Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T-bars vs Apes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 07:41 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts
Default T-bars vs Apes?

I see most of the performance Dynas running tall T-bars. Just as tall as mid length apes. Is it just a style thing or do T-bars offer some type of performance benefit over similar height apes?

Old 06-18-2016, 08:29 PM
Maxxsmart
Road Master
Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

I switched from 10" Todd's strip bars with the stock riser clamp (13" total rise) to 12" West Coast Slingshot bars, and I am very happy with the change.

Here is why I swapped....

The Todd's strip bars were comfortable, but they were about four inches wider. I didn't swap for lane splitting clearances, but more so because I was more comfortable with narrower hand position. The biggest reason for moving over to the T bar style was because of the end rise, and pullback dimensions. My 13" total with rise apes had and end rise of about 8 inches... Too low for me. Wrist angle was the last reason. After about an hour of riding with the apes, my wrists started to cramp. Having my wrist angle up and out ( think index finger higher, and more forward than the rest of you fist ) just made my wrists hurt.

Sure, I no longer have front to back adjustability, but I am very happy with my setup now.

Old 06-18-2016, 09:22 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,557 Likes on 673 Posts

Mostly looks, but T bars being bolted straight to the triple tree have more rigidity. And like said above they offer a somewhat different final position even though the overall rise may the same. apes tend to "droop" the end of the bars, whereas T-bars are pretty well straight across.

I just put some 12in west coast MX bars on my bike and yes they have a little bit different feel but still quite comfortable, I have yet to really ride it and see how comfortable they are on the road for a distance.

The following users liked this post:
J.T (07-12-2021)
Old 06-18-2016, 09:28 PM
xknucksx
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Having had 14" apes, i can say you genuinely feel more in control and stable with t bars. Its not something i can describe but when i bolted them up a few years back it felt like a whole new bike and knew it was the only option for me.

J.T (07-12-2021)
Old 06-18-2016, 10:40 PM
glock35
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

I agree with the other guys, T-Bars are more rigid and give you better control. I would recommend switching to the better bushings at the same time.

J.T (07-12-2021)
Old 06-19-2016, 07:51 AM
Fireguy88
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Mine aren't exactly T Bars, but give the same feel. I like the narrowness and height of mine. I added 1.5 inch riser extensions to mine. They keep a nice bend in my elbows and are very comfortable for me. For me it was a comfort thing. I had apes on my Road Glide that looked cool, but caused pain in my neck and shoulders.

http://www.lachoppers.com/catalog/di...481/index.html

Old 06-19-2016, 09:19 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Seems like a pretty even mix of performance and comfort. Cool. I was just curious.

My apes are really comfortable but they flex a lot. Much of it is in the riser bushings that I'm gonna ditch whenever I switch bars...probably this fall. I need to spend some time mocking up some shapes to figure out what I can make look right and still be functional and comfortable. I think the risers will probably go away regardless.

Old 06-19-2016, 09:33 AM
Fireguy88
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Do you have any buddies that run T-bars? Try sitting on theirs or maybe even taking it for a test ride.

Old 06-19-2016, 09:43 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Sadly, no. I'm the only rider in my circle of friends. In fact, I can't say I've ever seen another bike with T-Bars in my local travels. Most of the guys here run touring bikes or sportsters that are mostly stock. Never seen another Dyna in town. I really should go to the local rally (wetzelland) and find some people to ride with.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:21 AM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,557 Likes on 673 Posts

Originally Posted by cggorman
Seems like a pretty even mix of performance and comfort. Cool. I was just curious.

My apes are really comfortable but they flex a lot. Much of it is in the riser bushings that I'm gonna ditch whenever I switch bars...probably this fall. I need to spend some time mocking up some shapes to figure out what I can make look right and still be functional and comfortable. I think the risers will probably go away regardless.
Yup, the stock bushing are pretty much jello. I installed the gooden tite's when I had my stock mini apes on and they helped out a lot. Used to feel the bars come back a bit if i got on the throttle hard and hung on to them tight.

Quick Reply: T-bars vs Apes?