Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint - what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 09:13 PM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Paint - what would you do?

The original color of my bike was school bus yellow. Actually has some glitter in it. But I never liked the color so was going to just paint it matte black. But then I saw a set of pearl white tins off a low rider that was priced right. So I thought I would just buy the the white tins and paint them black and save the yellow tins in case some one wanted the original yellow.

When I received the white tins, they were in perfect shape so I decided to mount them (had to modify the dashboard to get it to fit). Now its been over 3 years and I have never really liked the white either. So am going to paint it vivid black.

My question, should I go ahead and have the original yellow tins painted? I would need to get a new dashboard as I cut down the tabs to make it fit the lowrider. I also need to get a new mounting plate below it as I had to weld additional piece to make it fit, so prob $100 for both if I can find used. The yellow tank is bigger than the white tank by I think .5 gallons. If I have the yellow tank repainted, then wont be much down time as all I need to do is swap out once I get a new dash.

Or is there any value in keeping the original yellow tank and paint the white tank. Can reuse all the parts, but will be down for about a month. The white tank is also orginal low rider. Not that there is much demand for yellow here in the Philippines (neither is white as it looks like a cop bike). But is different, in not a good way.

Attached Thumbnails Paint - what would you do?-yelfrnt.jpg   Paint - what would you do?-subic.jpg  
Old 06-15-2016, 10:03 PM
The instigator
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow...too many choices lol.
Okay, I'm thinking sell the bike and go get the color you want.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:27 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

JMHO but the yellow looks good. Don't dig the white at all. Just paint the bike whatever you want and change it at will. It's not like these bike retain much value now anyway and it will only get worse. Just enjoy your bike and don't worry about resale.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:09 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,852 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Your bikes not a collectors item nor will it ever be one so do with it what you want to.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:32 PM
SquishyLowRider
Road Master
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Don't be scared. It not hard to do any of it. It's your bike. Have fun with it! That's part of the fun is making it your own!

Old 06-16-2016, 12:27 AM
Fireguy88
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

First off, I agree with the others. Do what you want. If I were in the same situation I can tell you what I would do. I would paint the yellow, then sell the white. Riding season isn't year round here, so for me, the less down time the better. And if I were paying someone to paint my tins I wouldn't get a plain matte black. I could do that myself and save some coin. I'd get a more custom rare color that I like myself. Just what I would do.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:43 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
Your bikes not a collectors item nor will it ever be one so do with it what you want to.
Yup. Paint that bitch. Keep the set you hate the least so you can still ride while you wait.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:56 PM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

PlastiDip!!!

Old 06-16-2016, 06:59 PM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Krazy8s
PlastiDip!!!

I tried the Plasti dip in matte black to see if I liked it. The grey engine doesnt look right.

The gas attendant dripped gas on the tank and melted the dip off.

I think I will paint the yellow and keep the white as a back up.

Attached Thumbnails Paint - what would you do?-blk.jpg   Paint - what would you do?-blkfrnt.jpg