Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Negotiating a price on a new '06 FXDI35???

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 07:14 PM
haksaw
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Negotiating a price on a new '06 FXDI35???

i don't know how close in michigan this one is to you but you may want to keep an eye on it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harle...spagenameZWDVW

Old 05-26-2007, 11:41 PM
Kawboy40
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: 89bruin

I'd negotiate hard or shop elsewhere; that's almost $2,000 more than I paid for my FXDI35 new.
Bruin, could I ask whatthe OTD price was on your FXDI35?

Old 05-26-2007, 11:56 PM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Kawboy40

Negotiating a price on a new '06 FXDI35???

First off I'd like to say hello to everyone. I've been lurking here and I've learn some interesting things, but I have a question for those here who are in the know.

While I have purchased plenty of new bikes and trucks in my day, and I've always negotiated a price close to or well below MSRP. However I've never done so with a Harley Davidson. I know that in the past, or at least this was my impression in the 1990's, that supply was so short if you didn't agree to pay MSRP, freight, prep, & tax then you were SOL.

Well I found a dealership that still has a new '06 35th Anniversary
Edition Super Glide on the floor. I admired this model all last year but was not in the position to buy. I know this model isn't anything special but the paint scheme reminds me of my childhood and brings a smile to my face.

So I called and asked what kind of deal they had going and was advised that they were waving the freight, prep, & 6% sales tax. The OTD cost would be approx. $17,120 with the security system.

Now to me this doesn't seem like a screaming deal for a year old model with a TC88 motor. I was expecting a better OTD price. Some of the reasons I think this is because the economy here in Michigan isn't good at the moment, this dealer still has a showroom full of '07 models with 96ci motors (some at a MSRP that is a lot less), and they still have this left over '06.

I know dealerships have to make a profit and I don't mind them making money off me, that's their job. I just don't want to spend too much when I could've gotten a better deal. The main thing is that I have no idea what kind of wiggle room they would have on this bike. Can anyone here help me with what a fair counter offer would be or should I even bother with a starting price so high??? Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.
To be honest.that is the bike i wanted. just more money than i wanted to spend. I love that bike..as much as i hate to say it.i like it more than mybob .I just thought it was to much money last year at the local dealers going for 20k !! only thing i did not like was the bars on it ,i wanted the mini apes like on my bike. I drewel (spelling) when i see one even today . [sm=loveeyes.gif]I love the paint on it !

Old 05-27-2007, 04:10 AM
fendrix
Cruiser

After shopping around this winter, my guess is that the dealer makes between 3000 and 4000 per bike. I sat on an 06FXDC at a dealer with 6 of them sitting on the floor. The salesguy dropped 2000 without me even asking or pretending to be interested. I started the paperwork and when he called back the next day saying I was approved he also said he talked to the sales manager and would drop another 500 if I was interested. In spite of the seemingly great deal, I wasn't. It was early February and I figured I had time to find what I wanted, so I started shopping around.

Went to another dealer that practically shoved me on a bike I didn't want and forced a payment on me before I even told them I actually liked the bike...got a little pissed at the whole process and told them I was walking. I got to the parking lot and the sales manager came out arms waving telling me to stop and asked what he could do to get me on the bike (still pressuring...pissed me off even more) I told him to drop 3000 off the price or I was out. He said that left him with nothing and wanted to make at least 500 on the bike. I told him I'd think about it and left. Never been back. Just a super-high pressure sale that pushed me the wrong way...not even sure I'd buy a t shirt from them.

A few weeks later I went to a 3rd dealer that looked like I was holding him up at gun point by asking to come down 1000. Practically gave me the "I have to feed my kids" line.

Moral of the story...I was shopping in February/March with 07's on the floor. My guess would be that 2500 is probably the cut off, but if the dealer isn't in a push to sell, they won't sell.

Old 05-27-2007, 08:05 AM
89bruin
Novice

Right around $14,995 give or take a couple of digits. I was planning on getting an '07 Superglide Custom from overseas military sales but when I stumbled across the FXDI35 it was the better deal. I think the dealer had discounted it since it was just an 88!

Old 05-27-2007, 09:04 AM
Biggol
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: haksaw

i don't know how close in michigan this one is to you but you may want to keep an eye on it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harle...spagenameZWDVW
13k reserve + shipping - not bad at all!

Old 05-27-2007, 09:31 AM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

i would buy that bike if i was looking for one !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-27-2007, 09:40 AM
06dynablack
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seeing that bike is almost 2 yrs old.you should be able to get that bike otd for 15700 or less

Old 05-27-2007, 09:55 AM
SpeedMK
Cruiser

The number your dealer wants is insane.

I looked at one of these this past March when I was looking for a new HD. I had the dealer down to $13,500 including freight and setup. I ended up going with a '07 FXDL.

The bike you're looking at is only a superglide with the old 88ci motor with the 8 degree injectors, not the new 96 motor with the redesigned 25 degree injectors.

By comparison, my '07 FXDL cost me $16,000 with the laced wheel option and included freight and setup.

Tell the dedaler that the first rule of old inventory is that "your first loss is your best loss". Meaning, that bike isn't getting any more valuable over time.

If they're not willing to move, there's plenty of '07 inventory out there andmost dealers are cutting nice deals on them. I just saw a SE Vrod marked down to $18,000.

Good luck.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:04 PM
Kawboy40
Advanced

Thanks for all the advice guys. At least now I have some kind of idea where I stand. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Negotiating a price on a new '06 FXDI35???