Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 06:28 PM
Highgrade
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil Change

I recently had my oil changed at the local HD dealer and when I got home I noticed then when hot and on the jiffy stand the oil level is about 1/2 an inch over the full mark on the stick. Did they put to much oil in the crank case and should I remove some?

Old 08-07-2016, 06:38 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,751 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Oh, I'd drain just a bit

You want 3 to 3 1/2 hash marks on the stick on a cold check; when hot it's exactly on the mark. Dealers never do it right; simply because they don't care. Changing your own fluids isn't at all a hard job and I can pretty much guarantee you'd do a better job

Old 08-07-2016, 07:14 PM
robertomendo
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Answered you on the Switchback Forum. The same advice basically as Tin Cup Chalice.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:27 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Highgrade
I recently had my oil changed at the local HD dealer and when I got home I noticed then when hot and on the jiffy stand the oil level is about 1/2 an inch over the full mark
Ok,,
You took your bike the dealer for an oil change.
So we can't even be sure you know "how" to check your oil level. Believe me,, there are people that don't bother reading instructions and do not know how to check oil level.
But you come here,, with no pictures, no description of the bike or model, fully trusting some "dealer" to do your fluid change,, and ask us if the dealer did the right or wrong thing?
If you think there is too much oil,, then take some out. It's too easy.
Personally if I had to take my bike to a dealer for an oil change,, and I thought they put too much in,, I'd find a lawyer!!

Old 08-07-2016, 09:50 PM
iceman4160
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Some dealers don't even pull the drain plug they siphon it

Old 08-07-2016, 09:58 PM
Archex
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnMn
Ok,,
You took your bike the dealer for an oil change.
So we can't even be sure you know "how" to check your oil level. Believe me,, there are people that don't bother reading instructions and do not know how to check oil level.
But you come here,, with no pictures, no description of the bike or model, fully trusting some "dealer" to do your fluid change,, and ask us if the dealer did the right or wrong thing?
If you think there is too much oil,, then take some out. It's too easy.
Personally if I had to take my bike to a dealer for an oil change,, and I thought they put too much in,, I'd find a lawyer!!
That's a doucebag answer. I assume the day you bought your first bike you knew everything and never needed help???? If you can't be helpful then just spectate.

The following 3 users liked this post by Archex:
cvaria (08-07-2016), jtarter (08-07-2016), Qdog002 (08-07-2016)
Old 08-07-2016, 10:11 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Archex
That's a doucebag answer.
And a doucebag problem,
Sorry if millennials today need to get all their answers immediately by looking on the on the internet instead of using their brain as a cognitive tool.
What kind of problem can possibly exist when you have paid cash to a certified entity for a mechanical issue that can be solved via the world wide web that can't be dealt with directly with the person you paid money to?

Gadd's people,, get a life.
Ya can't ride because your worried about a dip stick? And/or can't deal with a dip stick reading because you might have to touch a tool?
Why did the person buy a bike?

Old 08-07-2016, 10:23 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 868 Likes on 547 Posts

Highgrade, first I have to ask when on the jiffy stand did you wipe the stick, then screw it back in all the way and then remove and check the level? Also, every motor has a sweet spot. Mine when cold, is 3 hash marks above the add level. When hot, mine only moves up only 1 to 1 1/2 hash marks more. As long as you are in the middle of the 2 ranges, you`ll be okay.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:24 PM
crusader1
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry i have to agree with johnMn on this one.

Knowing simple mechanical skills like checking fluid levels is a must if you own a bike.

Whats next...blaming the dealer for low tire pressure cause you don't know how to check it?

Old 08-07-2016, 10:46 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by crusader1
Sorry i have to agree with johnMn on this one.

Knowing simple mechanical skills like checking fluid levels is a must if you own a bike.

Whats next...blaming the dealer for low tire pressure cause you don't know how to check it?
it's not a given... it's learned/taught. i'm guilty of all kinds of fails like the OP, All Kindz!!! i get frustrated with some of the stuff i see popping up here.. (mostly in the sportster forums)... but, at one point.. it was me asking and doing stupid stuff

all kinds!!

Last edited by cvaria; 08-07-2016 at 10:54 PM.