Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

compensator upgrade for Dyna?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 04:24 PM
Good_Apollo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The newer 06+ bikes have a crappy design, the replacement is either the new 2014+ SE Compensator (GMR makes an add on oil delivery tray to extend the life) or the Baker unit. I had an early baker in my 09 that crapped out, they replaced but while I was waiting I put in the SE and the GMR tray, I have the baker as a spare now.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:32 AM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by mattVA
Sounds like your mind is made up, no point in trying to convince you.
In other words, you have absolutely no cites, no science or anything whatsoever to back up why you say everyone should just get the 'new' compensator, and instead just went to ad hominem attack mode.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:47 AM
HrdNox
Stellar HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by El Chiguete
So I was looking at videos on Youtube talking about how the newer compensators ar way better and that is an overlooked thing when adding performance to your bike, have any of you have upgraded the stock compensator before or after adding performance to your Dyna?
As said 06+ is a crap design. Does it work? Yep. Is the Baker and/or the newer SE comps a better design? Yep.Will you ever have issues with what you got going on or have planned for your scoot? Who knows.

Old 08-12-2016, 12:00 AM
harley_jeff
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I put in the latest/greatest SE comp (which is stock on all the new bikes) when I did the 30T mod recently

Old 08-12-2016, 06:47 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by tar_snake
In other words, you have absolutely no cites, no science or anything whatsoever to back up why you say everyone should just get the 'new' compensator, and instead just went to ad hominem attack mode.
Yup you got me.

Old 08-14-2016, 12:03 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

Been tons of Threads, Posts and pics of the shortcomings of the 06' to 13('?) stock compensators - plain and simple, it has an oiling problem. Even HD recognized the problem and came up with the redesign including the oiling tray set up.

The only questions to ask is how long will it last and whether it is worth it to drop the $$ to swap it out early. Now the answers to these questions are debateable and most likely depend on how hard you ride your bike. If you ride like a touring bagger, then maybe you never will need to upgrade or maybe you ride with your hair on fire and needed to swap out when you bought it....

Anyway, I have posted these pics before but it has been awhile. They show the compensator spokes getting chewed up(lots of metal floating around in primary) and the sproket retainer with red/brown burnt oil residue all over it along with significant scratching:

Even the sliding cam is starting to lose metal.....

Last edited by HD Pilot; 08-14-2016 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:03 PM
Gearhead88
Tourer
Received 121 Likes on 80 Posts

I worked for a dealership for close to 30 years , I never changed more than a handful of the early version compensators over a period of several years . The later version as shown in the pics above are going to be a serious problem as those vehicles age and accumulate miles , they tear themselves up in a short time , the 3 spoked design wears rapidly . Extended warranty paid for several of them while I was working at the dealership.

I bought a 2016 FXDLS this spring , it was time for a new bike, I gotta say , the compensator on this one is noisy . There is no need to go into the primary at this time but when I do , I expect to see some messed up parts , it sounds that bad.

The following users liked this post:
HrdNox (08-14-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 06:38 PM
izhd
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

I believe it's another way to lower your gearing. So essentially you can do front and rear pulley swap, or do compensator and clutch basket with different number of teeth. first one is more price efficient but more work.