Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gutted my stock muff's.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 09:54 PM
RAPTORAZ
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gutted my stock muff's.

Since I plan on doing a pipe filter and SERT in the future, but don't have the coin at the moment. I decided to see what I could do to liven up the stock mufflers. So I took a 2" hole saw and cut through the welds, and then drove out the entire baffle from the inside out. Basically making them straight pipes. Surprisingly enough, it's still not all that loud. It definately has more bark. But it's not obnoxiously loud. Best of all, the bike seems a little more peppy. Just thought I'd share if anyone had thoughts about doing the same thing.

Old 05-24-2007, 02:04 AM
mikehunthurtz
Intermediate
Default RE: Gutted my stock muff's.

i think even bamboo hollowed out is better than stock.I believe those stock baffles strangle the engine with its own exhaust. I went the the RUSH slip on w/ 2" baffles.Extra horsies right away and it is THE sound everybody wants( except my neighbors)

[IMG]local://upfiles/11023/BC3B6E25158B46329648D7F636581884.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-25-2007, 10:18 AM
RAPTORAZ
Advanced

Just thought I'd update this thread after have ridden it to work this past week with gutted pipes. the bike definitely seems to have more poop. The bottom and midrange are stronger. Not dramatically so, but noticeable. the bike seems to have gotten louder too. It's still not obnoxious, but you won't be sneaking up on anyone. Even with the pipes gutted however, the stock exhaust necks down inside to about 1.25 inches inside, so at WOT, it's sounds a little funny. But at idle, cruise and 1/2 to 3/4 throttle acceleration it sounds awesome. [sm=biker2.gif]

Old 05-25-2007, 12:27 PM
hksb
Cruiser

i got the rush slip ons. at first they scared me and now i am used to them

Old 05-25-2007, 07:37 PM
DLW_FLHTC
Road Warrior

My dealer removed the baffles for me after I went to my first event and was embarassed by how quite my bike was. I love it.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:16 PM
dynaguy
Cruiser

Did you have to take mufflers off to do this ? Just how hard was it to do? Had a hd tech tell me due to taper of pipes you can not get baffles out. Would like to do this on mine. Got 07 WG. Would like more details on doing this. Thanks..

Old 06-02-2007, 08:39 PM
RAPTORAZ
Advanced

ORIGINAL: dynaguy

Did you have to take mufflers off to do this ? Just how hard was it to do? Had a hd tech tell me due to taper of pipes you can not get baffles out. Would like to do this on mine. Got 07 WG. Would like more details on doing this. Thanks..
Step by step instructions:

1) Use a 2" holesaw, attached to a drill, and completely cut through the welds at the outlet of the muffler. If you have a Dremel or small grinder, grind down the welds even further. This will help to get the baffle out easier.

2) Remove muffler. The mufflersare clamped to the pipes at the entrance of the muffler. They also have a brace that connects the two mufflers together.

3) Chuck up muffler in a vice, or have someone else holdit(I had a helper hold it).

4) Take a long bar or something equivalent(I used a piece of 3/4" steel rod approximately 3' long with the biggest size socket I could get to drop in there - sorry don't remember what size) and drive the baffle out with a BFH(Big FHammer). Drive it from the inlet of the muffler to the exit of the muffler. If the fiberglass packing stayed in there, reach in a pull it out with some pliers. One of mine stayed in the muffler, one came out with the baffle.

5) Reinstall muffler.

6) Repeat procedure for other muffler.

7) Enjoy the rumble.

The hardest part is driving out the baffle with a hammer. Them babies are well stuck.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:14 PM
crushem77
Tourer

ORIGINAL: RAPTORAZ
1) Use a 2" holesaw, attached to a drill, and completely cut through the welds at the outlet of the muffler. If you have a Dremel or small grinder, grind down the welds even further. This will help to get the baffle out easier.
Dang...we did it the hard way and just beat them out with a mallet.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:14 PM
boogiewithtuck
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: RAPTORAZ

Just thought I'd update this thread after have ridden it to work this past week with gutted pipes. the bike definitely seems to have more poop. The bottom and midrange are stronger. Not dramatically so, but noticeable. the bike seems to have gotten louder too. It's still not obnoxious, but you won't be sneaking up on anyone. Even with the pipes gutted however, the stock exhaust necks down inside to about 1.25 inches inside, so at WOT, it's sounds a little funny. But at idle, cruise and 1/2 to 3/4 throttle acceleration it sounds awesome. [sm=biker2.gif]
I did the same thing to the stockers on my '06 FXDBI just for kicks (also painted them black) - sound reminded me of a hopped-up VW @ idle...Throw them on every now and then but can't get over that funky tone!

Old 06-03-2007, 09:41 AM
dynaguy
Cruiser

Thanks for reply.Dont soundto hard.

Quick Reply: Gutted my stock muff's.