Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual Gauge / Micky Mouse Set-up Quetions

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 11:43 AM
SquishyLowRider
Road Master
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by fxdx1985
Maybe I don't know enough about the CAN BUS system...but can't you buy a $12 roll of whatever gauge wiring from Home Depot and solder in extensions? I've done this on 3 bikes that were pre 2010.

Hell, if you're paying $100, for $75 I'll extend them for you.
That's kind of what I was thinking too.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:10 PM
DynaKid94
Road Warrior
Received 589 Likes on 334 Posts

From what I've heard the CANBUS system is stupid finicky about resistance and other stuff that wiring/electrical involves that I don't know. I like the idea of the extension harness because I really don't feel like hacking into my wiring harness for something I could honestly live without. $100 seems a little like trying to corner the market, until someone else starts selling them for cheaper...

Old 12-29-2016, 01:44 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,199 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Considering the harness it self cost 50-65, 100 aint that big of a leap to cry about foor a finished and guaranteed product vs a hackathon that could short out other parts and end up costing way more.

I'm pretty wreckless but, for something like this... i will pay. mind you, i have a wide glide, not a low rider. There are many little hurdles being cleared here. No just a simple hack and solder (as evidenced by the questions I'm asking).

My ignition switch is in the console. If i wanted to move it. Id need a special mount for the lookiing knod or would need to switch to a lr type keyed/thumb switch and mount.

the lr harness is not set up for a ignition switch under the console. A lot can go wrong here. Reducing the possible points of failure is important and possibly worth the extra $35. I could have probably planning this jobb better but, planning paralysis... i fail forward, lol.

Old 12-29-2016, 02:46 PM
SquishyLowRider
Road Master
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
Considering the harness it self cost 50-65, 100 aint that big of a leap to cry about foor a finished and guaranteed product vs a hackathon that could short out other parts and end up costing way more.

I'm pretty wreckless but, for something like this... i will pay. mind you, i have a wide glide, not a low rider. There are many little hurdles being cleared here. No just a simple hack and solder (as evidenced by the questions I'm asking).

My ignition switch is in the console. If i wanted to move it. Id need a special mount for the lookiing knod or would need to switch to a lr type keyed/thumb switch and mount.

the lr harness is not set up for a ignition switch under the console. A lot can go wrong here. Reducing the possible points of failure is important and possibly worth the extra $35. I could have probably planning this jobb better but, planning paralysis... i fail forward, lol.
You'll get there and probably before any of us.

I understand what your saying. I'm not big into wiring and saving the time of fiddling with the cutting and soldering might be worth it. For me, some days it just depends on the mood I'm in. Sometimes I'm more cautious others I say screw it and lets see what happens. I've benefited and lost both ways.

The following users liked this post:
cvaria (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 07:22 PM
cvaria
Supporter

yes.... there are new issues here for the glide.

the ignition switch will be an issue and the layout is what i though it was.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:52 PM
_LostSoul_
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxxsmart

Personally, I'd like to try their front motor mount, but I can't find a way to stomach that purchase.

Honestly, that harness may be the only thing I purchase from them.... But I am not there yet.
The motor mount is not made by BBC. Its a re-branded Chopper Hauss mount.

https://www.chopperhauss.net/collect...-chopper-hauss

The following 3 users liked this post by _LostSoul_:
Maxxsmart (12-29-2016), Nemosengineer (12-29-2016), Rusty19MCSFV (08-01-2017)
Old 12-29-2016, 10:16 PM
Nemosengineer
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by _LostSoul_
The motor mount is not made by BBC. Its a re-branded Chopper Hauss mount.

https://www.chopperhauss.net/collect...-chopper-hauss
Most Excellent Information!!! Everything they make is very cool, Thanks for the link.

: Mike

The following users liked this post:
Rusty19MCSFV (08-01-2017)
Old 12-30-2016, 05:34 PM
cvaria
Supporter

turns out i'm not crazy, just blind..... sat with the parts folks at the dealer and was shown the errors of my ways. i'm going to have a crows nest under that console.

the ignition lead goes to the this sub harness with the horn and ignition switch collection. http://www.outpostalaska.com/OEMpart...RUMENTS_-_FXDL

ordered.

Last edited by cvaria; 12-30-2016 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:24 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Default the lower harness

lower harness came in....

Old 01-11-2017, 12:56 PM
cvaria
Supporter

Dropped off the main portion of the harness to have the speedo and tach wires extended 18". Yes, i b!+€#£) out of doing it.

now looking for long 8-32×[x] screws to hold the guage rear cover in place on the dash/console until i come up with a better idea.

deviant fabrication never responded... i hope they get coal next xmas.

Quick Reply: Dual Gauge / Micky Mouse Set-up Quetions