Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T-bars vs Apes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 08:18 PM
xknucksx
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There is a big difference in handling between the bars, and yes there is more flex from apes especially when doing wheelies or riding hard. Apes being more versatile also isn't completely true as you could just run straight risers with an mx bar or bar of your choosing. Ultimately it is preference on look yes, but tbars are certainly more than just for looks pair them with a good taller shock and your harley no longer handles like a fridge on wheels.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:26 PM
SquishyLowRider
Road Master
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by xknucksx
There is a big difference in handling between the bars, and yes there is more flex from apes especially when doing wheelies or riding hard. Apes being more versatile also isn't completely true as you could just run straight risers with an mx bar or bar of your choosing. Ultimately it is preference on look yes, but tbars are certainly more than just for looks pair them with a good taller shock and your harley no longer handles like a fridge on wheels.
That's the way I feel too. I was a little disappointed with my Harley until Tbars and shocks came into the picture. Now it's at least can handle some aggressive riding. When I rode a stock SB with the stock mini apes, I felt a really vague sensation as far as handling goes.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:33 PM
Maxxsmart
Road Master
Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Having had both, I can say that there is BIG change in control, and yes, even stability when riding with the T bars. Going to poly bushings with there apes was an improvement, but going to T bars changed my comfort level dramatically. After a few miles, my wrists hurt from the angle of my apes... All gone with the lesser pullback T bars.

Overall, I am very happy with my slingshot T bars. If I was doing it today, I may consider a riser / tracker combo.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:35 PM
xknucksx
Tourer

Originally Posted by SquishyLowRider
That's the way I feel too. I was a little disappointed with my Harley until Tbars and shocks came into the picture. Now it's at least can handle some aggressive riding. When I rode a stock SB with the stock mini apes, I felt a really vague sensation as far as handling goes.
You got that right the difference is quite noticeable, i went from apes and forwards to mids and T's, i didn't know what i was missing! What hagons did you go with man, nitros?

Old 06-23-2016, 08:49 PM
SquishyLowRider
Road Master
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by xknucksx
You got that right the difference is quite noticeable, i went from apes and forwards to mids and T's, i didn't know what i was missing! What hagons did you go with man, nitros?
No, it's the base models. I wanted to try them out first to see how much of a difference they truly made. Nitros are certainly a possibility down the road.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:54 PM
xknucksx
Tourer

Originally Posted by SquishyLowRider
No, it's the base models. I wanted to try them out first to see how much of a difference they truly made. Nitros are certainly a possibility down the road.
Im looking to snag the 2810 in 14's, pretty much same mindset as you also wanted to do the front as the same time. Nitros with resi will happen if I'm digging the 2810s.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:16 AM
tfalcon
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxxsmart
Sure, I no longer have front to back adjustability, but I am very happy with my setup now.
One of the main reasons why I don't think I would like T-bars. I have 12" burly narrow's with poly bushings and I think the bike handles fine, about the same as it did with 6" risers and a drag bar that I had before. Being 6'6" tall with long arms I really need the front to back adjustability that I get with the apes. I sat on a bike with 12" mx-t's and the bars felt like they were too close to me. I have been considering trying a riser/tracker bar set up to see if that would work cause I do like the look of it but I'm pretty happy with my set up the way it is for now.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:56 AM
skooli
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I ride my friend's 95 FXD with 14" WCTBs (brown bike in my sig) when I visit San Diego, and I notice a slight difference in handling compared to my Z-bars. Mostly because my bars are slightly wider. I think the biggest difference with apes is that your wrist is angled back. That changes the way you steer and counter steer. And, wheelies, well, I think I would want T-bars or MX bars on tall risers for wheelies (no matter how ugly I think they are).

Old 06-24-2016, 02:49 PM
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

I've got 16" apes and love them. Mine are pushed forward so I sit more upright but with my Sundowner seat, my riding position is right and I don't feel tense in any way. I find it helps to rotate the levers upwards so my hands are not arching over. You need to get the adjustments right to be comfortable on apes but when you are, nothing beats tall bars IMO.

The following users liked this post:
GWC68 (09-24-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 03:09 PM
Puglia10
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 231 Posts

Its personal preference, no one can tell you what YOU will like.

With that said, Ive always switched to tbars (or riser/MX bar combo) for aggressive riding and coming from dirt bikes it feels much better to me.

I like narrow and rigid (bushings are important here) but everyones different.

FXR division "motorwitch" bars look like a nice combo...Tbar dimensions but ape style...might have to try them on my RG next.

Quick Reply: T-bars vs Apes?