Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tight caliper on Fatbob

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 07:50 PM
Jeereemy Levy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tight caliper on Fatbob

First off I've been reading these forums for about a year now and there is so much knowledge being shared here it is awesome. Thank you for having this!!

I tried searching for my problem but cant find a thread that is similar so here goes...

I just put a new tire on the front of my 2014 Dyna Fat Bob. Actually not as hard as I thought it would be and with the help and guidance of everyone in the forums(and a lil bit of youtube) it's done. My issue is now that I am trying to reinstall everything my calipers are not fitting back in right. I made sure to write on the spacers before pulling the wheel so I am 100% sure they are on right sides. I have the wheel cranked down to 105ft/lb torque. I did pull one of my rotors during the tire swap but its back on and they are spinning straight.

The one side is tight on the caliper and the other is slightly loose which means to me my wheel is not centered but if my spacers are on the right sides what else could throw it off?

Thank you in advance for all your help!

Old 09-26-2016, 07:54 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,957 Likes on 1,440 Posts

What do you mean tight?
Are the rotors in the middle of the calipers?

Old 09-26-2016, 07:56 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Did you compress the pistons/pads?

Old 09-26-2016, 08:04 PM
Jeereemy Levy
Intermediate

I am sliding the calipers onto the rotors to tighten them down to the forks. When I slide them on they have a little bit of play on my right side and they are tight to the point that I can barley slide them into place on the left.

I did not touch the brakes when they were removed. As soon as I took the bolts out I hung them by bungee cords. I did however jam the cord in between the pads, would this move them that much? Should I take them apart and compress them?

Old 09-26-2016, 08:27 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts

I would...

Cover my tank with a towel and loosen my m/c cap and press the pistons back. Tighten the m/c cap. Mount my calipers and then give the lever a few squeezes.

No promises. .. thats just what I would do.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:14 AM
jdvorchak
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

disk brake calipers "float" so what you're describing is perfectly normal. The first time you use the brakes it will go back to normal. If you had the shims wrong you wouldn't have been able to fit the calipers back on at all.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:16 AM
jdvorchak
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Forgot to mention. Since you are new to this, disk brakes do NOT free wheel. There is always a little drag. So if you can spin the wheel, after assembly, you're good.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:33 AM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jdvorchak
Forgot to mention. Since you are new to this, disk brakes do NOT free wheel. There is always a little drag. So if you can spin the wheel, after assembly, you're good.
All sounds normal. IF you can get the caliper back on the disc, it will be fine (assuming you did get the spacers on the right sides). After installing everything, give the tire a spin and operate the brakes. It should be good.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:28 PM
Jeereemy Levy
Intermediate

Ok so i've been messing with it all morning...

My wheel just does not seem aligned in the forks. The center seam of the tire should be up the center of the fender as a guide point, correct? My disks are definitely spaced differently from the fork legs and the wheel just looks off. I tried flipping the spacers, flipping the wheel and flipping the spacers again but nothing winds up even.

I have it back together the way it was from the dealership at this point and the calipers are bolted on. The pads are dragging but it seems aggressive, it is WAY more than my back pads drag. Is this normal? The wheel spins but with some definite effort.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:46 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,957 Likes on 1,440 Posts

can ya get any pics from the front?

Quick Reply: Tight caliper on Fatbob