Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Rider Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 08:38 PM
HIHarley
Stage III
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Rider Advice

As a new rider Im looking to buy my first bike. I know both bikes Im considering might be a bit heavy but Im a firm believer in not buying anything 2-3 times and getting what you really want the first time around. Plus the wife will only let me buy this once and only once! No selling for an upgrade down the line!

Quite frankly I love the look and feel of the Street Bob. Love the ape hangers, the looks, the sound, etc. Its what I always envisioned as my "perfect Harley ride." I found a great street bob from a private party, with most of the mods Id consider, including thunder header exhaust, gel seat, power commander, etc, for a good price, and quite low miles. 2014 with around 2-3k miles, approx 11k.

However I also found a stock 2001 Sport Touring (FXDXT) for around 8.5k from a local dealer (no bags). Quite tempting as I know these are highly sought after bikes with a TON of versatility. Only 20k miles. It would be great to save 3k but I wonder if Id be left wanting the newer, modified Street Bob.

Id really value any thoughts or opinion from you all. Thanks in advance.

The following users liked this post:
Mxdad (09-30-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 10:18 PM
k-weaver
Cruiser
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

FXDXT is highly sought after? Sure your not thinking of FXRT?

I'd do the street bob. The 103 motor will have more power. Whatever you get expect to spend lots money as there will be things you'll want to change over time.

Old 09-25-2016, 10:25 PM
nightsterept
Road Captain
Received 343 Likes on 189 Posts

Street Bob all the way. Much newer, all mods done for you already, you said its exactly what you want, larger displacement motor (103), EFI (I see it as a huge plus, although some would prefer carb), low miles...complete no brainer in my honest opinion.

Are you only looking at an early 2000 FXDX because they are the trendy club style bike right now? Why is this 2001 appealing to you?

Old 09-25-2016, 10:32 PM
Dyna916
6th Gear

I vote street bob no old style tensioners to worry about upgrades already done. Also a no brainier for me

Old 09-25-2016, 11:01 PM
Fireguy88
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

The DXT is a highly desirable bike to many people. But is it to you? You could turn your street bob into a DXT pretty easily. Personally I'd go with the newer model that already has expensive mods done to it with low miles. Just me.

Old 09-25-2016, 11:10 PM
JesseDyna
Road Warrior
Received 315 Likes on 229 Posts

What give you impression the DXT is some prize? It is a higher end Dyna but when I hear lower miles, newer , if it's what you like, go for it. Best way to answer is with a long test ride on both. There's nothing wrong with buying a bike and getting rid of it in search of that perfect bike. You have to calibrate on what is important and that comes with miles.

Marriage and the word "let" - that's another matter entirely. Best of luck with that.

Old 09-25-2016, 11:44 PM
JK_Showtime
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HIHarley
As a new rider Im looking to buy my first bike. I know both bikes Im considering might be a bit heavy but Im a firm believer in not buying anything 2-3 times and getting what you really want the first time around. Plus the wife will only let me buy this once and only once! No selling for an upgrade down the line!

Quite frankly I love the look and feel of the Street Bob. Love the ape hangers, the looks, the sound, etc. Its what I always envisioned as my "perfect Harley ride." I found a great street bob from a private party, with most of the mods Id consider, including thunder header exhaust, gel seat, power commander, etc, for a good price, and quite low miles. 2014 with around 2-3k miles, approx 11k.

However I also found a stock 2001 Sport Touring (FXDXT) for around 8.5k from a local dealer (no bags). Quite tempting as I know these are highly sought after bikes with a TON of versatility. Only 20k miles. It would be great to save 3k but I wonder if Id be left wanting the newer, modified Street Bob.

Id really value any thoughts or opinion from you all. Thanks in advance.
if your saying your not going to be able to upgrade for a long time then get the Street Bob and create what you want. The FXDXT is an awesome bike but I wouldn't pay almost 9k for one in my area. Maybe out in the Bay Area where they are going for a premium. Those and the FXDX are the bikes a lot of the freestyle and club style guys ride. I myself ride a club style fxd. But I'll also tell you that most of us who ride that style spend obscene amounts of money and time on our bikes. The paint jobs you see on some of them alone can easily be 3k-5k. Many of us also beat our bikes up heavily with the way we ride them. But it is a style/culture that some like. That street bob can go any direction you want!!! Plus with that 88" you are going to have to replace the tensioners and your also not getting the fuel injection which can be really nice to have.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:35 AM
Kid Red
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From your post you already sound like an intelligent guy, buying what you want the first time instead of starting off with something and trading up down the line. I think you already know which one you want and I don't think you're going to hear something here that will change that.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:42 AM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

I sorted with a pod Suzuki, then upgraded to a 15 streetbob. Had it for a year and loved it, now I just upgraded to lowrider s. Very similar bike, bigger engine, abs, and ugly wheels. Can't go wrong with a street bob. I just wanted more power. STREET BOB!!!

Old 09-29-2016, 10:57 PM
HIHarley
Stage III
Default follow-up

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts. I was ready to pull the trigger on the Street Bob this week, but hesitated when a 2012 Fat Bob came on the market. Its higher mileage (20k+) and only 96ci (not the 103), and completely stock, but its about 3500 less which would give me room to customize. I like the look of the street bob with the ape hangers, etc. However, as a first bike, Ive heard really great reviews of the fat bob, as one of the best handling bikes that HD has ever made. Plus we live in an area that gets a lot of rain with a lot of windy roads. If I want to ride rain and twisties are inevitable...

Thoughts? Thanks in advance for any guidance, opinions, comments...

Quick Reply: New Rider Advice