Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cable kit question....

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 10:38 AM
b1gj0n44
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Cable kit question....

So i just ordered 16" wild1 chubby bars for my 01 FXDWG. I want to go with Magnum cables, but their customer service department is no help whatsoever. They have a kit for 15-17" bars that I want to buy, but not sure if that accounts for the width of the bars as well. I called them, and they couldnt even tell me the lengths of what was included in the kit. Anyone know if that kit will work or if i should go to the next size up (18-20" kit)?? Or what length cable should i be looking for over stock with the wild1 chubbys 16"??

Old 09-20-2016, 12:04 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

You can be pretty sure that bar width is part of the equation, there is no handle bar available that starts at "0" and/or +32 (for width).
However, I would recommend;
Just wait till you get the bars and hang them on the bike (mock up),, and use a single stiff wire or string or yarn or what ever you have on hand,, run this wire in the route you want to use for your cables/brake line,, then measure the length of that "mocked up" wire.
Use this handy feature on the Magnum site to find the length you actually need;
https://www.magnumshielding.com/inde...te=bike/search
I saved about 35 bucks by having an Independent shop order the Magnum cables I needed from from Drag Specialties,, if you look at the individual cables needed the DS number is even listed.
Get the bars first, mock'm up, measure,, then order,, you've waited this long to get the bars, what's another few weeks to get the right cables.
Don't forget wire extensions,, I got that kit from Dennis Kirk.

The following users liked this post:
b1gj0n44 (09-20-2016)
Old 09-20-2016, 05:26 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by b1gj0n44
So i just ordered 16" wild1 chubby bars for my 01 FXDWG. I want to go with Magnum cables, but their customer service department is no help whatsoever. They have a kit for 15-17" bars that I want to buy, but not sure if that accounts for the width of the bars as well. I called them, and they couldnt even tell me the lengths of what was included in the kit. Anyone know if that kit will work or if i should go to the next size up (18-20" kit)?? Or what length cable should i be looking for over stock with the wild1 chubbys 16"??
Great bars, you'll love the look and feel of the Wild 1s. I'd steer away from Magnum. I went with them when I put 14s on my RK and slowly did away with them. They don't hold up and they don't know wtf their doing when you call them. I personally recommend Hill City Customs, now those guys know their $hit and the quality of their cable (the vynol stock style which is my preference, can't testify on their braided) is very good and well priced.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:43 PM
Jake911
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I did a lot of research when I purchased cables and brake lines a month or so ago. This is the first bad review of Magnum Shield I've seen. I do agree their customer service knowledge is lacking, and you have to know what you want. I found the MS cables to be very well made. Who knows, I only had them on for a few weeks. I'll see.

I looked up the Hill City cables and its cables on the site are all Drag Specialties, both stock style and braided. Nothing wrong with those either. I've had the DS braided on my soft tail for years with no problem.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:06 AM
b1gj0n44
Cruiser

I started with the plan of going with the HCC kit with the bars, but it was like pulling teeth trying to get in touch with them for any questions, so i moved on. Im with you Jake, ive been doing endless research (prob information overload ha) and i havent seen anything negative about Magnum. EXCEPT, when you call them they cant help you at all. They couldnt even tell me the lengths of the cables included in their complete kits, so you really gotta measure yourself.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:09 PM
b1gj0n44
Cruiser

The guy at Wild1 said i need 8 in over stock for a 16 inch bar.. which i guess sounds right since im going up about 6 inches and about 2 inches wider. Im going with Magnum Sterling Chromite 2's