Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fork swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 08:33 PM
crtman21
Road Captain
Received 229 Likes on 148 Posts
Default fork swap

I know this has been talked about before, and can't seem to find the thread to it. So maybe someone can send me the link. My question is about doing a fork swap? Swapping the forks from a '15 street bob to inverted forks from a street bike like an R1 (for example).

what's involved? what are the pro's and con's?

Thanks

Old 08-22-2016, 05:36 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,536 Likes on 2,144 Posts

Go look at motorcyclemetal.com. Howard is a sponsor here and does that with Ohlins forks I believe.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:03 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

For starters you will need the metal stretchers. You have to start off by figuring out how to get a 735mm Yamaha YZF-R1 fork to be the same length as a FXD OEM fork which measures 815mm. You will have to re-valve the 20mm cartridge than re-spring it. Figure out which set of axle clamps you will need to install on the forks if you do not wish to use a wheel that is designed for a 439# bike. You may also look into the thickness of the 43mm fork tube as all sport bikes are designed on the edge between what is the maximum weight of the material used V/S what is the designed minimum it could be. Having a fork designed for a 439# bike with a 24 degree fork rake and put it on a 29 degree (FatBob) or 30.5 degrees (16 FCDLR) has much more stress on the fork tube with a larger fork angle. Than you will need triple trees. Ya, really easy all you got to do is buy a few used parts and bolt them up and you could have something like this one that was done correctly only a whole lot cheaper, ya, right...

Old 08-22-2016, 07:55 AM
HrdNox
Stellar HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

Gee,you told him.

Old 08-22-2016, 01:42 PM
DynaKid94
Road Warrior
Received 589 Likes on 334 Posts

Definitely isn't a cheap job if you want to do it right...would love an inverted front end (because reasons) but I can't justify the cost over a properly set up standard front end.

That and the cost to do it right is probably 1/4 of my current salary...so out of the question

Old 08-22-2016, 07:29 PM
crtman21
Road Captain
Received 229 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHarley
For starters you will need the metal stretchers. You have to start off by figuring out how to get a 735mm Yamaha YZF-R1 fork to be the same length as a FXD OEM fork which measures 815mm. You will have to re-valve the 20mm cartridge than re-spring it. Figure out which set of axle clamps you will need to install on the forks if you do not wish to use a wheel that is designed for a 439# bike. You may also look into the thickness of the 43mm fork tube as all sport bikes are designed on the edge between what is the maximum weight of the material used V/S what is the designed minimum it could be. Having a fork designed for a 439# bike with a 24 degree fork rake and put it on a 29 degree (FatBob) or 30.5 degrees (16 FCDLR) has much more stress on the fork tube with a larger fork angle. Than you will need triple trees. Ya, really easy all you got to do is buy a few used parts and bolt them up and you could have something like this one that was done correctly only a whole lot cheaper, ya, right...
Thanks Howard for the information. I appreciate the abbreviated version of what needs to be done and the ease of how it can be done. haha... I'll definately be contacting you if I ever decide to do this mod.

Originally Posted by DynaKid94
Definitely isn't a cheap job if you want to do it right...would love an inverted front end (because reasons) but I can't justify the cost over a properly set up standard front end.

That and the cost to do it right is probably 1/4 of my current salary...so out of the question
Definately have to agree with you 'Kid, would be nice, but for the cost, is it really worth it.

It sounds like replacing the fork springs will be the way to go, when the time comes.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:12 AM
DYNARYDER87
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You could always buy an off the shelf inverted. http://www.krausmotorco.com/products...-front-end-kit

I just put Andreani cartridges in mine and couldn't be happier with how it handles now. Cartridges with Ohlins R&T oil was close to $600 shipped. James Gasket Seal kit was $14. If you have the tools its a pretty easy job. I would love to have an inverted front end on mine, just cant justify/afford that price tag.