Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got my pipes

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 11:08 PM
huntinjoe
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I got my pipes

Well my vance&hines big shots came in for my 5 superglide today.when i called some dealerships to get them installed, 1 dealership told me i was going to need a jet kit, air cleaner which brought the cost to over $500 to put them on. the other dealership told me i just needed the stage calibration. so for them it would be over $400. My question is "What do i need so that my bike will run well, and pipes will not discolor"

Old 05-24-2007, 07:47 AM
huntinjoe
Intermediate
Default RE: I got my pipes

ok how about asking it like this. When you got your pipes put on, what all did you have done?

Old 05-24-2007, 11:49 AM
mentor70
Road Warrior

you need to fatten up the jetting on the carb, me I just put a Mikuni on and put a 27.5 pilot jet and a 150 main in and my pipes havent blued in over 1K miles.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:01 PM
glebo
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,122 Likes on 359 Posts

now that ya mention it, what causes bluing, to lean/hot, or to rich?? always wondered that.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:50 PM
Percy
Advanced

I had big shots put on my wide glide before I picked it up new at the end of April. Stealer told me I didn't need to do anything else. I've got 600 miles on it, and no blueing...

Old 05-24-2007, 03:21 PM
Sk1dM4rk
Cruiser

After I put my Big Shots and Ness Big Sucker on, I needed to get the carb rejetted because she was farting. I think any time you change the way the motor breathes (Intake/Exhaust)you create a situation where you need to monitor how it is running to see if you are creating a lean/rich condition. Check the plugs for color changes (There was a reference link on here somewhere to representative colors) and of course if she is farting like mine you most likely will need to rejet or remap/tune. Please correct, if this is not right.

Mark

Old 05-24-2007, 11:18 PM
huntinjoe
Intermediate

would you suggest to put the pipes on, and ride a little to see how she is acting. then afterward put on new air cleaner and rejet if needed?

Old 05-24-2007, 11:27 PM
Sk1dM4rk
Cruiser

I think you are going to need to do it regardless. What I was meaning to say is that, if you only put the pipes on you will probably need to rejet, then if you add a high-flow air cleaner later, you will probably need to rejet again, etc... etc... You may want to do whatever it is you are going to do to the "breathing" capabilities of the bike so you only need to rejet once.

Now, if you were to do something small like add Quiet Baffles later, you may or may not need to rejet, but looking at your plug color should tell you how its running.

I hope this helps and I am not confusing you more.

EDIT: Here is the link to the spark plug colorations I was talking about in my prior post.

http://www.dansmc.com/Spark_Plugs/Sp...s_catalog.html

Regards,

Mark

Old 05-25-2007, 12:12 AM
huntinjoe
Intermediate

thats wierd i found that plug chart last night when i was online. i didnt quite understand it though. i know what some fouled plugs look like but some of those plugs all look pretty close to the others. anyways what kind of air cleaner would be the best for me get for a decent price.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:15 PM
JayFromPa
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: huntinjoe

thats wierd i found that plug chart last night when i was online. i didnt quite understand it though. i know what some fouled plugs look like but some of those plugs all look pretty close to the others. anyways what kind of air cleaner would be the best for me get for a decent price.
Get the carbs jetted and go with either a Arlen Ness Big Sucker or a K/N. The BS will probably be a few bucks more.

Quick Reply: I got my pipes