Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front End Clunk

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 11:26 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackpoticorn
How do you tighten the bearings? I have a clunk too - tightened tank bolts, checked motor mount. I am also tracking very poorly, especially at speed. I found that both my tires were severely under inflated from when I picked up at the HD dealer (come on man!) and filling them to spec has helped tremendously, but I'm still wondering if my steering needs adjusting
It's in the front maintenance section of the service manual under fall-away I think. Very simple. Only basic hand tools required. Plus a way to get the bike in the air. I picked up the $75 (with coupon) Harbor Freight lift for this (and upcoming front end work). Basically, you loosen the lower tree pinch bolts and top stem bolt, then use a small punch or screwdriver to adjust a hidden star-type washer/nut until the fall-away mesurement is in spec. Then re-tighten the three aforementioned stem and pinch fasteners. Takes maybe 1/2 hour all told unless you need to remove the cables. I didn't.

Here is the relevant page from the '03 FXDWG manual. They're all similar.

Last edited by cggorman; 06-28-2016 at 11:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jackpoticorn (06-28-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 11:35 AM
Jackpoticorn
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Hey thanks a lot!!!

Old 06-28-2016, 11:37 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

No problem! Check You Tube as well. There are several good videos of the procedure.

Old 07-01-2016, 03:23 PM
grumpy56
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Went through the process of adjusting the steering head bearings today. At first I didn't have it on the lift and when I loosened the lower tree bolts the whole font end slipped down just a bit. Oh jeez. Jacked it up and went through the adjusting process and when finished I used "feel" on the star adjuster nut and it was pretty close to where I would set it. Anyway, took it for a quick ride and I don't seem to have the same clunk when going over holes and manhole covers as before, HOWEVER, if I hold the front brake and pump the forks I'm getting all sorts of "clunks". Hard to pinpoint where the sounds are coming from though. May need to rent the neighbor kid to pump the forks while I listen. Thoughts???

Old 07-01-2016, 04:10 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Get the front end back up in the air and check for play in the lowers. My lower bushings are worn out and I have some fore/aft play at the tire. With my neck tight again, I can see the front tire oscillate slightly under braking and I have a light clunk over certain bumps. I'm quite confident it's all coming from the play in those bushings.

As a side note, my PO had a fork brace on the bike and I suspect it accelerated slider bushing wear.

Old 07-02-2016, 01:52 PM
grumpy56
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't seem to have any play in the front wheel. Clunk is much better now, but still hear it on certain bumps. Noticed that my rear brake pedal has some side-to-side movement. When I tap it I get what sounds strangely familiar to the "clunk". I wonder if this could also be part of my problem? Was hoping to be able to cushion the pedal, but with the way it is made, doesn't appear that I would be able to do that.

Old 07-02-2016, 02:13 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

I've not yet had my pedal off but mine also has some slop in it. I assume there's a bushing/spacer in there that could be trimmed very slightly. That and some bearing grease should take care of any remaining slop. A properly sized wave washer or shim stack might also work.

Old 07-02-2016, 03:11 PM
Renoir1
Cruiser
Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by cggorman
It's in the front maintenance section of the service manual under fall-away I think. Very simple. Only basic hand tools required. Plus a way to get the bike in the air. I picked up the $75 (with coupon) Harbor Freight lift for this (and upcoming front end work). Basically, you loosen the lower tree pinch bolts and top stem bolt, then use a small punch or screwdriver to adjust a hidden star-type washer/nut until the fall-away mesurement is in spec. Then re-tighten the three aforementioned stem and pinch fasteners. Takes maybe 1/2 hour all told unless you need to remove the cables. I didn't.

Here is the relevant page from the '03 FXDWG manual. They're all similar.
Did this last night, as my front end clunk has been back this riding season, even after re torquing the tank bolts (which usually works). I did torque the top stem bolt tighter... to about 60 ft lbs, per info I've read here and on other forums. Went for a long ride today over the usual big bumps and clunk is gone.