Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AIR shocks (touring) - who has them?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 12:45 PM
JimboFXD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AIR shocks (touring) - who has them?

Gunny Bob,
Yes mine are the 12" shocks they call (Lowering shocks.) My stock shocks are 13". I wanted to lower the rear of the bike so I went with the 12". I would talk to your friend and see if he had any trouble with the shocks, if he didn't and you don't see any signs of leaking I would buy them. depending on what he is giving you with the shocks you might need a couple parts to make them work like the schrader valve and the special plugs that screw into the shocks to run the air lines. I posted a list of parts and I believe the prices awhile back so if you do a search you should find it. I went to a couple dealerships and was told that you have to order all of the parts seperatly, this is not true. There is a price for the whole air hose/schrader valve assemble but, you will have to get the two air hose plugs that screw into the shocks seperate. I enede up running the air line under my seat and when I need to change the pressure I pop the seat off. I can't remember what pressure I run them at for sure. I do mostly single riding and have them set at the lowest setting...I think it's 15 lbs. but i'll check it when I get home and post it for you. I hope this helps. If you decide to do this post some pic's.

ORIGINAL: gunnyBob

Hi Jimbo, interresting modification and averycool bike. Bob/Shop style!
If I read you well these are 12" custom shocks as on some Factory Road King.
I have a buddy here in Belgium who replace hisset of 12"at about 25000 miles by stock 13" ones.
Following your comments I think I am going to buy these.
They look good, But isn't it to much miles on? What do you think?
Which air pressure do you set yours?
Sorry for my English, not always too easy to find the correct words!

Gunny.

[IMG]local://upfiles/32536/D4790747D767437FAE413698F3B92370.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-23-2007, 01:01 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After you've ridden a Dyna that has been upgraded to Progressives - or after you've ridden one of the air-shock equipped touring bikes, you'll see what a piece of crap the stock Dyna rear suspension is.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:00 PM
Bobber Rider
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: JimboFXD
.....depending on what he is giving you with the shocks you might need a couple parts to make them work like the schrader valve and the special plugs that screw into the shocks to run the air lines....
Jimbo
isn't it possible to locate plugs that will screw into the shocks and allow you to pump air into each one individualy from the air-pump at the gas station instead of having to run the hard lines?
i assume that way pressure won't be kept equal but if you check it regularly and the shoks don't have too much leaks....?

Old 05-23-2007, 02:32 PM
JimboFXD
Cruiser

Someone may make a plug that you can pump them up individually but I haven't found one, I tried cutting down a couple valve stems but they didn't work. The shocks are a pipe thread for the plugs. From what i have been told you need to use a small bicycle type pump or you will bust the shocks. The parts needed to run the plastic lines are about $50 from Harley. Running the lines is no big deal they are just plastic hose. I'll try to take some pic's when I get home.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:39 PM
JimboFXD
Cruiser

Gunny bob, That fat front tire looks perfect on your Bob...What size tire is it?

Old 05-23-2007, 02:45 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Jimbo I LOVE THOSE SHOCKS!!! i want to float on a cloud when riding... how do i get those? where did you find them? what are they called... sorry about 1000 questions i just really love that look! and the soft ride would be great... I ride my bob like i stole it and i get wheel hop alot running out of the corners... I am upgrading to the 180 Avon Venum tire and will do this shock mod at the same time... that way i can wip the turns and SLAM IT BACK in the straits...
you can alwaysride a fast bike slow but you can never ride a slow bike fast!

Old 05-23-2007, 03:02 PM
gunnyBob
Cruiser

Thanks JimboFXD, my buddy said that he will let me try the shocks so I will not have any "surprise".
The shocks on the Street Bob are 12" length so it's perfect for me it will change nothing in ground clearance, just a better ride!
I already have a Progressive Suspension air pump and I can make plugs with valves to pump them individually, no problem!
I also mostly ride single so I will start "softly" and see.
Will post some pics. as soon they will be on for sure.
The front tire is a Dunlop D205 140/75RX17" on a 17"X3.5" Morad rim with special fabrication spokes. The fender is a home modifiedBK Pro Comp 150mm. from Motorcycle Storehouse in the Netherland.
Gunny.

[IMG]local://upfiles/32536/5538A7FA58C44327B3DEAD727E0C3412.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/32536/3A8BCFFF6D79469797CD4772B81E4242.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-23-2007, 03:37 PM
JimboFXD
Cruiser

JRK5892,
Glad you like them. They are lowering shocks for a harley touring bike. You can pick them up at the dealership or find a good deal on ebay.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:40 PM
haksaw
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was going to do this mod on my bob but here's what I found:

1. The regular touring shocks are much longer than the stock bob shocks.
2. The lowering touring shocks are still about 1/2"-3/4" longer than the stock bob shocks
3.If you buy them from someone used...MAKE SURE they put the plugs inwhere the air valvesgobefore shipping otherwise you'll have 2 useless shocks and an oiled soaked box for you troubles. (all the oil WILL drain out of these shocks if they're on their side without plugs in the top & you can't refill them)...do a search, you'll find I'm not the first person to find that out about these touring shocks.

After spending a couple of hundred dollars on used shocks that won't work (and one set that's wrecked) I decided to wait a while before trying again. If anyone does it on a bob post some results.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:06 AM
gunnyBob
Cruiser

I agree with your first comment (13"). About refilling Ihave somedoubt, where did you had this information, where to search?
Concerning the lenght I did check iton myfriend H-D touring custom shocks and it's the same 12" as on the stock Street Bob.
Gunny.

[IMG]local://upfiles/32536/2F8AE1D62D534E569906B6C8609BAA42.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: AIR shocks (touring) - who has them?