Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed flush mount gauge and cap today

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 01:07 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,540 Likes on 2,146 Posts
Default Installed flush mount gauge and cap today

Had "trigger finger" surgery on the middle finger on my throttle hand on Wed, (I'm convinced it was caused by overuse :-) and while I'm sure I could ride, I've agreed with my girl that I would give it a week. It's only a scratch, but I'd hate to be in a situation where I needed to put a lot of pressure on the hand (hard braking, etc.).

So since I have absolutely nothing to do today, I decided at least I could install the flush mount cap and gauge that arrived from Surdyke the day I had the hand job done.

Took all of 10 min, probably could have been done in 5 if I wasn't being careful of my right hand, and also didn't spend 5 min trying to depin the existing connector on the old gauge, before getting pissed and just cutting it off.

Looks so much better then the damn chrome nonsense they put on an otherwise all black from the factory bike. (Still can't understand why they did that, and the fork caps in chrome)

Not really sure why I didn't take a photo of it on, but I didn't. When it's on you see a little blue gas pump icon and a semicircle of LED's along the aft side of it. When it's off its completely black.

The fuel cap is flush mount, you press and rotate a half turn and it pops up so you can remove it like any other cap.

Pretty nice looking setup. Goes good with the bike.

Last edited by Mchad; 07-18-2016 at 06:04 AM.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:26 PM
Whtwolf14
Road Master
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Looks good. They are on my list to get on my SB.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:58 PM
NC Rob
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The flush mount gas cap and gauge look great! I did the same on my 07 SB and it was worth it (although I had to repin it). Hope your hand heals quick and just a bit of advice, you don't have to treat it like it owes you money.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:51 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad

So since I have absolutely nothing to do today, I decided at least I could install the flush mount cap and gauge that arrived from Surdyke the day I had the hand job done.
hehe, you said "hand job"

Looks great. Definitely something I plan for eventually (and once I decide what I want for paint).

Enjoy your healing time well

Old 07-18-2016, 02:48 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,540 Likes on 2,146 Posts

Thanks guys.

Originally Posted by robbyville
hehe, you said "hand job"

Looks great. Definitely something I plan for eventually (and once I decide what I want for paint).

Enjoy your healing time well
You caught that huh?

Yeah, typing at work is fun - 5 fingers on left and 2 on right (index and thumb). Slowing me down.

I'm thinking I should be good enough for a little parkway ride by the weekend. Stitches come out next Monday, so whats a couple days early.

I'm getting "cabin fever" for sure. For the first time I'm hoping for rainy days...

Old 07-18-2016, 02:56 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

lol!

Same here, not riding for so long is killing me. Need to find a day where I can leave early and get out of town into cooler weather.

I finally received my Arlen Ness rotor and pads, plus some mirrors I bought from Suede. So now I can get the bike up and remove the wheels for the new tires I've been sitting on, do the work etc but of course the garage is 100+ degrees!

Old 07-18-2016, 03:43 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 561 Likes on 272 Posts

I mounted those on my S model yesterday, had them on a Road King. I agree they go with the style of the bike and I was no big fan of the huge chrome caps.

Old 07-18-2016, 06:25 PM
ddelisle
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just did those on my SB a couple weeks ago. What a difference they make. I was doing the install in my driveway at night and I spent about 45 mins trying to de-pin the stock unit in the dark. I finally gave up and packed everything up and that's when I found out that the kit came with a new plastic connector housing .... I felt like a tool and finished it up in 5 mins the next morning

Old 07-18-2016, 07:34 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 561 Likes on 272 Posts

Don't ask me how I know, but if you get frustrated and cut the wires to remove the connector, that fuel gauge is toast. You can not solder them back together and reuse that gauge for any other reason. The impedance is changed and the gauge will not read properly.

Old 07-19-2016, 02:19 AM
ChromeBlows
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Combo Speedo Tach and flush mount Gas Cap and Gas Guage
All Lit Up

Quick Reply: Installed flush mount gauge and cap today