Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front engine mount bolts size

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 06:01 AM
Lambda
Cruiser
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Front engine mount bolts size

Hello guys,

For the last days I noticed a weird sound coming out at certain moments from the front of the bike, I inspected the bike and found that one of the front engine mount bolts was missing and the other was loose and beaten badly, sad history.

Since in Spain is hard to get bolts in inches, does anyone know what is the size of the bolt? I guess they're the same used to hold the footpegs to the frame.

HD part nº is 4748

Also, any ONLINE place in the USA to buy cheap bolts in small quantities?

Old 08-16-2016, 07:07 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,750 Likes on 3,962 Posts

The HD front isolator bolts are plated socket cap grade 8, 3/8" x 1 1/8", 16 threads per inch. The actual measured length on my front isolator bolts was 1 1/4".

I've replaced my front isolator bolts and used grade 8 hex cap bolts when I shimmed out my front isolator and needed to use longer bolts. There has been no problems at all using the hex cap bolts; in the States those grade 8 bolts are typically available at most hardware stores; not sure about Spain.

You can see the hex cap grade 8's in this image...

Old 08-16-2016, 07:29 AM
Lambda
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
The HD front isolator bolts are plated socket cap grade 8, 3/8" x 1 1/8", 16 threads per inch. The actual measured length on my front isolator bolts was 1 1/4".

I've replaced my front isolator bolts and used grade 8 hex cap bolts when I shimmed out my front isolator and needed to use longer bolts. There has been no problems at all using the hex cap bolts; in the States those grade 8 bolts are typically available at most hardware stores; not sure about Spain.

You can see the hex cap grade 8's in this image...

Thank you for the answer!

Here in spain is hard to get anything that isn't metric, and if you find something, is usually in large quantities (+50 bolts) I usually buy those type of things from the USA

Old 08-16-2016, 07:36 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

Sounds about right

When I've needed metric bolts for doing something exotic to my sport bikes I end up needing to order from Fastenal.

What sort of drama is involved sending something to Spain? Never shipped anything to Spain but I'll send you my 2 front isolator bolts if you can't find anything locally; I'll never need them again with the changes I've made...

Old 08-16-2016, 11:38 AM
Lambda
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
Sounds about right

When I've needed metric bolts for doing something exotic to my sport bikes I end up needing to order from Fastenal.

What sort of drama is involved sending something to Spain? Never shipped anything to Spain but I'll send you my 2 front isolator bolts if you can't find anything locally; I'll never need them again with the changes I've made...
Thank you for the proposal but actually i'll buy longer bolts as i'll shim my isolator too.

Usually from time to time I buy some stuff at the USA (cheaper to find harley things), send them to a package forwarder and once I have a few things, I ship them to Spain, usually saving alot of money in shipping fees, right now i'm in the middle of doing the 30/70 pulley mods so I have some stuff waiting to cross the sea and i'll ship the bolts with all of them.

Thanks anyway

Old 08-16-2016, 11:45 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

When I replaced my front isolator and did the vehicle/engine alignment I needed to use 3 3/8" washers and shim it out 1/4" so I used 3/8" x 1 1/2" grade 8 hex bolts; she's been rock solid ever since.

If you do find you'll need those original isolator bolts let me know and I'll figure out how to ship them to you!