Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed flush mount gauge and cap today

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 05:55 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,540 Likes on 2,146 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt
Don't ask me how I know, but if you get frustrated and cut the wires to remove the connector, that fuel gauge is toast. You can not solder them back together and reuse that gauge for any other reason. The impedance is changed and the gauge will not read properly.
Not that I would ever use it again, but one of the guys at my dealer said that if you ever needed to cut any canbus cables that you have to crimp them (I.e. Butt connectors) instead of soldering. Seemed odd, as I would think the dissimilar metals between the wires and the connectors would mess with it more then soldering...

At least the new gauge has a connector on the gauge side so it could be replaced easily enough if it ever died.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:46 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

What about the reliability of the fuel gauge? I've seen over the years they're up to like 3 or 4 revisions and never did see a clear answer if they fixed it or not. Lots of people were out $$$ because theirs died and Harley wouldn't do anything about it. That's what has kept me from getting these. I had a Tribar tail light, it fell off and HD said not their problem. I'm not about to fall into that trap again.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:02 AM
Rusty42
Tourer
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

My RK came with these already installed. Nice addition.
Be aware that when you push the healing process, you can actually push it backwards... Done it too many times in the Military...

Old 07-19-2016, 12:02 PM
O-Town D
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mattVA
What about the reliability of the fuel gauge? I've seen over the years they're up to like 3 or 4 revisions and never did see a clear answer if they fixed it or not....

You present a valid point, and a good reason to "proceed with caution" whenever customer reviews point to a common problem regarding quality/reliability of a particular part or accessory that has significant $$ attached to it, regardless of the manufacturer.

As for the flush-mount fuel cap/gauge set mentioned by the OP, I installed mine exactly 5 yrs ago (don't remember what "version" I got), and I'm happy to report I've not had a single issue with them. As for accuracy, the blue led gauge is prob no better or worse than the speedo fuel gauge, but I wanted these more for appearance than function anyway. So based on my experience, I would say "go for it" to those who are considering making the swap. Hope that helps.
~

Last edited by O-Town D; 07-19-2016 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:11 PM
Chicago Ken
Road Warrior
Received 350 Likes on 162 Posts

I have trouble with the fuel cap popping up sometimes, had to force the cap up.

Has that happen to anyone else?

Old 07-19-2016, 12:44 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts

I love these caps, they look amazing!!!

However, I have ran into issues with them. My ride sits out side most of the time, covered or not. When it rains, the fuel cap tends to fill with water, but it doesn't go below the o-ring, just fills up the pop section. It's not really an issue, just shake it out when I pull the cap. When I have noticed this being an issue is when temps drop below freezing, I have had the pop/spring portion become frozen in and unable to get it to release until it has warmed up. Lately, the cap has become worn and doesn't always want to pop up, so when my fuel gets low I twist the cap so the vibrations while riding pop it. I want to try and find a lube to apply to the twist/pop part of the cap, but don't know what would work.

Old 07-19-2016, 01:14 PM
Eblank8
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Those look nice. I had a set of chrome, but never installed them. Black looks nice.
I was under the impression that these were standard on the LR-S.
When I stopped by HD to take a look, I was also surprised to see that it came with the standard headlamp too.

Old 07-19-2016, 01:40 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 561 Likes on 272 Posts

Yep the S comes with the el cheapo headlight and standard chrome fuel cap and gauges but on the other hand, it's a heck of a lot of bike for the price. That Heavy Breather alone is about $300 I think plus all the other blacked out stuff standard and premium suspension so I'll not complain about the cheapo headlight.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:07 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,540 Likes on 2,146 Posts

Originally Posted by Rusty42
My RK came with these already installed. Nice addition.
Be aware that when you push the healing process, you can actually push it backwards... Done it too many times in the Military...
Yeah, I know it all too well. I've broken, sliced, cut and tore more then I care to remember lol.

Originally Posted by O-Town D

You present a valid point, and a good reason to "proceed with caution" whenever customer reviews point to a common problem regarding quality/reliability of a particular part or accessory that has significant $$ attached to it, regardless of the manufacturer.

As for the flush-mount fuel cap/gauge set mentioned by the OP, I installed mine exactly 5 yrs ago (don't remember what "version" I got), and I'm happy to report I've not had a single issue with them. As for accuracy, the blue led gauge is prob no better or worse than the speedo fuel gauge, but I wanted these more for appearance than function anyway. So based on my experience, I would say "go for it" to those who are considering making the swap. Hope that helps.
~
I had a set on my last LR, granted only a year, but no problems with it. I'm guessing they finally got it right.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:27 PM
MikeySom
Road Captain
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 394 Likes on 155 Posts

Very nice set up Mc I plan on doing the same where did you get them i like to look at em

Quick Reply: Installed flush mount gauge and cap today