Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dont be like Dave

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 10:41 AM
mang0
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default dont be like Dave

Dave has had his 2010 WG on the lift 20 times or more over the last 6 yrs. But this time Dave didnt strap it down. Dave is dumb. The bike toppled over. Don't be like Dave. Now Dave is looking for a new/used gas tank. Dave is open to any suggestions on a replacement tank or if it's possible to have a body repair place fix it

Old 08-16-2016, 10:44 AM
emperor wurm
Road Warrior
Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

bummer dude....I have popped out alot of dents on my dirt bike pipes by plugging both ends, filling it water and freezing it. It took a couple tried, but the dents always came out...maybe you could try this?

Old 08-16-2016, 11:00 AM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,199 Likes on 1,685 Posts

that tank is all over ebay. tough lesson. glad you weren't under it.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:11 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,751 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Aw, man! That hurts just looking at it... well damn!

I can't offer too many suggestions on buffing that back out but I can tell you to look in to a J&S lift. The J&S is absolutely solid lifting my Wide Glide; I've never needed any sort of straps and I've done some major mods to the bike while she's flying high on that lift. For what these bikes cost, $450 on a proper lift is money well spent. My Wide Glide is always on the lift if she's not being ridden, she's safe and solid.

I don't have high hopes that tank is going to come back; I'd be checking Boardtracker for a replacement.

How did the bike fall? Were the bars/forks tweaked hard to one side? If they were you might need to lift the bike and break the torque on the pinch bolts on the forks to allow them to release the twisting tension; old sport bike/track riding trick, when you'd break the torque on the fork tubes you'd hear creaks and pops as the forks aligned themselves again. IF the tubes move or slip in the upper clamp be certain to level them again Check your risers, they may also be out of alignment. Break the riser bolts loose and re-align the bars/risers if they are.

Sorry for the problems you've got, brother...

Food for thought:

Old 08-16-2016, 12:44 PM
mang0
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I honestly don't know what caused it to fall. It was up in the air a few hours before it fell. I was working on getting a tire off the spoked rim and on the new rim a few feet away. the bike was on a modified sears motorcycle jack and positioning that thing so it isnt hitting the oil pan leaves little room for the lift pad near the shifter. Cant imagine me working vibrated that bike off the lift. there was a very loud crash behind my back and i immediately knew what happened. Since there was no wheel on the front, it was a bit of a challenge getting it back on the lift.

Thanks Tincup for the suggestions, i will loosen those pinch bolts and re-torq them, loosened riser bolts yesterday and readjusted handlebars. besides the tank, i need a licence plate bracket, clutch bracket, and amber turn signal lens (which caused the tank dent)--small expenses compared to the tank. But, hey, the new wheel looks great!

Old 08-16-2016, 12:50 PM
cvaria
Supporter

Originally Posted by mang0
I honestly don't know what caused it to fall. It was up in the air a few hours before it fell. I was working on getting a tire off the spoked rim and on the new rim a few feet away. the bike was on a modified sears motorcycle jack and positioning that thing so it isnt hitting the oil pan leaves little room for the lift pad near the shifter. Cant imagine me working vibrated that bike off the lift. there was a very loud crash behind my back and i immediately knew what happened. Since there was no wheel on the front, it was a bit of a challenge getting it back on the lift.

Thanks Tincup for the suggestions, i will loosen those pinch bolts and re-torq them, loosened riser bolts yesterday and readjusted handlebars. besides the tank, i need a licence plate bracket, clutch bracket, and amber turn signal lens (which caused the tank dent)--small expenses compared to the tank. But, hey, the new wheel looks great!

Ah, the fear stand is out wreaking havoc again. I put jack stands under my pos lift.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:53 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

It only takes 30 seconds to throw at least one strap on. That is certainly quicker and easier than repairing a fallen bike or fixing a human body after getting pinned under that fallen bike. Strap your bikes down for Pete's sake!!!!

Old 08-16-2016, 01:08 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,751 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Fear Lift™... causing Dyna owners all sorts of hell for ages now...

Old 08-16-2016, 02:41 PM
cvaria
Supporter

Originally Posted by tnriverluver
It only takes 30 seconds to throw at least one strap on. That is certainly quicker and easier than repairing a fallen bike or fixing a human body after getting pinned under that fallen bike. Strap your bikes down for Pete's sake!!!!
Unless the bike takes the lift with it

Old 08-16-2016, 02:56 PM
izhd
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
Unless the bike takes the lift with it
Right? I'm always worry that can happen. Maybe just get stand from bagg it hard customs

Quick Reply: dont be like Dave