Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vehicle alignment do you really get it within 1/32?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 11:49 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

I REALLY wish I could spend a day or two measuring my bike with the CMM I maintain at work. I don't have the patience to do a full alignment in my garage with strings and trig...but if I could put xyz coordinates to everything...maybe build a CAD model... I'd be into that.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:55 AM
Nemosengineer
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by cggorman
Ohio roads are pretty bad. Not Michigan bad, but pretty bad.

I don't think anybody has mentioned that our (Dyna) rear.alignment is adjustable in every axis. I believe that's part of the problem with the spotty handling among owners. There are four rear suspension adjustment points. Three drivetrain mounts plus rear axle. Getting all four lined up requires a methodical approach and solid isolators...and swingarm bearings. There's a lot to go wrong and I've never heard of a dealer that handled lateral drivetrain alignment. Without properly aligned drivetrain/swingarm, there is no point in using the rear axle alignment holes...
Hi Cggorman, Great Post.
It would be interesting to see some kind of factory documentation of what a "on the money" alignment looks like with hard reference points [or at least some hints]. When I began my chassis adventure, I started with new factory engine mounts, set the vertical alignment, then reset the engine mounts to remove any residual stress, then installed the PosiTrac and re-verified the vertical alignment. After numerous measurements I can say its very close the factory ideal but I cant prove it, so I said **** it and put the rear wheel on the chassis center-line and called that adventure done.

: Mike

Old 09-14-2016, 01:00 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

I'd about kill for a dimensioned drawing of a 99 frame and swingarm.

Old 09-18-2016, 10:18 AM
Lockeshill
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default One last post

Cheapest plum bob ever

i returned to the fallaway in last time. Clutch and throttle canles removed frame level. Fall away is within limits at around 2.5 inches apart. Last question. My balance point is off a bit to the right (sitting in the bike). However it isn't exactly consistent sometimes an inch or two further to the right (again sitting on bike perspective). Either way the fall away to the left is basically at the balance point. A breeze could send it over. Going to the right is basically off the edge of the fender. Again my pull is to the left while riding

Last edited by Lockeshill; 09-18-2016 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Missing info
Old 09-18-2016, 11:05 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

I seriously doubt fallaway has anything to do with your left pull.

Old 09-18-2016, 04:24 PM
Nemosengineer
Road Master

Hi Lockeshill,
You have done everything you can do and you still have that pull, it's time to seek professional help with a motorcycle frame repair service. The procedure I recommended to you is the quickest way to determine if your frame is bent, I suspect your steering head might be bent as that will make a motorcycle pull as you describe. have one of your local shops check out your bike and they should be able to diagnose whats up.
If you need a frame service, I have used Dr. Johns frame services in the past and can recommend him. A lot of the west coast racers use his services to fix crash damaged race bikes, here's a link:

http://www.drjohnsmfs.com/services.html

I did a google search and there local shops that can get you fixed
"motorcycle frame straightening in Massachusetts"

Last edited by Nemosengineer; 09-18-2016 at 04:25 PM. Reason: fix
Old 09-18-2016, 04:48 PM
Lockeshill
Cruiser

Thanks for the link and the advice. Just not sure why the hell anything would be bent as its never been down or even fallen over.

Old 09-18-2016, 05:22 PM
Nemosengineer
Road Master

Originally Posted by Lockeshill
Thanks for the link and the advice. Just not sure why the hell anything would be bent as its never been down or even fallen over.
Did you buy new? I thought you were sorting out a recently purchased used bike. Sorry, I made an assumption that was not correct. Get some local help as new eyes can pickup new things that we become blind to. I feel for you as nothing takes the joy out of riding like bad handling. There are so many talented bike guys here more will jump on board to help, Keep us posted.

Old 09-18-2016, 06:05 PM
Lockeshill
Cruiser

Its an 06 bought from my father. I think its the only one he didn't crash.