Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 street bob. No start. Cranks, spark, primes.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 07:36 PM
Daehawc
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 street bob. No start. Cranks, spark, primes.

I have a 2008 Street Bob that has been working great. Hasnt had much use most of the past year due to my job but i've put about 1000 miles on this last month with my new job and longer commute. Yesterday I fired it up, rode down the street, topped off with fuel (about 3 gallons of premium from shell, same place as always) and rode 45 miles to work. When I left to go home the bike fired up just fine, didnt idle long at all, pulled out and a couple hundred yards later while accelerating the engine cut out. All electrical stayed on. Tried to restart and havent been able to since.

Battery was strong, current on trickle charge as its worn down from repeated attempts.

No blown fuses. Relays look clean.

About 5 tanks ago I ran a half bottle of seafoam through it from it sitting for a few months.

30k service performed 1200 miles ago.

confirmed both cylinders have spark.

i can hear the pump priming and it continues when I try to crank it.

Cranks as normal with all normal lights but wont start.

No codes reported.

Yes it has gas in it, about 3 gallons or so.

Thoughts, next troubleshooting steps? I'm at a loss and the dealers around here have bad reviews and are backed up until mid august. Thanks.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:46 PM
raywj
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good news is since it turns over its not seized 😃. Seriously though, any thoughts on the interwebs would just be a guess.

But **** it, let's diagnose it anyway.

Just because you hear the fuel pump buzz doesn't mean there is fuel getting to the cylinders. Check the injectors to ensure they are working properly.

2nd weak spark maybe.........

3rd is it getting air.......

For it to just suddenly die without any crazy sounds and it still turns over sounds like a spark, fuel, or air problem to me.

Stuck valve maybe if none of that, but that is a shot in the dark......

Old 07-26-2016, 10:20 PM
Daehawc
Tourer

I pulled the air intake and it sounds like it's definitely getting air. I'll try new plugs but I was getting spark with those ones when tested. How would I go about testing the injectors? Any easy non invasive ways I may be able to do as it sits in the hanger at work?

Old 07-27-2016, 05:20 AM
Bspike1
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

clean the crank sensor

Old 07-27-2016, 06:28 AM
Great08
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe a fuel-flow issue. If there's an in-line filter, maybe consider replacing it.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:42 AM
Daehawc
Tourer

Just to make sure I'm understanding how this bike works, If i have no codes and I am getting spark then my crank sensor should be working properly correct? If it was having issues it wouldn't allow a spark right?

Would trying starting fluid be a good idea and if so any tips on the best way to do so to narrow it down to a fuel issue? I also assumed that if it was a fuel issue then I would have had some rough running or some leading symptoms before it just stopped right? I dont have much experience working on bike motors so please let me know if I'm off base here.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:50 AM
WMX124
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Check fuel pump hose connections. If something came loose it would have been an immediate loss in fuel pressure. Happened to me after replacing my in-tank fuel lines. You may be able to shine a flashlight in the filler hole while turning the key. If you see fuel spraying or disconnected hoses there's the issue. Change the fuel filter if you have to take it out.

Old 07-27-2016, 04:31 PM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Check your system relay.
I replace nine every couple years.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:00 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,003 Likes on 4,194 Posts

Crank it about 30 seconds with throttle turned about 1/4 open. If it does not start, pull a plug and see if it's wet. If it has fire, it's fuel and that is one thing you did last.
FI bikes fuel system are pretty sealed. Especially in your area, you do not need additives.
I have opened up FI motors fuel system setting years and the gas looks fine in the pressure system.

This throws up alarms "ran a half bottle of seafoam through it" If you fill the need, only use what it says on bottle per gallon. I have seen a few socks gone off bikes on here and even the brass mesh on older bikes from using too much additive. If that sock goes, it will suck in filter.

Old 07-30-2016, 07:13 PM
Napper
Cruiser
Received 119 Likes on 19 Posts

Had the same issue with my Street Bob. Ended up replacing the fuel filter. No problems since.