Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I raise it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007 | 03:22 AM
hooserdaddy3
|
6th Gear
Default How do I raise it?

Hey yall! I recently bought a 2000 Wide Glide that is slammed. I want to raise it back up to stock heighth but cant figure out how. It looks good lowered but the ride is killing my back! Its like riding a hard tail, no shock absorbtion at all. It has adjustable shocks and I tried to turn them but they are very tight. Do I just crank on them until it raises or is there a lowering kit on it that needs to be removed? I feel like a knucklehead asking this. Please advise...
John

[IMG]local://upfiles/32994/FB0D8050C53846419217386EBEA0BBD8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-25-2007 | 06:14 AM
xlc06
Advanced
Default RE: How do I raise it?

Welcome to HD motorcycles. They arn't famous for their comfort. You can put 2 grand into suspension and seating, and a 10 year old honda will still be 10x more comfortable to ride. As for raising your rear end and making itrideable you need longer shocks. Most go with progressive. Ask around for the original shock length, and consider going a little longer than that if comfort is abig issue.

Old 05-25-2007 | 08:52 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member

The adjustable rear shocks on your bike now won't do much to change the height. Adjusting the shocks will make the ride stiffer or softer. A death grip on the shock may allow you to turn it to change the ride. If the rear wheel is off the ground, it may be easier. There is a wrench available which will grab the shock in the holes of the base and make adjustment simple. The wrench is available from the dealer, aftermarket suppliers, or eBay.

Old 05-25-2007 | 09:40 AM
Atomic Injector
Cruiser

If those are 11" shocks I might be interrested in buying them from you, let me know.

Old 05-25-2007 | 10:07 AM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member

A lot of the "cool" mods people find on their bikes don't necessary make for a comfortable ride as you've found out. The stock length of the shocks for your year were likely 12.5", measured center of the uppper to the center of the lower mount on the uncompressed shock. Put on a shorter shock, and the back of the bike drops the corresponding amount.

To determine the length of your current shocks, you'll have to unbolt the top or bottom of one shock so that it can extend to the full uncompressed length. Measure the distance between the mounting holes and go from there. If they are 11", you can probably unload them on E-bay or posting them in the for sale section here. Your dealer can tell you what the stock length is, or check the Progressive Suspension website, they have all of this stuff listed there.

Old 05-25-2007 | 10:11 AM
WdGldDave
Road Captain

Congrats! That's a great looking WG.

Old 05-25-2007 | 02:12 PM
hooserdaddy3
|
6th Gear

Thanks yall, I will look in to longer shocks. Injector, if I decide to sell them I will let you know.

Old 05-25-2007 | 03:25 PM
reh13
Road Master

The length of the stock shock on a 00 wide glide is 12.6 inches. Don't ask my why the .6 instead of a 12.5, but that's what they are. Progressive actually makes a 12.6 shock for the wide glide in the 412 series, but if you move up to the 418's or the 440's, they will be 12.5 inches. The wrench refered to above, is called a spanner wrench. It's used to adjust the preload, not the length.

Old 05-25-2007 | 03:41 PM
lolife
Road Warrior

buy a mud grip............................LO................ ..............

Old 05-25-2007 | 04:44 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

it is possible your front end was lowered as well.

Progressive has a chart that will show all the lengths they sell, and the stock length is indicated.
If you are under 300lbs, I would not consider the HD version of their shocks (heavy duty) ... regardless of what they might say (I think 220 is their cut to reccommending HD's)
I wouldn't go with Progressives fork springs if I were you.. I replaced mine after one season to Race Tech springs

edit: oh yeah, you can go with 12" shocks from progressive and not really lose anything in handling and ride.

Quick Reply: How do I raise it?