Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Simpson Outlaw Bandit Helmet...Whats so great?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 08:58 PM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,272 Likes on 600 Posts

It's a cosmetic helmet and nothing more.......

Seems to be a fad amongst certain HD riders. Maybe they feel better wearing a full face helmet that you won't see a sport biker rider with. But at the end of the day there's a reason why. Over priced,heavy,noisy, and lack of amenities like SNELL rated protection or pockets for blue tooth speakers.

But on the Plus side you'll "look cool"

Old 09-28-2016, 09:37 PM
HrdNox
Stellar HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

Nothing.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:45 PM
JoshFXDL
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

still rolling Shoei RF1000 for last 10 years, in like new condition (minus a few scratches from dropping).

Old 09-28-2016, 09:49 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

I'm with most everybody else. The Simpson looks cool, but I'll take my Shoei Qwest over the Simpson any day.

Felt like I needed add: No fairings on my bikes and I've planted a Qwest into the ground at speed.

Last edited by cggorman; 09-28-2016 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:54 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by JoshFXDL
still rolling Shoei RF1000 for last 10 years, in like new condition (minus a few scratches from dropping).
Time for a replacement, brother. The shell and liner plastics deteriorate with age and may not protect you in a crash. Shoei recommends 5 years, I believe...so 8 is probably safe, but 10 may be pushing it

The following 2 users liked this post by cggorman:
Deuuuce (07-06-2017), Skye120 (01-02-2020)
Old 09-29-2016, 06:31 AM
Maxxsmart
Road Master
Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

I loved my Simpson drag helmet, but when I was picking out a motorcycle lid, it was laughable how much they wanted, and with such few features.

Knowing what I know now, one of the first things I look at in a helmet is how many shell sizes the manufacturer offers. There are a lot out there that will use the same shell, but simply add more or take out padding when moving sizes. Shoei Qwest, and RF1200 both have four size specific shells.

The Simpson might be cool looking, but to me, lack of vents, and loud helmets aren't functional. The RF1200 will my next helmet in the Spring.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:15 AM
rydercheers
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I've got a Icon Airmada and I love it. I know you said you didn't want a sportbike looking helmet but Icons gone to some less flashy colorways the past couple of years. I also have a variant but with a 1/4 fairing it directs the wind straight into the visor on the helmet and get crazy buffeting and headshakes.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:03 AM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 900 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by cggorman
Felt like I needed add: No fairings on my bikes and I've planted a Qwest into the ground at speed.
Excellent point. Nobody knows how well gear protects if you haven't crashed in it (unfortunately), although listening to other people's first-hand accounts is valuable.

In my ongoing plug for the Bell Star (although I would never say anything negative about Shoei), I will add that I've hit pavement at about 60 mph while wearing a Star, and it did it's job admirably. Granted, I was on a track (so there were no concrete columns to hit, fortunately) so there was probably more sliding than impacting, but still...

After the crash I took the liner out and examined the impact absorption stuff carefully. I couldn't find any sign of damage, and the shell only showed some scratching (and a toasted shield), but I did of course replace it anyway.

Old 09-29-2016, 01:08 PM
FattyMcJ
Tourer
Received 155 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm in the market for a new lid myself, and I'm REALLY wanting an Outlaw Bandit. I read the mixed reviews and take it with a grain of salt.

Helmets are like seats, nobody's head is the same and some like different features than others, so ultimately you have to choose for yourself.

They're hugely popular in CA with the dyna guys so that tells me they can't be TOO bad, right? Why would sponsored riders use that over a Shoei if it sucks that bad? Why would the no-fairing guys use a helmet if it's "annoyingly loud"? Makes you wonder.

To that same effect, have you seen the new Biltwell Lanesplitter? It looks VERY similar to the Outlaw Bandit, but with different features and a few more vents.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/b...plitter-helmet

Old 09-29-2016, 02:36 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

I'm sure they protect the same and sponsored riders get special equipment in addition to money. A pro's helmet is probably custom fit to his skull and tuned to suit his needs/wants.

Regardless, people will put up with a pile of **** to roll with the cool kids...and they may not even know what they're missing.

Is the outlaw bandit a pile of **** $50 bucket? No! However, is it "special" as the OP asks? Also No!

Pick what you like and ride.
Just wear your gear, guys.

The following users liked this post:
FattyMcJ (09-29-2016)

Quick Reply: Simpson Outlaw Bandit Helmet...Whats so great?