Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Negotiating a price on a new '06 FXDI35???

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 10:50 AM
Kawboy40
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Negotiating a price on a new '06 FXDI35???

First off I'd like to say hello to everyone. I've been lurking here and I've learn some interesting things, but I have a question for those here who are in the know.

While I have purchased plenty of new bikes and trucks in my day, and I've always negotiated a price close to or well below MSRP. However I've never done so with a Harley Davidson. I know that in the past, or at least this was my impression in the 1990's, that supply was so short if you didn't agree to pay MSRP, freight, prep, & tax then you were SOL.

Well I found a dealership that still has a new '06 35th Anniversary
Edition Super Glide on the floor. I admired this model all last year but was not in the position to buy. I know this model isn't anything special but the paint scheme reminds me of my childhood and brings a smile to my face.

So I called and asked what kind of deal they had going and was advised that they were waving the freight, prep, & 6% sales tax. The OTD cost would be approx. $17,120 with the security system.

Now to me this doesn't seem like a screaming deal for a year old model with a TC88 motor. I was expecting a better OTD price. Some of the reasons I think this is because the economy here in Michigan isn't good at the moment, this dealer still has a showroom full of '07 models with 96ci motors (some at a MSRP that is a lot less), and they still have this left over '06.

I know dealerships have to make a profit and I don't mind them making money off me, that's their job. I just don't want to spend too much when I could've gotten a better deal. The main thing is that I have no idea what kind of wiggle room they would have on this bike. Can anyone here help me with what a fair counter offer would be or should I even bother with a starting price so high??? Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Old 05-26-2007, 11:01 AM
lowrider966
Tourer
Default RE: Negotiating a price on a new '06 FXDI35???

I don't know what MSRP is on that anny' edition but I got my FXDL OTD for approx. 17.5, which was no steal at all but I paid like $30 over MSRP for it with the limited ed. paint then add on Sec.+6% tax+ frieght+set up or whatever. Anyway they won as always....but I have heard of some guys getting 06' left over Street Bobs in the low 11's which is a steal. Sorry this prob didn't help much but it bumps the post for ya......

Old 05-26-2007, 11:14 AM
Kawboy40
Advanced

Thanks for the input LR966. Now that sounds like an excellent deal on a Street Bob. MSRP for the '06 FXDI35 is $16,795 plus $275 for the security system. Maybe $17,120 OTD is a good price. I just don't know how much wiggle room they have to negotiate with and I just figured with all the '07 models they have on the floor here they'd be more motivated to move an '06.

Old 05-26-2007, 11:16 AM
fastfxrs
Cruiser

kawboy40, I love the anniversary superglide. It really invokes a sense of history to me, more than any other anniversary edition H-D has come up with. But... its soon to be a 2 year old model. MSRP was $16,795 new, plus $275 for the security system. Is his OTD price hisbest offer, or is he willing to sit on it longer, waiting for the next sentimental buyer? I finally got a deal on my '07 WG ( $1000 off MSRP and set up and freight waived the trades I had ate up the tax) but I'm the king of paying full price usually. Good luck on your deal. If I had to have an TC88 again instead of my TC96, it would have to be a '06 dyna. Too many issues with other models.

Tim

Old 05-26-2007, 11:24 AM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Kawboy40

First off I'd like to say hello to everyone. I've been lurking here and I've learn some interesting things, but I have a question for those here who are in the know.

While I have purchased plenty of new bikes and trucks in my day, and I've always negotiated a price close to or well below MSRP. However I've never done so with a Harley Davidson. I know that in the past, or at least this was my impression in the 1990's, that supply was so short if you didn't agree to pay MSRP, freight, prep, & tax then you were SOL.

Well I found a dealership that still has a new '06 35th Anniversary
Edition Super Glide on the floor. I admired this model all last year but was not in the position to buy. I know this model isn't anything special but the paint scheme reminds me of my childhood and brings a smile to my face.

So I called and asked what kind of deal they had going and was advised that they were waving the freight, prep, & 6% sales tax. The OTD cost would be approx. $17,120 with the security system.

Now to me this doesn't seem like a screaming deal for a year old model with a TC88 motor. I was expecting a better OTD price. Some of the reasons I think this is because the economy here in Michigan isn't good at the moment, this dealer still has a showroom full of '07 models with 96ci motors (some at a MSRP that is a lot less), and they still have this left over '06.

I know dealerships have to make a profit and I don't mind them making money off me, that's their job. I just don't want to spend too much when I could've gotten a better deal. The main thing is that I have no idea what kind of wiggle room they would have on this bike. Can anyone here help me with what a fair counter offer would be or should I even bother with a starting price so high??? Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.
I saw those at several dealers last year. some were asking 20 to 21k !! (gouge) .. that deal does not sound bad at all.i really like that bike too.all i would change is the bars and put mini apes on it. Since the dealer said that. go in and offer them 1k less.You never know. ot get them to toss in a seat perhaps and some goodies...tell them you want 20% off all parts for the next year too.tell them you want 2 harley shirts too. push your luck and see if they will toss in a helmet !!!! good luck !!!!

The stock seat will kill you, trust me on this one .

Old 05-26-2007, 11:32 AM
lowrider966
Tourer

Look at it this way too...If you had that 06' to trade in he wouldn't give u squat 4 it cause of the 88"er'. It doesn't really go both ways , we all know that.... but he's gotta meet u in the middle! Ya know, I was brand f' in' new to HD when I bought my bike and now I see all these good deals guys are gettin'. Man, that bike won't be there 4ever but don't overpay for it unless you absolutely have to have it.

Old 05-26-2007, 02:09 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That bike's already got a premium price because of the anniversary paint, so it should still be at least $1000 off MSRP or more.

Old 05-26-2007, 03:10 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Pass it by.....it's too much $$$$$. Some dealers have those leftovers and they're pushing them for 14K

Irregardless if it's a 88 or a 96, they both have chain driven cams with soft tenshion shoes......these motors really need to be converted to gear driven cams. I converted mine...best way to go! Not too sure what makes a 2006 TC88 so superior to my 2005. With my gear drive conversion and automatic primary chain tensioner, my engine will last 100,000 miles no problem.

Joe

Old 05-26-2007, 03:17 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Call around to all dealers and do a comparison. Tell the other dealers that you can get it otd for 16K and see what kind of offers other places will do for you. I don't know about you, but the lowest otd price always wins in my book. Someone is bound to offer a better deal than that. If you figure there are probably 20 stealers at the bery least in most states, you got a lot of calling to do. Get busy...

Old 05-26-2007, 04:13 PM
89bruin
Novice

I'd negotiate hard or shop elsewhere; that's almost $2,000 more than I paid for my FXDI35 new.

Quick Reply: Negotiating a price on a new '06 FXDI35???