Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To move up to a street glide or not move up to a street glide.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016 | 09:17 PM
slimatsea
Cruiser

Originally Posted by geost
Seeing as how you've ridden both the SG and now the RG, what makes the RG easier to ride? Is it easier to handle because the fairing is framed mounted compared to the SG?

Like the OP, I'm also thinking of "upgrading" from my '08 FXDL to an M8 SGS. Then I thought about a RG, then I thought about a Road King because the fairing might be too much haha (and handling). I commute to work 30 miles away and I go through the back roads (twisties) to avoid traffic and I figure it might be a little more difficult with a bike that has a fairing.

Anywho, to the OP: if you can keep both I'd say do it. I'm planning on keeping my Low Rider and adding a touring bike of some kind. Hell, I've been eye balling the Indian Springfield too...
I don't think either is "easier" to ride. I do prefer the frame mounted fairing on the highway. I have to admit the rushmore batwing does well in the wind too though. I was pleasantly surprised when I test drove one, enough to purchase two different models. One thing to consider is that low speed maneuvers in the dark, like parking lots, on the RG your headlight doesn't turn with the handlebars. You'll occasionally be riding outside of the light. I've never ridden a RK but in my experience I prefer fairings to windshields in just about all conditions. The RG fairing has little glove boxes that are pretty awesome. For me the ultimate would be a Dyna and a RGU parked next to each other in the garage. That will probably happen in 2018.

The following 2 users liked this post by slimatsea:
geost (09-11-2016), hitman1267 (09-12-2016)
Old 09-12-2016 | 06:41 AM
WideGlideFever
Road Master

A year or so ago I test drove a SG and a Roadglide. The Roadglide won me over hands down. Dealer was working really hard to make a deal but I wanted a day to think it over. As soon as I was back in the parking lot and sat on my WG I knew there wasnt any deal to be made. My bike "fits" me because I spent money and time getting it to that point. No way I was willing to spend all that time and money on customizing another bike when I have one already that is perfect for me.

Old 09-12-2016 | 10:32 AM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member

Id say screw the touring platform unless you ride real long distance just spen money and put a jims 131" motor

The following users liked this post:
hitman1267 (09-12-2016)
Old 09-12-2016 | 11:05 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Royalt
Definitely get it. I am going to get another one . I have had street glides . I have an ultra limited Ive had fat bobs ,low riders and the Street Glide Special has been my favorite . Dont forget a lot has to do with your body size . The limited was to high for my legs . I had the seat modified where it meets the gas tank and I also installed the street glide lo shocks . Its way better now . I still prefer my street glide over any of them because they are so easy to handle . I also dont do long road trips or commuter riding . I trailer it where I want to go and mostly do day trips and overnight trips .
You can predict the answers, depending on which forum the thread is posted in.
You are the only one who knows what you want. Everyone else is just projecting their opinion on you.
I think renting, or at least demoing, different bikes, is the way to go.

Old 09-12-2016 | 01:55 PM
hitman1267
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by slimatsea
I don't think either is "easier" to ride. I do prefer the frame mounted fairing on the highway. I have to admit the rushmore batwing does well in the wind too though. I was pleasantly surprised when I test drove one, enough to purchase two different models. One thing to consider is that low speed maneuvers in the dark, like parking lots, on the RG your headlight doesn't turn with the handlebars. You'll occasionally be riding outside of the light. I've never ridden a RK but in my experience I prefer fairings to windshields in just about all conditions. The RG fairing has little glove boxes that are pretty awesome. For me the ultimate would be a Dyna and a RGU parked next to each other in the garage. That will probably happen in 2018.
Thats a great point about night riding. I was on the fence with the fairing or the Road Glide and the Street Glide.

Old 09-12-2016 | 04:21 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member

My Widglide is fun to ride. The touring bikes I've test-ridden and rented were just too boring. Might as well have driven my car.

Old 09-12-2016 | 06:54 PM
cvaria
Supporter

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/262616206500

Old 09-12-2016 | 06:56 PM
cvaria
Supporter

Originally Posted by gartec81
Id say screw the touring platform unless you ride real long distance just spen money and put a jims 131" motor
Or a 911

Old 09-13-2016 | 07:58 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by hitman1267
Thats a great point about night riding. I was on the fence with the fairing or the Road Glide and the Street Glide.

the headlight not turning with the front end is a non issue trust me when I say you will never be in a situation where YOU WONT see something..

also the frame mounted fairings handle better..

if you really want one I would say rent each bike for a day as a test ride just isn't enough seat time.. as I said before if you can afford it GO FOR IT .. you only live once..

Old 09-13-2016 | 08:50 AM
hAkron
Road Captain

I have a dyna I bought new in 2006, No plans to sell it. I bought a 2007 StreetGlide in 2014, sold it this year and bought a 2016 street glide special.

I like the dyna for ripping around town. I like the Street Glide for colder days (can ride almost all year in Ohio on it), longer rides, rides with the wife, etc.

Lucky for me my dyna was paid for when I decided on a street glide. If you can cover it, consider having both.

Quick Reply: To move up to a street glide or not move up to a street glide.