Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review of HD Combo Gauge 70900274

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 12:38 AM
Synstars
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Review of HD Combo Gauge 70900274

Hello Everyone,

So I went along with the HD combo gauge due to its huge analog tach with combo digital speedo. I was going to go with Dakota Digital but thought the tach in digital would give me a seizure lol.

Anyways, I was very happy with the install as it literally only took about 10 mins and everything just fell into place. It was a direct fitment on my bike and bright/responsive just as I wanted.

Perks:
- Large Analog for RPM with large-ish MPH for speedo below
- LED backlights
- 08 and up has gear shift indicator, I was told 07 does not, sorry fellas
- Fuel gauge reading is automatic, unless you have a sporty then you need another part
- Downloading the mileage from the ECM was stupid easy and took a few seconds.

Con:
- Price...a bit more than I wanted to originally pay but ****, it had everything I wanted in a single package.
- It doesn't come with a serving of beer of scotch/whiskey, yeah I know, disappointing.

LED Display
The LED is beautiful in all its colors and not only do you get to select a color you want for all the indicators but even change the shades of them as well by increments. This is done from 0-500 I believe which was really nice since IMO.

Gear Shift Indicator
The gear shift indicator is could be a bit slow depending on different variables such as clutch cable, clutch disc, whether you drag the gear or not, etc. This is because the gear indicator will read after the clutch and gear is fully engaged, it does NOT read of the shift lever. I was slightly disappointed at first when reading the instructions but come to realize, "Who the hell shifts and stares at the gauge?" No one, that is who, at least no one still alive because they probably hit a deer or ran themselves off the road. So the jist is, the gear indicator was a wonderful feature and love it because it shows you 1-6 (does work on 5-speeds as well).

Fuel
Can't say how accurate the fuel gauge is since I have only gone through half a tank but rumor is that its on par with the stock one, not sure how good that makes it lol

Tach/Speedo
The tach was super responsive and didn't jitter or stick. After running half a tank in twisties and slamming corners and gears I never saw it "act-up" where I would question its accuracy. I have read that some of the HD tach/speedo combos the tach ran high but I never ran into that issue.

The digital speedo was great, I wasn't sure if I was going to be a fan of it or not and was even considering using the 5" double analog instead but the digital speedo gives it a nice clean look along with the color change ability and flows nicely with the tach above it. It only took a few minutes for me to fall in love with the digital Speedo.

Overall, the gauge thus far is awesome. I was debating if it was going to be worth the money and after 60 miles of riding I realized it most certainly was. It gives the bike a nice clean look and some colorful customization along with clear display and ability to change intensity of the colors to make it more visible. I'm so glad I went with this one as opposed to the Dakota Digital mainly because of the analog tach.

Now here is the bike ****.

The following users liked this post:
Angelfire36 (05-03-2021)
Old 08-13-2016, 07:17 AM
HD_Matt
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Great review! I have been looking at various gauges but have yet to find a clear answer to my question.

I have an fxd which does not come with a tach either. Does the same wiring that feeds my single speedo now plug in and work with the tach?

Old 08-13-2016, 07:23 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,751 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Nice review! I've also been considering the HD combo gauge, I too prefer an analog tach. It looks good but, and this is not any sort of slam; is it just the perspective of the images or is the gauge rotated a bit in the console? If it sits a bit rotated that would spark my OCD big time

Old 08-13-2016, 12:11 PM
Synstars
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
Nice review! I've also been considering the HD combo gauge, I too prefer an analog tach. It looks good but, and this is not any sort of slam; is it just the perspective of the images or is the gauge rotated a bit in the console? If it sits a bit rotated that would spark my OCD big time
There is a single mounting screw in the back and it looks that I did not mount mine straight! Thanks for looking out. All you have to do is loosen the screw and retighten after alignment.

Old 08-13-2016, 12:15 PM
Synstars
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HD_Matt
Great review! I have been looking at various gauges but have yet to find a clear answer to my question.

I have an fxd which does not come with a tach either. Does the same wiring that feeds my single speedo now plug in and work with the tach?

This table is from the instruction manual. I have an 08 dyna and it does not come with the range feature, which is fine by me since the tank is so small anyways I doubt the range feature would be of much use to me, 1/4 tank, fill up lol

Old 08-13-2016, 12:26 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
I was going to say the same thing. Looks a bit crooked. Glad it just wasn`t me!

Old 08-13-2016, 12:39 PM
Synstars
Cruiser

^.^ too excited

Old 08-13-2016, 08:50 PM
Dyna rider 78
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome write up! Gonna probably be my next mod.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:13 AM
Synstars
Cruiser

Glad this is helpful for yall, I'm a review ***** and write them often when I get stuff because I research before I buy ^ ^

Old 08-14-2016, 01:51 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,532 Likes on 2,141 Posts

I did the EXACT same thing when I installed this on my FDX - probably only one degree off, but during that first ride it was driving me nuts. I actually ended the ride and went back to correct it. I figure I'd be staring at it the whole time and ride into a wall if I didn't fix it.

Sad.

Quick Reply: Review of HD Combo Gauge 70900274