Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new FXDX project

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 10:33 AM
BeavisRules
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I think I have the bike about 90% complete. All I have left is new tires with new wheel bearings and a new headlight which won't change the look of the bike at all.

Here is how she is looking as of this morning and also a picture of the gunk that was in the bottom of the carburetor.

Attached Thumbnails My new FXDX project-fxdxalmostdone.jpg   My new FXDX project-wp_20160709_001.jpg  
Old 07-10-2016, 10:39 AM
BeavisRules
Road Master

On a side note, I rejetted the carburetor while I was in there because the original owner hadn't done anything to it and I am now running with a full stage one.

I bought the CV performance kit which suggested a #48 idle and either #190-195 main (I went with the 195). The bike starts and idles fine but when I give it gas with the throttle it coughs through the carb and dies, ugh.

Do you think I should put the #190 main in it and see if it fixes the problem? Maybe I need to put the stock one back in?

What does everyone think? Also be advised that I live in Colorado at about 6500 feet above sea level.

Thanks!

Old 07-10-2016, 11:08 AM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 23,898 Likes on 7,837 Posts

At 6500 foot elevation I would try a 185 main & a 45 low. What jets came stock in your carb?

Old 07-10-2016, 02:37 PM
BeavisRules
Road Master

It came with a 45 low and a 190 main. For some reason I don't think that is the stock jets but I am not sure.

Old 07-10-2016, 04:41 PM
BeavisRules
Road Master

Kazaa! I figured it out.

I changed out the slide needle and spring when I did the jets. When I put it back together I put the slide in first then the plastic spring retainer and THEN the needle. DOH!! Plus I don't think I got a good seal when I put the cap on anyway.

Needless to say, after tearing into it again and reassembling it the correct way it runs like a champ! Now I just need to do a little tweaking to get rid of some popping on deceleration but that won't take long to smooth out.

Old 07-30-2016, 07:55 PM
BeavisRules
Road Master

Been awhile since I posted.

I got the wheels off so I could take them to get new rubber and bearings put in. I know the old bearings are supposed to go a ton of miles before replacing but I figured I was gonna have the wheels off anyway. I also noticed the rear axle was put in from the left side of the bike when I put my exhaust on. Wouldn't you know the darn nut was rubbing the inside of the pipe so I was going to have to take the wheel off to reverse the axle and put it in correctly to stop the rubbing, argh. Anyhow, I checked the brake pads while I had everything off and they were about 75% worn so, again, I replaced them while it was easier to get to them. Needless to say, most of the maintenance type items were in need of attention so I should be able to get a lot of miles out of the bike before much is needed (except for the obvious, oil). Pulled the spark plugs and I think they were ready to be replaced.

Getting close to being done!

Attached Thumbnails My new FXDX project-wheelsoff.jpg   My new FXDX project-oldplugs.jpg  
Old 07-31-2016, 07:16 AM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,746 Likes on 828 Posts

Originally Posted by BeavisRules
Took a bunch of the accessories off today and put on a solo seat that I got from a forum member (Thanks Unimoose!!).

I have new tires, Vance and Hine Pro pipe, new air cleaner, front turn signals, headlight, carburetor kit with new jets, new petcock, all fluids, etc, etc, etc left to do. Gonna be nice when I get it done though.
Don't even think about selling the blacked out parts. I understand you wanting to add the chrome to fit your taste and it does look good. However, the uniqueness of this bike is the original look and when you want to sell it bringing it back to stock will bring the higher price.
You probably knew this already but the older and hopefully wiser part of my brain said I should write this post.

Enjoy your beautiful bike. You are obviously having fun getting your hands dirty.

Last edited by Antonio Balls; 07-31-2016 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:51 AM
raywj
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice score on a badazz bike! +1 one keeping ALL the stock parts.

Old 07-31-2016, 05:10 PM
BeavisRules
Road Master

I hear ya. I am putting them on a shelf in the garage. It is a lot easier selling the bike later to someone who might want to either put it back to stock or take it down a completely different direction.