Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Cable Retaining Rin/Snap Ring Placement

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 02:46 PM
OldManLeadSled
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Clutch Cable Retaining Rin/Snap Ring Placement

I'm instilling a set of 18" bars on my 2011 fxdc. I have installed a set of "14's on my Electra glide with absolutely no problems.

On this Dyna, however, I cannot get the clutch to work. I've gotten the new cable installed and even adjusted the adjuster nut under the primary cover but the clutch does not work. It will not pull. As if there is no way to "depress" the lever.

I am trying to troubleshoot now. I do not remember the exact position the snap ring was in that holds the ramp down. Does it matter where the opening of the snap ring is positioned? If so, where should it be?
Or is that even a possible cause of the issue??

Thanks
Mark

Old 08-25-2016, 03:27 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,751 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Your post isn't even remotely helpful; what in the actual hell snap ring are you talking about? There is not a 'snap ring', except the 11143 ring for the lever pivot pin. Adjusting the clutch pack and clutch cable freeplay is HD 101 easy. You need to be clear.

At the clutch pack with the clutch cable freeplay fully compressed you want 1/2 to a 1 turn out from light seat, you seat the clutch pushrod screw lightly then back it out 1/2 to 1 full turn then tighten the lock nut; snap ring and ramp does not compute at all; a nickle's width of clutch cable freeplay between the perch and the ferrule at the clutch perch..

Old 08-25-2016, 04:11 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,940 Likes on 4,026 Posts

Position of the snap ring in the tranny cover makes no difference.. You need to slacken the cable as much as possible.. You might need to remove the cover the cable goes into and make sure all the ***** in the ramps are seated properly but you might simply be able to push the arm back from the oil fill hole.. I suspect when you do this, you'll find the clutch adjuster loose on the clutch.. Readjust per the manual. If still not working you might have assembled the mechanism wrong. Read the manual.

Old 08-25-2016, 04:42 PM
OldManLeadSled
Cruiser

There in fact Is a snap ring. All 3 ***** are seated, with ramp on top, and then snap ring. Just wondered if the open portion of the snap ring had to be in a certain spot.

I had the cable fully slack (adjusted on the cable itself), then loosened the nut on the primary side. (Screwed stem in until I felt resistance, then turned out 3/4 turn, locked nut back down.) Went back, and adjusted cable.
There is free play in the cable. But at the point you usually feel the clutch engaging, it just stops. You can't pull clutch lever to the grip. No movement.

I then pulled trans cover for 3rd time to inspect. All seemed well. On my Electra glide, I didn't have to mess with anything. Just disassembled, removed clutch cable, installed new one, and started riding.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:04 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,751 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Ok; now I know what you're talking about, it's that 10998 retaining ring under the transmission cover for the inner and outer ramps; thought I was losing it

Old 08-25-2016, 07:27 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

I always put the open end of the snap ring at about 1 o'clock.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:40 PM
Maxxsmart
Road Master
Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Some say the snap ring opening should be inline with the opening, that way there is "room" for the gear oil to flow. I don't think it's actually proven to be more or less effective.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:03 PM
OldManLeadSled
Cruiser

I went ahead and put the rest of the bike together. After talking to the closest Indy on the phones couple times, I could get nothing figured out. Guess I'll drag it the 40 miles to them in the next couple of days.

I'll post what they come up with here in case someone else ends up like me.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:19 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 757 Likes on 523 Posts

I'd take a second look at the push rod/adjustment on the clutch under the derby cover again. If you get that rod to far in it will make the clutch unmovable.

That part has my suspicions as the culprit. A beer says I'm right

Old 08-25-2016, 08:24 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,940 Likes on 4,026 Posts

Set the center clutch adjustment to 0 and try to pull in the clutch.. Better yet screw it tight one turn..

Quick Reply: Clutch Cable Retaining Rin/Snap Ring Placement