Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power/torque loss?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 01:24 PM
therick04pp
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default power/torque loss?

Hi all,

So last week I noticed a problem with my 10' street bob. It normally pulls like a beast and can feel the power pull you backwards, when you open the throttle. Went out for about 200 miles, all was good. The next week I go out again for another ride. 8 hours (on and off) and it feels like a lesser bike to me. It no longer pulls you backwards and feels like it has half the power it used to have. Only thing I noticed, is the exhaust seems quieter and not as deep.

No sputtering, no strange noises but the power is just not there. Not sure how to explain this to a tech. It runs and rides just feels like the awesome power it had, is gone.

Since then I have replaced the front tire (needed it bad), had the clutch adjusted (no change) new plugs, gapped correctly, new air filter and plug wires. No change. I noticed some gunk on the butterfly behind the air filter. I cleaned it out before putting on the new filter. After I replaced the filter and went to start it, it let out a pretty good puff of white smoke from the air filter (but kept running fine).

Took it for a ride, same deal. It doesn't feel like the same motor to me anymore. Both pipes are putting out hot exhaust and no other symptoms. Anyone have any ideas before I have to start throwing gobs of cash at a tech to go through it?

Old 09-13-2016, 04:09 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 762 Likes on 528 Posts

I would adjust that clutch again, a slipping clutch would make you think you've lost some power.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:43 PM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Pull the air cleaner and check that the throttle is opening correctly.

Old 09-13-2016, 05:43 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by therick04pp
Hi all,

So last week I noticed a problem with my 10' street bob. It normally pulls like a beast and can feel the power pull you backwards, when you open the throttle. Went out for about 200 miles, all was good. The next week I go out again for another ride. 8 hours (on and off) and it feels like a lesser bike to me. It no longer pulls you backwards and feels like it has half the power it used to have. Only thing I noticed, is the exhaust seems quieter and not as deep.

No sputtering, no strange noises but the power is just not there. Not sure how to explain this to a tech. It runs and rides just feels like the awesome power it had, is gone.

Since then I have replaced the front tire (needed it bad), had the clutch adjusted (no change) new plugs, gapped correctly, new air filter and plug wires. No change. I noticed some gunk on the butterfly behind the air filter. I cleaned it out before putting on the new filter. After I replaced the filter and went to start it, it let out a pretty good puff of white smoke from the air filter (but kept running fine).

Took it for a ride, same deal. It doesn't feel like the same motor to me anymore. Both pipes are putting out hot exhaust and no other symptoms. Anyone have any ideas before I have to start throwing gobs of cash at a tech to go through it?
I headed out earlier than most of the indigenous last weekend and it was a bit colder than I'm used to riding. The motor gave me a similar distinction. Once it got warmer out the motor warmed up and I got my power back. HD motors don't like it too cold, was it colder than your normal riding temperatures perhaps?

Old 09-13-2016, 06:14 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,246 Likes on 3,408 Posts

Mine is certainly a cold blooded bitch, as well as running hot as fuc* when the temp gets north of 90.

I had a similar experience all week, low 40s in the morning...gutless. Not my typical experience with colder, denser air! My diesel loves it.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:32 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,225 Likes on 2,459 Posts

Hi all,

It could be a number of things. I would adjust the clutch again, make sure it is not slipping.

You don't mention if you're running a tuner, but there are times that a tuner (especially a piggyback tuner) can "lose" the tune and need to be reset/reflashed. Just saw that happen last weekend with someone. Bike was running great, then...poof, it was running like crap. He re-loaded his tune and it was running good again.

The other thing it could be is that some of that gunk is causing one of your sensor to malfunction.

Once you get whatever it is straightened out, look at installing an External Breather System (EBS) to keep your intake and combustion chambers clean and functioning optimally.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 09-13-2016, 07:47 PM
Maxxsmart
Road Master
Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man
I would adjust that clutch again, a slipping clutch would make you think you've lost some power.

Exactly. Slipping is loss of power to the rear wheel. I adjusted mine recently, and it was like a new bike again.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:41 AM
therick04pp
Intermediate

Thanks for the help fellas. The butterfly opens and closes clean and crisp, no issues there. As far as temp, it has been within 10 degrees of normal temp around here. I will start with the clutch. I had the shop that put on the tire do the clutch, they said they would throw it in, no charge. Although I didn't notice any real difference after they supposedly adjusted it.

As far as a tune, I bought it used from a reputable guy. No tuner came with it. Now that you mention it, I have a superchip in my truck and every year I have to remove the tune for my annual inspection. It feels EXACTLY like that! It feels exactly like I lost a tune. Is there any way to check if it had a tune at one point? What is a rough estimate for me to bring it to the local dealer for them to put it on their dyno and see if she is running good for what's on it (that I can see), SEplugs and wires, SE stage 1 AC, V&H big raduis. If I need a tuner, whats a good one that won't kill my wallet?

First Harley here and Im addicted, sorry for all the questions but thanks for all the help.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:22 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,225 Likes on 2,459 Posts

Thanks for the help fellas. The butterfly opens and closes clean and crisp, no issues there. As far as temp, it has been within 10 degrees of normal temp around here. I will start with the clutch. I had the shop that put on the tire do the clutch, they said they would throw it in, no charge. Although I didn't notice any real difference after they supposedly adjusted it.

As far as a tune, I bought it used from a reputable guy. No tuner came with it. Now that you mention it, I have a superchip in my truck and every year I have to remove the tune for my annual inspection. It feels EXACTLY like that! It feels exactly like I lost a tune. Is there any way to check if it had a tune at one point? What is a rough estimate for me to bring it to the local dealer for them to put it on their dyno and see if she is running good for what's on it (that I can see), SEplugs and wires, SE stage 1 AC, V&H big raduis. If I need a tuner, whats a good one that won't kill my wallet?

First Harley here and Im addicted, sorry for all the questions but thanks for all the help.
Dealers vary in what they charge, but you should be able to get a dyno run and see if the tune is good for under $100. But if it is not, then they will want to sell you a tuner and some dyno tuning...that could cost north of $500 and no guarantee of a good tune.

Better to buy a tuner (if you need it) that has an included map and auto-tune, and be done with it. That way you will know you have a good tune for the $ spent.

The tuners we use that produce great results, and are easy to use are-

FP3 or the Power Vision

You can see more info on them HERE

Old 09-14-2016, 11:03 AM
therick04pp
Intermediate

Adjusted the clutch again myself. Although it does shift better now, no change in how it feels. The exhaust really seems to be quieter.. like it doesn't have the compression it had. Used to be able to feel the thump in my chest, now it's more of a high pitched rumble. It feels like it is holding back through the gears, no more get up and go.

Not sure what I should do at this point. I hate to spend money on a tuner not knowing if it losing it's tune is the issue. Installing one now, could mask an underlying issue and there is def something very not right. Like I said, this all literally happened over night.. Lucky me.

Quick Reply: power/torque loss?