Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I Install Race Tech Myself?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 05:47 PM
Jackpoticorn
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Should I Install Race Tech Myself?

I'm looking to install Race Tech springs + emulators in my 49mm forks. I have a lift (crappy harbor freight) and a torque wrench/breaker bar. I keep reading that an impact wrench is necessary to remove the drain nut beneath the axle. Just paid a visit to my dealership just to ask about the process (yes, I have the service manual) and they said it'll be a 2-3 hour labor charge. My indie quoted me at 4 hours.

I've been getting by doing most of my own work in my parking garage but I don't have an impact wrench or the drill needed to machine out the damper rods per the Race Tech instructions. Race Tech is only about an hour away from my house and they quoted me at $150 total for the install. Seems WAY cheaper than both HD and my indie AND I'd trust Race Tech the most to install and tune their own products. Thing is...I kinda want to do this myself...but $150 to have the experts install vs. $$$$ for new tools, parts, and fumbling around the internals myself...

What say you gentlemen?

Old 07-22-2016, 06:04 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,751 Likes on 3,962 Posts

To disassemble the front forks isn't a hard job if you've done in a time or two; I've never needed an impact to take down 49mm forks, just a quick pop with my hand and a 12mm extended hex is the hardest part but honestly, working in a parking garage? Uh, no. Let the boys at Race Tech do it for you... that sounds like money well spent, let the pros get you squared away correctly, this isn't even a hard choice

Old 07-22-2016, 06:21 PM
Maxxsmart
Road Master
Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Yeah, $150 for the professional install? I may have gone that way over my Works cartridges if I had that option. If that price includes dialing in sag adjustments, thats beyond a good deal.

Working in a parking garage, and without a collection of various tools, you're asking for issues.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:23 PM
HrdNox
Stellar HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

I say let them do it for that. There will be other projects that come up you'll be more "ready" for.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:23 PM
Kraken
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

$150 or you'd be working in a parking garage? Let 'em do it. Forks aren't that hard but it can be a messy job and you'd probably need a fork oil tool, fork seal tool, and and long enough hex head bit socket to get to the bottom bolt.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:34 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,541 Likes on 2,146 Posts

For $150 I would definitly do the ride. Racetech will do a better job then any Indy or dealer with their products.

The following users liked this post:
TinCupChalice (07-22-2016)
Old 07-22-2016, 07:16 PM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

When I did my work out of a parking garage I went so far as doing a cam change but when it came to doing the forks I planned a trip to my inlaws garage knowing I'd need a solid day to fumble around and the mess it makes etc. Plus you won't do as good a job as Race Tech will.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:24 PM
Jackpoticorn
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah that's what I figured - I just needed to hear that I'm not taking the 'easy' way out by letting the experts tackle this operation

Old 07-22-2016, 07:36 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,751 Likes on 3,962 Posts

There will be plenty of time and many other projects and upgrades you can do yourself; but this isn't one of them. Lack of location, lack of tools, this isn't the easy way out. It's the wise way out

Old 07-22-2016, 08:59 PM
raywj
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you had the right tools and a extra set of hands I'd say go for it. Having a buddy to help out makes it go a lot quicker. Oh, and beer......beer shaves off an hour at least!

Quick Reply: Should I Install Race Tech Myself?