Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To move up to a street glide or not move up to a street glide.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016 | 09:27 PM
hitman1267
|
Cruiser
Default To move up to a street glide or not move up to a street glide.

I've been considering the new 2017 street glide and trade in my 2011 wide glide. I test drove the bike and she felt great. A lil bulkier but the radio, bigger tank and the new engine is all appealing. Just wanted to ask the forum for their opinions.

Old 09-10-2016 | 09:52 PM
Maxxsmart
Road Master

I'd say you have a nice ride there already. I guess it really depends on what you want out of your bike.

I've never been a big fan of the big touring bikes, but then I came across these on the HD site, and I have to say that they are intriguing for sure. If I were shopping for a new ride today, I would at least look at these this time around.

Old 09-10-2016 | 10:43 PM
motorbikemike48
Cruiser

i love my dyna .. if i were to go the bagger route .. a street glide would be my pick .. especially with all the new features .. i test rode one back in 2010 and liked it .. a road glide or ultra would be too much for my tastes .. jmho .. mbm

Old 09-10-2016 | 11:00 PM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by hitman1267
I've been considering the new 2017 street glide and trade in my 2011 wide glide. I test drove the bike and she felt great. A lil bulkier but the radio, bigger tank and the new engine is all appealing. Just wanted to ask the forum for their opinions.
A "little" bulkier doesn't quite describe it. Living with a touring bike day to day is much different than a Dyna. Just maneuvering around the garage takes some doing. I miss my Road King's highway manners. Other than that I ride my Dyna more often for short hops and enjoy its agility. I don't need or want a radio. You should invest in a weekend rental of what you are considering before jumping in. You may love it. Or maybe not.

Old 09-11-2016 | 01:02 AM
slimatsea
Cruiser

Just curious, why do people say "move up" to a touring bike? Is it because they're bigger more expensive?

Here are my thoughts. I've had 4 Harleys. 2013 Road Glide Custom, 2014 Limited, 2015 Street Glide Special and now a Low Rider S. They've all been different, but I wouldn't consider any of them a step up from the other. My wife and I used to ride 2 up 10K miles a year so I always wanted a touring style bike. Last year she started going on less and less trips. When she did come along it was only if we trailered and then at the destination we'd do 100-200 miles tops. I was commuting in traffic on this huge bike with a fairing pushing engine heat back at me and my buddies on Dynas were running away from me on the weekends. And for what? Then I said screw it and got an FXDLS. It's a blast around town and for my commute. I can do solo 400 mile days easy. I use a Sena headset with my phone and have all of the music, com, nav that my touring bikes had. The wife can come along for a ride. Will we do 2 up touring? No effing way. Maybe a weekend trip that is lots of short rides with long stops in between. So, since we're not doing 2 up touring these days, the Dyna is the bike for me. If she decided tomorrow that we were going to start riding up to Laconia again, I'd sell the Dyna and get a new Road Glide. Short answer long, buy the bike that matches the riding you're gonna do. Side note, I did pistons, cams, TB, and heads on my Street Glide. The Dyna stock was more fun.

The following users liked this post:
motorbikemike48 (09-11-2016)
Old 09-11-2016 | 02:17 AM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Hell yes.

HD #2 will be a new SG.

hitman1267 (09-11-2016)
Old 09-11-2016 | 04:16 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member

if you can afford it I say GO for it.. you only live once so don't live with regret

hitman1267 (09-11-2016)
Old 09-11-2016 | 04:44 AM
JayFL549
Advanced

Originally Posted by hitman1267
Might not be a popular answer in the Dyna Section but I say " Go For It " If nothing else come back and tell us that you are pleased or not so pleased ..

hitman1267 (09-11-2016)
Old 09-11-2016 | 06:04 AM
SixDD
Banned

I'm fine with whatever you choose.

hitman1267 (09-11-2016)
Old 09-11-2016 | 06:20 AM
Royalt
Advanced

Definitely get it. I am going to get another one . I have had street glides . I have an ultra limited Ive had fat bobs ,low riders and the Street Glide Special has been my favorite . Dont forget a lot has to do with your body size . The limited was to high for my legs . I had the seat modified where it meets the gas tank and I also installed the street glide lo shocks . Its way better now . I still prefer my street glide over any of them because they are so easy to handle . I also dont do long road trips or commuter riding . I trailer it where I want to go and mostly do day trips and overnight trips .

hitman1267 (09-11-2016)

Quick Reply: To move up to a street glide or not move up to a street glide.