Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gutted my stock muff's.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 10:24 AM
bwhte
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gutted my stock muff's.

If the only thing you are looking for is noise then you may be happy. My stock pipes were cut out of my 06 st.bob when I bought it, it wasn't too bad until it was running next to my bro_ inlaws lowrider with seII's and then I realized how bad it really sounded. It was loud but it sounded terrible,like it had tincans for mufflers, no deep bassy tone. I got them off asap and put on a set of rush 1.75's and can't believe how much better it sounds. Save up and get a set of real pipes.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:45 AM
urban cowboy
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anything is better than the stock system sound. The stock system really chokes up the big TC96. Let her breath man![sm=icon_rock.gif]

URBAN COWBOY

Old 06-03-2007, 11:14 AM
RAPTORAZ
Advanced

ORIGINAL: bwhte

If the only thing you are looking for is noise then you may be happy. My stock pipes were cut out of my 06 st.bob when I bought it, it wasn't too bad until it was running next to my bro_ inlaws lowrider with seII's and then I realized how bad it really sounded. It was loud but it sounded terrible,like it had tincans for mufflers, no deep bassy tone. I got them off asap and put on a set of rush 1.75's and can't believe how much better it sounds. Save up and get a set of real pipes.
Must be a trait of the 88. My 96 has a very deep note with gutted stock muffs. It sounds as deep and rumbly as any other big twin with an aftermarket exhaust. At least at anything other than WOT. At WOT the note gets higher in pitch.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:51 PM
boogiewithtuck
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: RAPTORAZ

ORIGINAL: bwhte

Must be a trait of the 88. My 96 has a very deep note with gutted stock muffs. It sounds as deep and rumbly as any other big twin with an aftermarket exhaust. At least at anything other than WOT. At WOT the note gets higher in pitch.
I think the difference (feel free to correct if I'm off here) is Raptoraz completely gutted his pipes, packing and all, effectlively creating a straight pipe (no baffle, no back pressure, etc). A lot of folks (me included) drill out the baffle plate that redirects the exhaust gases into the packing. Probably why mine sounds VeeDub-like at idle...they still perform very well - jus sound sh!tty at idle. You nmay be giving the 96 a bit more credit than it deserves

Old 06-03-2007, 01:39 PM
RAPTORAZ
Advanced

ORIGINAL: boogiewithtuck

I think the difference (feel free to correct if I'm off here) is Raptoraz completely gutted his pipes, packing and all, effectlively creating a straight pipe (no baffle, no back pressure, etc). A lot of folks (me included) drill out the baffle plate that redirects the exhaust gases into the packing.

You're right. That's probably why mine sounds deeper. I basically have drag pipes at this point.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:50 PM
forkliftfixr
Advanced

I took the following information from BIG CITY THUNDER's web page:

All exhaust pipes have their own unique design characteristics, especially in the areas of sonic and thermal pulses, as well as how they deal with flow, back pressure, reversion, etc. The ultimate goal is to create the proper amount of back pressure, diminish reversion, and create a sound that is loud but not obnoxious. A deep, clear, throaty rumble is the most sought after sound.
While standard baffles attempt to deal with these issues they generally return less than desirable results, particularly in the area of sound. Removing or cutting the baffles in length may seem to give more sound, it is usually not a deep, crisp sound but a higher, blatty, brassy sound. When baffles are removed or cut down the midrange performance and torque are diminished. Performance can drop by 8+ hp and torque by 10+ ft lbs. This can also create a throttle hesitation which is a symptom of fuel standoff. Trying to compensate by tuning the carburetor or adding more cubic inches will not remedy these issues The goal is to achieve a great sound, increase midrange power (where you do 98% of your riding), and eliminate throttle hesitation. Our products address all these areas in a "Do It Yourself, Bolt In Device" that works throughout the entire midrange power band to give you a "You Can Feel It In The Seat Of Your Pants" performance kick. All this and a Killer Sound Too!

Old 06-03-2007, 02:26 PM
RAPTORAZ
Advanced

ORIGINAL: forkliftfixr

I took the following information from BIG CITY THUNDER's web page:

All exhaust pipes have their own unique design characteristics, especially in the areas of sonic and thermal pulses, as well as how they deal with flow, back pressure, reversion, etc. The ultimate goal is to create the proper amount of back pressure, diminish reversion, and create a sound that is loud but not obnoxious. A deep, clear, throaty rumble is the most sought after sound.
While standard baffles attempt to deal with these issues they generally return less than desirable results, particularly in the area of sound. Removing or cutting the baffles in length may seem to give more sound, it is usually not a deep, crisp sound but a higher, blatty, brassy sound. When baffles are removed or cut down the midrange performance and torque are diminished. Performance can drop by 8+ hp and torque by 10+ ft lbs. This can also create a throttle hesitation which is a symptom of fuel standoff. Trying to compensate by tuning the carburetor or adding more cubic inches will not remedy these issues The goal is to achieve a great sound, increase midrange power (where you do 98% of your riding), and eliminate throttle hesitation. Our products address all these areas in a "Do It Yourself, Bolt In Device" that works throughout the entire midrange power band to give you a "You Can Feel It In The Seat Of Your Pants" performance kick. All this and a Killer Sound Too!
Boy that wasn't the case at all for me. Mine gained power right off idle, and the sound is WAY deeper than stock. Throttle response is real crisp too. The 96 is definately choked up in stock form.