Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Simpson Outlaw Bandit Helmet...Whats so great?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 09:03 PM
Plasteredcat
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ride with a shark vision R . Only 3.2 lbs with internal visor. Hardly any wind noise . I had read many of the Simpson reviews and there not good. The only positive thing I have read on that lamest is how much it weighs.

Attached Thumbnails Simpson Outlaw Bandit Helmet...Whats so great?-image.jpeg  
Old 10-03-2016, 03:13 PM
DM426
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 772 Likes on 369 Posts

Apparently, there is now a 'Ghost' variant of this helmet which is a significant upgrade from the stylish, but cheap, previous versions. According to the review, it also corrects many of the design shortcomings of earlier versions. They say it's quieter, made of better materials, has proper ear cups, and it both DOT and ECE certified.

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...e-helmet-test/
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...-carbon-helmet

Anyone here tried it?

Last edited by DM426; 10-03-2016 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:49 PM
Ghost_13
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,890 Likes on 3,220 Posts

Originally Posted by DM426
Apparently, there is now a 'Ghost' variant of this helmet which is a significant upgrade from the stylish, but cheap, previous versions. According to the review, it also corrects many of the design shortcomings of earlier versions. They say it's quieter, made of better materials, has proper ear cups, and it both DOT and ECE certified.

Anyone here tried it?
You mean like post 5 in this very thread

Damned if I know

Originally Posted by Ghost_13
I'v got a Ghost Bandit (go figure)

Slices through air like a knife / no buffeting - at speed
Inner and outer shields
Light (referring to the non carbon one)
Comfortable
Ventilation is pretty good
Noise - not excessive w/ the outer shield down
View - plenty

Ghost

Ghost

The following 2 users liked this post by Ghost_13:
FattyMcJ (10-04-2016), Johnny Goodlife (06-18-2021)
Old 10-03-2016, 03:55 PM
DM426
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 772 Likes on 369 Posts

I guess I didn't realize this Ghost version was such a big improvement from earlier versions.

I may have to check this one out. Thanks.

Old 10-03-2016, 04:01 PM
ALstew
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cggorman
Time for a replacement, brother. The shell and liner plastics deteriorate with age and may not protect you in a crash. Shoei recommends 5 years, I believe...so 8 is probably safe, but 10 may be pushing it
Thanks, this answered my question I was thinking when reading through.

Old 10-05-2016, 02:35 PM
DynaKid94
Road Warrior
Received 589 Likes on 334 Posts

I run the street bandit, don't seem to have all the same problems as people running the outlaw bandits. It's comfortable, wind noise is down significantly from my old Bell (I can actually hear my SENA at 80+), and it doesn't smash my ears, which my Bell did. Ventilation is decent, it's SNELL rated as well as DOT, has spots for my SENA speakers, and weight? I didn't know that was an issue...

Don't get the hate. I don't run it because the cool kids do, I run it because I like it. Feels solid, and it fits my huge, fat head, something I've struggled with - trying to find a safe helmet that won't pop my head like a cherry, and that doesn't make me look like this guy...

Wear what you want. I'd say go try some helmets on before you buy one.

Last edited by DynaKid94; 10-05-2016 at 02:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
FattyMcJ (10-06-2016)
Old 10-06-2016, 11:40 PM
Plasteredcat
Road Master

Glad to here you like it. The reviews on revzilla on that model where all bad. Maybe just haters on that helmet . Thanks for the review.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:41 AM
Nemosengineer
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 159 Posts

Arai helmets are about the only helmet I can get my head into, Shoei helmets try to tear my ears off putting them on. The high end helmets from Shoei or Arai are equal in most respects, it all boils down to the fit. I have a lot of miles on my current Arai Corsair and can say nothing bothered me about it, it fits and vents well, the visor fit and function is perfect and it does not leak in the rain. Its due for replacement and I'm looking at another Arai Corsair or the Bell Pro Star, both are Snell M2015 helmets. I have to get out and stick my head in the Bell as I haven't owned a Bell helmet in 26 years, last one was a Moto-5. Damn I'm old, my first helmet was the original Bell Star in 1972.
I would not consider a non-Snell helmet, there is a difference.

: Mike

Old 10-07-2016, 01:18 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

I was able to go down a size once I found a helmet that actually fit the shape of my head. All other things being equal, I believe this makes as much difference in subjective performance criteria as anything else. Buffeting, noise, venting, etc.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:52 AM
Plasteredcat
Road Master

I made a switch to Shark Vison R two years ago. I actually live not to fair away from revzilla and can't say enough about the customer service. They set a bunch of helmets up and showed me how a helmet should feel and function. I had actually went up wanting a AGV and found a cheaper price helmet , a lot lighter & fit perfect. I can not say enough about Shark... I realize it's not an American product BUT in this case I could make the exception .

Quick Reply: Simpson Outlaw Bandit Helmet...Whats so great?