Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

compensator upgrade for Dyna?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 08:40 AM
El Chiguete
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default compensator upgrade for Dyna?

So I was looking at videos on Youtube talking about how the newer compensators ar way better and that is an overlooked thing when adding performance to your bike, have any of you have upgraded the stock compensator before or after adding performance to your Dyna?

Old 08-10-2016, 09:26 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

I'm not familiar with the EVO compensators, but the early Twin Cam compensators are considered better than the later ones.

You may want to check the EVO section of the forum.

I would also tend to trust Baker drive train recommendations or product offerings.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:39 AM
Ghost_13
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,558 Likes on 3,102 Posts
Old 08-10-2016, 10:19 AM
El Chiguete
Road Master

So no one actually changes this on their Dynas...

Old 08-10-2016, 10:40 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Sure they do. Check these http://bakerdrivetrain.com/collectio...et-for-2007-up

I'm just not sure how applicable it is to the EVO engine.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:03 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

Don't change yours, unless yours is making accesive noise. Issues are w/ the 07+ models.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:22 PM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,007 Likes on 484 Posts

I've yet to read anything, anywhere about why this actually should be done in the first place. Any problems with compensators is pretty rare. Of course too, you'll read from all the people who *have* changed over how wonderful it is and how their bike now flies through the gears almost on its own and how the bike is so quiet they could slip up on a Cougar hunting its supper, blah, blah, blah.

When someone shows actual citing, with *real* numbers, *real* specs, *real* science and not just some words saying 'This is like the evo which was superior to anything newer than '07' etc, etc, it's just snake oil and a buttload of money to spend for no *good* reason(s).

When a Bike, specifically an '09 Dyna, can go 100,000+ miles with no problems whatsoever, there's absolutely zero decent reason to swap out one thing that's working for another that costs 3 times and does nothing different. That's just stooopid. Get one of these guys that's saying this new thing is like the old evo parts to tell you *exactly* HOW and WHY this new part is supposed to be better when yours is working just fine.

The following users liked this post:
jmeiers (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 12:49 PM
El Chiguete
Road Master

Originally Posted by cggorman
Sure they do. Check these http://bakerdrivetrain.com/collectio...et-for-2007-up

I'm just not sure how applicable it is to the EVO engine.
Originally Posted by HD Bobber
Don't change yours, unless yours is making accesive noise. Issues are w/ the 07+ models.
Actually I'm asking this not for my Evo Dyna but for the newer models because I will be buying a 2011 FXDC.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:17 PM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by tar_snake
I've yet to read anything, anywhere about why this actually should be done in the first place. Any problems with compensators is pretty rare. Of course too, you'll read from all the people who *have* changed over how wonderful it is and how their bike now flies through the gears almost on its own and how the bike is so quiet they could slip up on a Cougar hunting its supper, blah, blah, blah.

When someone shows actual citing, with *real* numbers, *real* specs, *real* science and not just some words saying 'This is like the evo which was superior to anything newer than '07' etc, etc, it's just snake oil and a buttload of money to spend for no *good* reason(s).

When a Bike, specifically an '09 Dyna, can go 100,000+ miles with no problems whatsoever, there's absolutely zero decent reason to swap out one thing that's working for another that costs 3 times and does nothing different. That's just stooopid. Get one of these guys that's saying this new thing is like the old evo parts to tell you *exactly* HOW and WHY this new part is supposed to be better when yours is working just fine.
Sounds like your mind is made up, no point in trying to convince you.

OP,

The stock compensator is fine until you start getting hard starts and kickback when starting. Only then do you really have to worry about it. Happened to my friends 2008. I upgraded as preventative maintenance to the 2014+ version but i guess i wasted my money according to the guy i quoted. I do sneak up on cougars, just not the kind from the animal kingdom.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:06 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

As MATTVA mentioned.....stock is fine, but once you start really building your motor and already spend $4k(or whatever), another $500 to protect your investment I think is well worth it.

Quick Reply: compensator upgrade for Dyna?