Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Knew I would Need a New Basket Sooner or Later

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 03:30 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

How long has S&S been making that part, I know people have been wishing for awhile....

Old 07-22-2016, 03:50 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Pilot
How long has S&S been making that part, I know people have been wishing for awhile....
Not sure when it first came out but I saw it first, late, this past winter.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:10 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member

Update for today:

Tim (owner of Powder Pro) met me few miles before his house for me to drop off my inner primary. That saved me about 40 min in travel from my way back from work! Super nice to deal with! Can't wait to get it back.

I would have given him my outer primary to coat, but I have that stupid plastic tray glued on, so I didn't want to scrape it off and order more glue.

I'll get to powdering it once the SE comp takes a **** and I'll replace it with a baker unit, which requires you to NOT use the tray, for those newer (2012 I believe +) models that have the tray molded into the metal need to grind it off....and yes I removed the bearing from the inner primary before giving it over to powder.

Old 07-31-2016, 03:24 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member

Last Friday I dropped off my inner primary to the Powder Pro for some gloss black bling and Wednesday I picked it back up. Fantastic job on masking all the machines areas and making a smooth perfect black finish. If you see any marks on the pics they are from my greasy paws. Super well done!

My Evolution Industries basket also came in from JP Cycles, so I pressed in my Barnett Scorpion clutch hub. This thing is SUPER heavy duty (pictures don't do justice). Lot more beefed up all around from the back, to the ring gear, and the basket unit itself is much thicker. Checkout the bearing that comes w/ the Evo unit compared to the stock HD! It's a sealed unit and looks way more heavy duty....expensive, but money well spent.

Should be pressing in the S&S race later this week and buttoning her back up.

The following users liked this post:
cvaria (07-31-2016)
Old 07-31-2016, 04:49 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 758 Likes on 524 Posts

Nice Bobber, keep the pics coming

Old 07-31-2016, 09:07 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member

Had a bit more time in the day so I pressed in the S&S race. Stock race was MUCH easier to take off than putting this one on, plus per S&S specs you have to be between 1.725 - 1.775 in measurement from the end of the race to the end of the shaft spines. I felt good at 1.734.

Then I finished off the day by mounting the PURDY gloss inner primary alone w/ its new fasteners and bolting the starter to it as well.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:25 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

Where did you get the tool to put the S&S race on? Anything tricky, other than getting the distance right? Did you note down who makes that sealed clutch basket bearing? Thanks for all the pics!

Old 08-02-2016, 01:33 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member

It was a main shaft race puller/installer from ebay. MAKE sure to oil the shaft and inside of the race so that your not scraping metal on dry metal when installing.

As for the bearing below is the link to the Evo Ind. replacement made in USA ($64.99):
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/631-071

Last edited by HD Bobber; 08-02-2016 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:51 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member

UPDATE: .......so tonight I have decided (cause of my OCD) that I'm getting the outer primary powder coated, so back I go tomorrow to the Powder Pro.

THAT BEING SAID......I'm not applying the plastic tray for the comp back on a freshly stripped primary, so I'll be talking to baker tomorrow to get their compensator. I know as HD Forum members we get a % discount, so hoping they will honor that.

Tray came off easy w/ a little break clean. I ordered the epoxy glue from HD and will be selling the whole SE setup soon in the classifieds, so the next guy has everything he needs for install.

Last edited by HD Bobber; 08-02-2016 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:35 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member

BAKER COMPENSATOR IS ON ORDER!
(Forum discount does not apply on their comp)

Outer primary should have the gloss treatment by Friday.

Also ordered more HD epoxy for the tray, so when I post the SE Compensator for sale it will be ready for setup for the next guy......whether they use the tray & epoxy or not (depending on their model year).

Quick Reply: I Knew I would Need a New Basket Sooner or Later