Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 dyna superglide rear brake help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 03:52 PM
Poncho666
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 dyna superglide rear brake help!!

Can't get the rear caliper to tighten down.. Threads are all good all the parts are there I kept track of the two bolts I took off now it's just floating? Is that normal? I didn't take it off so I dunno how it felt when it was already on it

And yes a service manual would be nice but not my bike

Old 06-15-2016, 10:51 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

The rear caliper is a floating caliper... you're good.. Slides back and forth on those two bolts.

The caliper is a floating model, since the rear disc is not. Just the opposite for the front... floating rotor - rigid mount caliper.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:14 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,844 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by archergodwin
The rear caliper is a floating caliper... you're good.. Slides back and forth on those two bolts.

The caliper is a floating model, since the rear disc is not. Just the opposite for the front... floating rotor - rigid mount caliper.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:18 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,312 Likes on 1,860 Posts

That's all good

but just for a little fun...
How bout this Dyna...

Old 06-16-2016, 08:05 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

I'm going to surmise that the reason the FXDX can get away with solid caliper mount/solid rotor, is because it's dual disc... even torque on both sides of the hub... no subtle deflection happening because force is all on one side.... so rotors stay in parallel with pad forces.

.. and the FXDX no longer existed in '08 .. believe it stopped production in '05.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:35 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,312 Likes on 1,860 Posts

I'm going to surmise that the reason the FXDX can get away with solid caliper mount/solid rotor, is because it's dual disc... even torque on both sides of the hub... no subtle deflection happening because force is all on one side.... so rotors stay in parallel with pad forces.

.. and the FXDX no longer existed in '08 .. believe it stopped production in '05.
You missed my point...

Nothing to do with being a dual disc FXDX...I just grabbed the photo because it was easier to get both rotors (front and rear) with one photo . I guess I could have used a sportster also, but I was trying to stay Dyna for Dyna

Look at the rear...same rotor as his 2008, but Fixed 4-piston caliper. Look at the front and make it a FXD (left only single disc)...fixed caliper, non floating rotor (non-floating in a traditional sense, btw)

Pick any other HD single disc model of particular years (I could list the years)...Sportster, Dyna, Softail, Touring...same rear rotor, but with fixed caliper (also the front)

EDIT: forgot to mention, that's not a FXDX...it's a FXDL (don't let the dual discs throw you off) and they stopped putting duals on those even earlier until back again in 2014

Last edited by multihdrdr; 06-16-2016 at 01:15 PM.