Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To move up to a street glide or not move up to a street glide.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016 | 08:30 AM
kmontague
Tourer

ive had a street bob and a fat bob both great/fun bikes. i have a 2015 street glide and a 2016 48 now. i like my touring bike but dont go on that many long rides. so im on the 48 almost all the time. trying to figure out which one to trade in for the low rider s lol.

Old 09-11-2016 | 08:45 AM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by kmontague
ive had a street bob and a fat bob both great/fun bikes. i have a 2015 street glide and a 2016 48 now. i like my touring bike but dont go on that many long rides. so im on the 48 almost all the time. trying to figure out which one to trade in for the low rider s lol.
Trade the 48

Like I said above; the SG would be a great 2nd bike for the garage. In town, and commuting to work, the S is a blast.

Old 09-11-2016 | 03:42 PM
hitman1267
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Antonio *****
A "little" bulkier doesn't quite describe it. Living with a touring bike day to day is much different than a Dyna. Just maneuvering around the garage takes some doing. I miss my Road King's highway manners. Other than that I ride my Dyna more often for short hops and enjoy its agility. I don't need or want a radio. You should invest in a weekend rental of what you are considering before jumping in. You may love it. Or maybe not.
Good idea!

Old 09-11-2016 | 03:44 PM
hitman1267
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by slimatsea
Just curious, why do people say "move up" to a touring bike? Is it because they're bigger more expensive?

Here are my thoughts. I've had 4 Harleys. 2013 Road Glide Custom, 2014 Limited, 2015 Street Glide Special and now a Low Rider S. They've all been different, but I wouldn't consider any of them a step up from the other. My wife and I used to ride 2 up 10K miles a year so I always wanted a touring style bike. Last year she started going on less and less trips. When she did come along it was only if we trailered and then at the destination we'd do 100-200 miles tops. I was commuting in traffic on this huge bike with a fairing pushing engine heat back at me and my buddies on Dynas were running away from me on the weekends. And for what? Then I said screw it and got an FXDLS. It's a blast around town and for my commute. I can do solo 400 mile days easy. I use a Sena headset with my phone and have all of the music, com, nav that my touring bikes had. The wife can come along for a ride. Will we do 2 up touring? No effing way. Maybe a weekend trip that is lots of short rides with long stops in between. So, since we're not doing 2 up touring these days, the Dyna is the bike for me. If she decided tomorrow that we were going to start riding up to Laconia again, I'd sell the Dyna and get a new Road Glide. Short answer long, buy the bike that matches the riding you're gonna do. Side note, I did pistons, cams, TB, and heads on my Street Glide. The Dyna stock was more fun.
I guess I said move up because they are bigger and wider than the dynas and yea the price range is up there. I ride my bike daily in DC with great spots to park. My commute is short and on the weekends I like to take semi long rides.

Old 09-11-2016 | 03:45 PM
hitman1267
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cvaria
it's not up, it's over. go for it. if you posted this, you are already going to do it. you just want reinforcement.

so here:
Shia LaBeouf "Just Do It" Motivational Speech (Original Video) - YouTube
Haha best reply ever !

Old 09-11-2016 | 04:48 PM
jkiser
Cruiser

I have a 16 SGS right now and don't like it. Its too bulky and heavy for around town use for me. I am selling the SGS and going back to a Dyna..

If you have a bike and you like it, I wouldn't change. Huge difference in Dyna and Touring bike..

Just my 2 cents.

Old 09-11-2016 | 05:02 PM
45calibertranslator
Cruiser

I recently bought a Low Rider and kept my Road King. I enjoy both, but the Road King still gets more miles put on it. The Low Rider is great fun for a couple of hours, but the Road King is great fun for a couple of days. I don't think you can make a bad choice here though.

Old 09-11-2016 | 05:31 PM
PowerGuy
Cruiser

I went from a SB to a Road Glide and love it, can't figure out why I didn't do it earlier.

Old 09-11-2016 | 06:43 PM
buggy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Maxxsmart
I know next to nothing when it comes to touring bikes, but from what I can tell, they're the same bike, just with different waiting and gauge packages, right?

I can certainly see how a solid mount, more forward and aerodynamic fairing would change highway speed smoothness. My main concern about the SG is having bar movement due to the faint acting like a sail.
Huge diff in touring bikes, they are great to ride and the creature comforts are nice too, I would demo before you buy though. Like I said 3 SG and 1 RG IMO the RG handles better but may end up on another SG in the future.

Old 09-11-2016 | 08:48 PM
geost
Intermediate

Originally Posted by slimatsea
Just curious, why do people say "move up" to a touring bike? Is it because they're bigger more expensive?

Here are my thoughts. I've had 4 Harleys. 2013 Road Glide Custom, 2014 Limited, 2015 Street Glide Special and now a Low Rider S. They've all been different, but I wouldn't consider any of them a step up from the other. My wife and I used to ride 2 up 10K miles a year so I always wanted a touring style bike. Last year she started going on less and less trips. When she did come along it was only if we trailered and then at the destination we'd do 100-200 miles tops. I was commuting in traffic on this huge bike with a fairing pushing engine heat back at me and my buddies on Dynas were running away from me on the weekends. And for what? Then I said screw it and got an FXDLS. It's a blast around town and for my commute. I can do solo 400 mile days easy. I use a Sena headset with my phone and have all of the music, com, nav that my touring bikes had. The wife can come along for a ride. Will we do 2 up touring? No effing way. Maybe a weekend trip that is lots of short rides with long stops in between. So, since we're not doing 2 up touring these days, the Dyna is the bike for me. If she decided tomorrow that we were going to start riding up to Laconia again, I'd sell the Dyna and get a new Road Glide. Short answer long, buy the bike that matches the riding you're gonna do. Side note, I did pistons, cams, TB, and heads on my Street Glide. The Dyna stock was more fun.
Seeing as how you've ridden both the SG and now the RG, what makes the RG easier to ride? Is it easier to handle because the fairing is framed mounted compared to the SG?

Like the OP, I'm also thinking of "upgrading" from my '08 FXDL to an M8 SGS. Then I thought about a RG, then I thought about a Road King because the fairing might be too much haha (and handling). I commute to work 30 miles away and I go through the back roads (twisties) to avoid traffic and I figure it might be a little more difficult with a bike that has a fairing.

Anywho, to the OP: if you can keep both I'd say do it. I'm planning on keeping my Low Rider and adding a touring bike of some kind. Hell, I've been eye balling the Indian Springfield too...

Quick Reply: To move up to a street glide or not move up to a street glide.