Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lazarus Project: 2012

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 05:29 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 900 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
tested cam lobes for contact/clearance. found contact/clearance.

clearanced.
After clearancing, did you have the full .030 all around that S&S specifies? Mine didn't interfere anywhere, but I couldn't get an .030 feeler gauge in the bottom against the crank race, or at the top against the inner lifter races. I just did some machining, but after cleaning everything and trying the cams again, I still don't quite have .030 everywhere (close). I'm debating cutting more or not right now... I've discovered something: I really hate machining the inside of an assembled engine! I find it really nerve wracking... It took a long time to mask everything well, and then to clean it out... I guess I'll do it again just to be safe. But I wish I didn't have to.

Old 05-28-2017, 05:37 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 743 Likes on 411 Posts

Interestingly, I didn't have to do any machining to mine with the 585 cams. To be honest, I didn't check how much clearance I had with a feeler gauge, I just stuck a cam in and I had what I felt was enough clearance that I didn't need to worry about it.

Old 05-28-2017, 05:51 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Reindeer
Interestingly, I didn't have to do any machining to mine with the 585 cams. To be honest, I didn't check how much clearance I had with a feeler gauge, I just stuck a cam in and I had what I felt was enough clearance that I didn't need to worry about it.
I almost wish I hadn't measured! I'd be on to the next thing by now!

Like an idiot, I forgot to check until after I had changed the inner bearings (cvaria: 1; Me: 0), so I'm masking things really carefully inside. I hate when I do stupid stuff like that.

Old 05-28-2017, 06:07 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by F86
After clearancing, did you have the full .030 all around that S&S specifies? Mine didn't interfere anywhere, but I couldn't get an .030 feeler gauge in the bottom against the crank race, or at the top against the inner lifter races. I just did some machining, but after cleaning everything and trying the cams again, I still don't quite have .030 everywhere (close). I'm debating cutting more or not right now... I've discovered something: I really hate machining the inside of an assembled engine! I find it really nerve wracking... It took a long time to mask everything well, and then to clean it out... I guess I'll do it again just to be safe. But I wish I didn't have to.

i did, and i went overboard. my cam intake lobes were hanging up on the
rising material of crankshaft boss. i went beyond .030 even thought it was just the material behind the lobe.

initial marks. i just kept spinning the cams to let them mark up the problems... then i gouged them

Originally Posted by Reindeer
i'm sure if there's an issue, it will "auto-clearance". i think you are probably fine. i remember reading that these things are snowflakes and vary in form from bike to bike.

Old 05-28-2017, 06:13 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member

"Auto Clearance"

When hardened steel meets aluminum... I like that!

But I think I'll go out and remask, then take a little bit more out... It's tightest up top right now.

Old 05-29-2017, 12:50 AM
cvaria
Supporter

Welp, it begins... because it doesn't start.

cranks but, no go. Maybe i messed up with the push rod shenanigans. Will step back for a minute before trying to fix anything. Will use the the noodle instead of the wrench..

bike is now on the tender recharging.

Last edited by cvaria; 05-29-2017 at 12:54 AM.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:16 AM
cvaria
Supporter

i put the old tune back on it and put it on the battery tender to let it sit over night. it was rough but, it started up in the most fantastic explosion of 110ness.

1 minute heat cycle done. 4 more to go!

Last edited by cvaria; 05-29-2017 at 07:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
F86 (05-29-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 07:23 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,751 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Fantastic!!!

So much awesome in this thread! Between you, F86, and Reindeer I've got the itch to do my heart transplant earlier than I'd planned.

Video man, post it. I know you've got the skillz

cvaria (05-29-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 07:30 AM
cvaria
Supporter

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
Fantastic!!!

So much awesome in this thread! Between you, F86, and Reindeer I've got the itch to do my heart transplant earlier than I'd planned.

Video man, post it. I know you've got the skillz
yes sir, will do.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:50 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,637 Likes on 1,181 Posts

Great to hear!

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

cvaria (05-29-2017)

Quick Reply: Lazarus Project: 2012