Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lazarus Project: 2012

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 11:24 AM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Hard lessons and fun.

While i was riding the bike to home depot, i had the demon and angel on my shoulders. The demons like, "build more... add more ****". Angel was like, this is good.... you are bounds above where the 103 was, leave it alone."

swatted angel off...

Now trying to get an appointment with doc's.

The following users liked this post:
Søren Rix Petersen (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 11:35 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Do I hear the words titanium and inconel in your future?

cvaria (07-25-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 11:53 AM
cvaria
Supporter

Originally Posted by cggorman
Do I hear the words titanium and inconel in your future?
not sure, there a free 2012 ninja 250 project i was offered. I went to get it last week and was stunned by the condition of the bike. I backed off of it but, the guy is now begging me to take the free motorcycle. That might be my set of sport bike training wheels. Needs about $1200 in parts and new tires. Seems like fun but, new lifts and blah... weighing it out.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:06 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,751 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
not sure, there a free 2012 ninja 250 project i was offered. I went to get it last week and was stunned by the condition of the bike. I backed off of it but, the guy is now begging me to take the free motorcycle. That might be my set of sport bike training wheels. Needs about $1200 in parts and new tires. Seems like fun but, new lifts and blah... weighing it out.

cvaria, you absolutely MUST do this! I love the little Ninjettes, they're easy to work on and mod, and they are the bikes I always recommend to new riders or riders new to sport bikes. I've owned 2 of the Gen IV Ninja 250's; they were both '12's. A few simple mods and these things will run out well.

They're a great training tool; you'll learn how to carry corner speed using technique, you won't be able to rely on horsepower. People that start out on a small bike and learn proper techniques are always the fast one's at the track when they move up in displacement.

Maintenance isn't difficult, and keeping the valves adjusted isn't at all hard to do. eBay always has a flow of parts on it. With my '12's I tore out the restrictive air boxes so I could fit K&N air filters, removed the pair systems, used Area P exhausts, set up the carbs with Dynojet kits, and used Pirelli Sport Demon tires. Those little quarter bores would scream and I pushed them like they owed me money, and they just came back for more

The only thing I didn't like about them were the oil filters; they still had the cartridge oil filter, it was the Gen V/Ninja 300 when they went to a spin on oil filter. Rumor has it Kawi is going to bump the Ninja 300 up to a 400 in '18; if they keep the weight of the bike the same that little thing will scoot.

Remember, it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow

Last edited by TinCupChalice; 07-24-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:53 PM
cvaria
Supporter

That thing needs work... serious work. New fairings, gas tank... all kindsa ish.

you are right. All cheap parts and damn near every bit of them are on ebay. Have the service manual already... just mentally fighting it. That thing is jacked up.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:09 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,751 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Oy, you're looking at a binned bike, apparently The parts are on eBay if it's a job you want to tackle. They are easy to work on, but when they take a tumble without a decent set of sliders bad things happen to them.

I do understand the hesitation now, I'm not a fan of putting a bike someone tossed out in the tall grass in my garage either But honestly, it's a great introduction to sport bikes... and... it's free.

If you did decide not to put her back in to proper order you could part her out and make a few bux to fund your next Wide Glide upgrades... jus' sayin'...

Old 07-24-2017, 09:18 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Default Injectors, B.A.A.C., Throttle body, and manifold...

updated the tune with injector size and just to double check... asked if needed to update anything else in the tune and got everything but a yes or no.

A: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...ttle-body.html
B: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...ttle-body.html

moved on:

loaded the tune.

pulled of the the old goods and added:
  • Big *** Air Cleaner - S&S STEALTH AIR CLEANER 58MM 170-0164
  • Bigger *** Filter - S&S Cycle High Flow Air Filter Kit 170-0127
  • Big *** Rain Sock - S&S NYLON PRE-FILTER FOR HARLEY WITH S&S STEALTH AIR CLEANER 1" TALLER HEIGHT 170-0197
  • SE Pro High-flow Injector Kit 4.9 injectors (SE 5.3's are meant for the 58mm ETC throttle body) 27797-07
  • SE 58mm-62mm manifold 29667-07
  • SE Pro High-Flow 58mm EFI Throttle Body - Cable Operated Throttle - 27639-07B

old boy.

so glad i bought a ratcheting wrench set.

manifold on

tb on

f'd upbackplate with test fitted hoses

good

good.

super stand-offs

done

out for the test ride

Attached Files
File Type: csv
log0023.csv (897.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: txt
autotune112.txt (38.4 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by cvaria; 07-25-2017 at 07:00 AM.
slvrscoobie (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 09:36 PM
cvaria
Supporter

bike started right up, no problems.

took it out for an auto-tune run. felt angrier but, that could all be in my head. noticed some hesitation but, talked to the dealer earlier in the day. they said they'd give it a courtesy tweaking on friday. fair enough. still going to doc's.

everything felt good EXCEPT that BIG *** AIR CLEANER! rubs my knee when braking. if my pedals were not out so far, this would be a deal breaker. it's now hard to reach the brake pedal. need an extension. i now get the why the new breed of air cleaners look the way they do.

i.e.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:40 PM
Nemosengineer
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 159 Posts

Civera,
Don't do it. You already are a motorcyclist and you have good judgment, and to add to this, you're a horsepower junky. You will be bored 2 hours after you get that pile put back together. Remember motorcyclings golden rule, whatever you think it will cost double it and you're in the ballpark.
Get Keith Codes book "Soft Science of Roadracing Motorcycles", and read it four or five times, it covers all the bases.
Go find a nice 600 class sportbike and discover how the other half lives .

Don't forget to look at one of these... This is a 2006 Triumph Daytona 675R, do a bit of research and you'll see why I mention this bike.

: Mike

Old 07-25-2017, 07:39 AM
cvaria
Supporter

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
Oy, you're looking at a binned bike, apparently The parts are on eBay if it's a job you want to tackle. They are easy to work on, but when they take a tumble without a decent set of sliders bad things happen to them.

I do understand the hesitation now, I'm not a fan of putting a bike someone tossed out in the tall grass in my garage either But honestly, it's a great introduction to sport bikes... and... it's free.

If you did decide not to put her back in to proper order you could part her out and make a few bux to fund your next Wide Glide upgrades... jus' sayin'...
Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
Civera,
Don't do it. You already are a motorcyclist and you have good judgment, and to add to this, you're a horsepower junky. You will be bored 2 hours after you get that pile put back together. Remember motorcyclings golden rule, whatever you think it will cost double it and you're in the ballpark.
Get Keith Codes book "Soft Science of Roadracing Motorcycles", and read it four or five times, it covers all the bases.
Go find a nice 600 class sportbike and discover how the other half lives .

Don't forget to look at one of these... This is a 2006 Triumph Daytona 675R, do a bit of research and you'll see why I mention this bike.

: Mike
mathematically, by the time i'd get finished rebuilding the pile of bike, i'd have spent the same amount to just buy one used. they go for $1500-2500

the difference /advantage is that i would have built the pile and know it backwards and forwards vs not knowing what's going on under the fairings of some other bike.

Quick Reply: Lazarus Project: 2012