Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vehicle alignment do you really get it within 1/32?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 07:14 AM
Lockeshill
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vehicle alignment do you really get it within 1/32?

Ive never been able to achieve this level of accuracy per the fsm. Im somewhere between 1/16 to 1/8. Am i close enough here? My 06 fxdli is pulling hard left. Im going to move on to the stabilizer and go for a ride to see what happens. Am i wasting my time if rear axle is not to specs?

Old 09-02-2016, 09:05 AM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 900 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by Lockeshill
Ive never been able to achieve this level of accuracy per the fsm. Im somewhere between 1/16 to 1/8. Am i close enough here? My 06 fxdli is pulling hard left. Im going to move on to the stabilizer and go for a ride to see what happens. Am i wasting my time if rear axle is not to specs?
Do you mean the distance from the alignment hole to the axle centerline on each side of the swingarm, or the relationship of the rear wheel to the front wheel with the bars straight, or the vertical alignment of the rear wheel, or the relationship of the rear wheel to an imaginary centerline through the frame, or the position of the engine in the frame, or...

Not being a wiseguy, but there are so many elements of "alignment" with a Dyna that I just want to understand exactly what you mean...

Old 09-02-2016, 09:13 AM
robertomendo
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I would lilke to know too. I am always on the lookout for a problem my switchback might not have.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:49 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,748 Likes on 3,108 Posts

Use the "string" method.

Or, better yet, the rubberband method.

OP~ Since your bike "pulls to the left", do you need to push slightly on the left handgrip to achieve "straight & level?"

How worn are your tires? (Yes, a worn tire profile can absolutely cause a bike to " pull left.")

I fixed a BMW once that pulled left by replacing the steering head bearings and races.
Never did find the actual problem (other than detented races from a wheelie landing.)
Told the owner, Don't do wheelies anymore!
Turns out BMW has soft races in their bearings.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:21 AM
Lockeshill
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think you're being a wiseguy don't sweat it. I thought I was trying to be clear when I was referring to the manual and what I was referring to was the measurement of 1/32 of an inch from the hole in the swingarm to the center of the axle so basically the rear wheel alignment in the manual. The step that comes after The fallaway test. My measurements for the fall away were within the acceptable range. Tires are brand-new with less than 50 miles on the by the way

Last edited by Lockeshill; 09-02-2016 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Missing info
Old 09-02-2016, 11:43 AM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Lockeshill
I don't think you're being a wiseguy don't sweat it. I thought I was trying to be clear when I was referring to the manual and what I was referring to was the measurement of 1/32 of an inch from the hole in the swingarm to the center of the axle so basically the rear wheel alignment in the manual. The step that comes after The fallaway test. My measurements for the fall away were within the acceptable range. Tires are brand-new with less than 50 miles on the by the way
Okay, got it... I think I have managed to get that measurement perfect, but it did take a number of attempts... Also, I have an aftermarket chrome rear axle that didn't have a detent. I put a piece of masking tape over it and traced lines with a straight edge between the points and hit the center with a punch. I suppose it's possible that the punch walked marginally, but i think it's right on.

But it did take several attempts... It would seem right in the air, then seem slightly off with weight on it, it would be perfect until I torqued the axle nut, etc.

I just did it several times over a few days until it seemed right on.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:11 PM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

I was hoping there would be an aftermarket axle or arrangement that would make aligning the rear wheel less of an art form but didn't see anything. On my last go around I used an axle plug tool on the left side:

The right side didn't have room for it between the exhaust. It was better but still guess work. Like F86 just play with it until you're comfortable.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:20 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member

I will say that mattVA's method for vertical alignment worked well for me!

Old 09-02-2016, 01:30 PM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by F86
I will say that mattVA's method for vertical alignment worked well for me!
Hey I recognize those tools. .

Old 09-02-2016, 10:21 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

1/32 shouldn't be too hard. Make sure you've got accurate measuring tools AND methods. An alignment tool (bent wire) helps. Make sure you pre-load the axle nut and adjuster nuts during/after rough-in so that you need a wrench to make the adjusters turn (CW only) and so that when tightening the axle, it doesn't creep.

The following users liked this post:
F86 (09-03-2016)

Quick Reply: Vehicle alignment do you really get it within 1/32?