Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fp3 autotune not always saving maps

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 03:21 AM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 128 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Fp3 autotune not always saving maps

So I have a bit of an issue. After a ride on autotune , I'll roll up into a parking lot, keep the bike running in neutral with engine running and try to save the new map. This doesn't work, I always get an error message and eventually after the 2nd attempt it erases my potential new map that I've been riding to try to save.

So instead of keeping the bike running, I tried to quickly turn it off and then back onto the run position without starting the bike. It seems to work 50% of the time like this but this method briefly severes the connection to the fp3 as I turn the bike off and on and sometimes I get an error code.

After reading the faq and searching without any luck. ... how is it suppose to work? Am I suppose to be able to save the new map once I stop but keep the engine running and then press the apply button and follow the instructions from there or should I be turning the engine off and back on (not started but in run position) and the press the apply button?

Any insights would be appreciated.

Old 08-03-2016, 05:48 AM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

When I did mine I didn't try to save all the time. It saves it on the phone. Over 8 hours I stopped. Rode. Went to lunch. Washed it. I loaded one map after the first run. Bike can't be running when you flash the ecm. It's being used with it running.

Old 08-03-2016, 06:35 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,751 Likes on 3,962 Posts

While I'm using a Power Vision just a thought; when you've completed your auto tune run use the kill switch to shut down the bike but leave the ignition on and save your new auto tune run...

Old 08-03-2016, 08:41 AM
wilddave
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RFG
When I did mine I didn't try to save all the time. It saves it on the phone. Over 8 hours I stopped. Rode. Went to lunch. Washed it. I loaded one map after the first run. Bike can't be running when you flash the ecm. It's being used with it running.
The data and maps are stored in the fuel pak not the phone. You don't have to have the phone linked up or even with you to run autotune.

He is correct about the bike running though, you have to turn the engine off to flash the ecm. There is no real hurry to reflash like he said, you can leave autotune on for hours, days, weeks, and it will keep collecting data until you flash and set the map. There is no need to turn the bike on and off quickly, it should not lose the data.

When you hit apply it overwrites the data and uses that as a starting point. I don't ever hit apply unless my base map is really bad, once I get a fair amount of green cells I finish the map and autotune. Then I run autotune on the new map if necessary.

I would think it is a bad idea to try and access the ECM while the motor is running.

I would say unplug the fuel pak and plug it back in and try again.

Last edited by wilddave; 08-03-2016 at 08:46 AM.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:03 AM
emperor wurm
Road Warrior
Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbadpoppa
So I have a bit of an issue. After a ride on autotune , I'll roll up into a parking lot, keep the bike running in neutral with engine running and try to save the new map. This doesn't work, I always get an error message and eventually after the 2nd attempt it erases my potential new map that I've been riding to try to save.

So instead of keeping the bike running, I tried to quickly turn it off and then back onto the run position without starting the bike. It seems to work 50% of the time like this but this method briefly severes the connection to the fp3 as I turn the bike off and on and sometimes I get an error code.

After reading the faq and searching without any luck. ... how is it suppose to work? Am I suppose to be able to save the new map once I stop but keep the engine running and then press the apply button and follow the instructions from there or should I be turning the engine off and back on (not started but in run position) and the press the apply button?

Any insights would be appreciated.
What do you mean you try to save the new map? When I run auto tune, it automatically saves the new learned cells. Then once I have enough new data I can flash the ecm which has a map loaded (generic 2-1 w/ highflow a/c) and the new learned cells will be added. there is no "save" per say. Also the bike should not be running when you flash the ecm.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:04 AM
emperor wurm
Road Warrior
Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

btw, you should be running your autotune for at least 3 hours before flashing the ecm with new data.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:08 AM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,137 Likes on 2,682 Posts

I seem to remember mine telling me what to do. As soon as I chose to apply the auto tune, the app told me to turn off the bike for 60 seconds, then it told me when to turn it back on.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:41 PM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 128 Likes on 116 Posts

Thx for the great info all. Knowing the autotune is storing the info not in my phone while I ride makes more sense. I had the initial impression I had to apply the new settings right after a ride but it sounds like I can keep running it for a few hours between rides. Thx!

Old 08-03-2016, 12:50 PM
wilddave
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbadpoppa
Thx for the great info all. Knowing the autotune is storing the info not in my phone while I ride makes more sense. I had the initial impression I had to apply the new settings right after a ride but it sounds like I can keep running it for a few hours between rides. Thx!
You can run autotune over multiple rides and days. As an example you could run it for a whole week while riding and flash the new settings afterward. You don't have to turn it off and on for each ride, just leave it alone and it will take care of everything for you.

Also as a heads up, autotune is only active once your bike is warmed up. Like if you hop on and ride across town for 10 minutes, you may not gather any new data.

Last edited by wilddave; 08-03-2016 at 12:53 PM.