Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard start after 3 min of running

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016 | 09:31 PM
apblingAEW
|
Road Captain
Default Hard start after 3 min of running

So I don't normally do this...but me and the wife left a bar separately. Her in her car me on my 09 fxdf. After about 2 min of riding along the access rode (less than 25 mph) I pull up next to her to tell her something but cut the bike out so she can hear me. I go to start it (and I expected it because I have hot starting issues intermittently) and she turns over 3-4 times, sneezes and as I crack the throttle open she pops off and life goes on. I cracked the throttle open because it kind of felt like it was flooded...the sneeze was out the AC. It had started fine 2 min earlier in the lot. Any ideas? I've had it so this other times here and there - when hot she doesn't always like to pop off right away, and I used to be too quick to let off the starter and it'd sneeze. But it's very infrequent and I have learned to hold the stated in longer. No other issues whatsoever.

Old 08-31-2016 | 08:23 AM
jdvorchak
Road Captain

I'm pretty sure you 09 has Fuel Injection. What happens if you don't touch the throttle while cranking? Should start right up. A lot of older/experienced riders treat the FI like it's a carb. The computer should handle the start mixture and throttle adjusting for you without you touching the throttle.

Old 08-31-2016 | 07:01 PM
apblingAEW
|
Road Captain

Agreed. When it's been really stubborn like that, I usually don't let it turn over too many times before my hand involuntarily opens the throttle. I'll give it a shot next time.

Old 08-31-2016 | 10:09 PM
jdvorchak
Road Captain

I just thought of something. Has your Dyna been hard to start cold recently? Like it has to turn over a few times before it starts. Not just the normal one or two revs of the engine.

My 08 with 40k miles started doing that a few weeks ago. It would turn over, hot or cold, quit a few times before it started. Now I would even turn on the ignition and run/stop in run and let the pump cycle for the 2 or 3 seconds before hitting the start button. No help.

I thought it might be the fuel filter so I bought a new one and while removing the fuel pump/filter assembly I noticed fuel dripping out of the hose that connects the pump to the filter. Looked and sure enough it had a pin hole in it. Online search and even a visit to the HD dealer told me I can't just buy that hose. Have to buy the whole pump assembly. Did some google searching and found that for $20 I could get a "submersible" fuel line from the local auto parts store. I don't remember if it was good year or Gates. Long story short I replaced that line and it's been starting like a dream ever since. Hot or cold.

Well known problem with Dyna, Softtail and touring models that are a few years old. Google returned a lot of replies with part numbers etc.

Old 08-31-2016 | 10:19 PM
jdvorchak
Road Captain

Here is the thread where they talk about that fuel line:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...fuel-line.html

Old 09-01-2016 | 06:55 AM
apblingAEW
|
Road Captain

No issues at all cold starting. Never. Only when hot, and its hit and miss. And its not a bad issue, just annoying and embarrassing. When I bought the bike the original owner said it'd do it once in a while too. Had it to a reputible indy shop in town, he couldn't figure it out. Took it to the dealer, they replaced the entire fuel pump assembly. He said he didn't ride it alot afterwards, but it seemed to be fine. It has been touchy about hot starts for the last 2 years I've owned it. When cold I let the pump prime and it starts. I noticed if I don't let it prime much when hot and make sure I hold the starter button in til it fires it's better...but something still don't seem quite right. I did take videos of the pump priming and it appeared the releief valve was purging fuel, but I got opinions saying thats normal and some saying thats not normal. I didn't find any pinholes. No fuel starvation at high rpms on the hwy either. Just a little grouchy about hot starts once in a while, usually when there is a hot chick watching me....

Old 09-01-2016 | 08:50 AM
jdvorchak
Road Captain

If they are going to mess up, it's always with an audience...

Old 09-01-2016 | 12:53 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

My bike, 10' Street Bob with 52K, has been doing the same thing for about three years now. About a year ago, it would do the same thing with a cold start once and a blue moon. I have followed a few threads with the same issue (it seems) trying to find a solution, some have done fuel pumps, some have done starters and some have done compensators. I have often wondered if either the hot prime is flooding the intake (causing the sneeze) or maybe the oil from the breather tubes is putting to much oil into the intake. I get oil from the blow by that gets in my K&N filter and then the air pulls it out and down the side of my batt cover. Often (when I remember) when hot, I will turn on the ignition, hit the prime switch and immediately hit the start and it will start right up, but not always, sometime still get the sneeze. Another thing I have often wondered is if the people having this problem all have an aftermarket tuner or if this also applies to a completely stock tune, does the tune provide to much fuel at the prime? Anyways, its all food for thought, I will follow this thread in hopes that a solution is found.

Old 09-01-2016 | 02:49 PM
apblingAEW
|
Road Captain

blueangel - my bike and yours must be brothers from another mother. You issues are identical to mine. The wife has a 15 FXDB and it has never, ever done this. Has the HD stage 1 backplate with the harley stage 1 download, so maybe you are onto something...

Old 09-01-2016 | 03:26 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

When I removed my baffles from the stock system I used Xied's with stock AC, no problems. When I installed the Rineharts, left the Xied's and stock AC, still no problems. When I changed the AC to a Big Sucker I used the vigilante tuner because I changed the way the bike breathes. Soon after that is when the issue started showing up. I played around with different tunes with no effect. The sneeze or cough I have seen with old carbs on cars when they are flooded and why I was thinking this could be the same issue, but I don't know much about injection systems and can't tweak the tune program. I am going to remove my big sucker back plate and use the DK system that allows me to still use the filter and cover while letting me vent the to a atmospheric filter, no more oil or hot air to the intake, I don't think this will solve the problem but with will help clean up what goes into the intake. I want to put the Power Commander with Autotune on the bike, but need to save for that and then find a tuner. Hopefully when working with the tuner I can run this issue by him and see what he thinks.