Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Injection Vs. Carboration - Pros and Cons?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 03:47 PM
badbs101
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fuel Injection Vs. Carboration - Pros and Cons?

ORIGINAL: SPECIAL ED

The Bob is my first bike with FI and I hate it.I'm not much of a mechanic but I can rejet one carb. I have not been able to get my Bob to stop popping on decel with the DFO niether has the shop where I bought the damn thing after three attempts. I gave up and bought a sert.Now that's 250 for the DFO + 400 for the SERT + god knows what for dyno tuning.I'll be over a thousand dollars just to get my bike to run "right" with a pipe and AC. If it were a carb I would have spent 1-2 hundred at the most on on a jet kit and spent an afternoon changing jets and I'd have been done with it.Hell for half half what I have into it now I could have had a local race shop tune it for me and it would have ran right the first time.
Keep us posted on the SERT/Dyno tune combo and how you like it. Maybe it will turn your love/hate (mostly hate) realtionship with your Bob into a mostly love relationship.

BTW what's a DFO? Must be like a race fueler?

Old 05-23-2007, 05:13 PM
flsun1
Tourer

Six to one, half a dozen to another......Have bikes with each. Carb lot easier to work with b5mac. All the above hit the nail on the head.

Old 05-23-2007, 05:24 PM
DiabloBlanco
Advanced

I agree with mentor on my 05 Superglide I had the option made sure I got the Carbed one. Because as said here it is always easier to do anything on a carbed bike as far as mods go. As for the warm up and choke argument I think that is a poor excuse for not going for the carb. You can hop on the bike let the choke out ride off half way down the block and push it back in. Bike will run fine so there really is no warm up time. I am not so good with computers and that is one of the main things with a fuel injected bike to tune and get to run right.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:01 PM
itsmyforte
Tourer

FI is by far greater.
it can be tuned easier once accompanied by a laptop even by the shadetree mechanic once u know what your doing. obviously a proper dyno tune is the way to go even if you have a carb its still needed. though my first HD, its my 3rd FI bike and i can tune them much faster than a carb bike. maybe i just jumped on the FI bandwagon and learning curve earlier? I tweaked my own canned map from fuel moto, then i had a dyno tune done. can't say i noticed any big diff, maybe slightly smoother in midrange. it ran great before and after the dyno tune.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:38 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EFI bikes dont have the reserve feature.
That's a glass half full way of looking at it. EFI bikes usually have a low fuel light - and when it comes on, you don't have to play "where's the petcock" while zipping down the freeway.

Why loose the nostalga?
Totally agree. In fact, I think motorcycles as we know it went all to hell when they started adding new fangled gadgets like electric start and disc brakes. WTF were they thinking?????

Old 05-23-2007, 06:45 PM
SpeedMK
Cruiser

Longer to dyno tune EFI? Who told you that BS?

I just did a dyno tune on my '07 FXDL yesterday and we were making fuel mapping changes in seconds with the SE Race Tuner. The total time to dial it in was less than an hour. I could change out my cams, exhaust, and intake and do it again in less than an hour.

If anything, it takes longer to tune a carbed machine.

I run Boondocker boxes on my Arctic Cat F7 SP's and I was making fuel mapping changes right on the lake in secondsbetween races. Try doing that with a carbed sled.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:49 PM
SpeedMK
Cruiser

You got some bad advice. You should have gone with $390.00 on the SE Race Tuner. You would have been able to easily dial in any mod.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:46 PM
BigJfxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

After getting a bike with EFI, I will never go back to carbed. (Unless someone wants to give away a Shovel for a project bike real cheap).

The EFI starts right up every time no matter if it is 90 or 20 degrees. The PCIII is an easy to use tuner.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:57 PM
davidwideglide06
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the efi and would not go back to carb. Intalled the thundermax with auto tune and can change maps or map settings in minutes. Just turn the ingnition on and fire up ride off.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:24 PM
Twincam Dave
Road Master

05 carbed thank you!!!!

Quick Reply: Fuel Injection Vs. Carboration - Pros and Cons?