Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Harley Security System shorten battery life?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 11:13 AM
WilllyD
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Does Harley Security System shorten battery life?

I'm interested in a 2008 Dyna, and I believe it has the factory security system.
I've never had an alarm on any of my bikes or cars. Harley batteries are expensive, and I was wondering if the security system would shorten the battery life? Also I was wondering if the alarm could go off prematurely if somebody accidentally bumped into it, and that would a real pain going off
at, say, 4 in the morning and disturbing people in the apartment I live in with no underground parking? Thanks.

Old 06-12-2016, 11:26 AM
joe.1955
Stellar HDF Member
Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

The factory security system does not have an audible alarm, but the siren can be added - along with a pager. With the stock system you will only get flashing lights and a disabled ignition system. Yes it will alarm if someone bumps into or tries to move it, that it what it is there for. No it will not have any significant impact on battery charge or life, the current draw is very small.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:23 PM
14fatbob
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My factory alarm on my 14 fat bob gives a warning chip prior to going into full alarm. That said, you pretty much have to sit on it, move the handle bars, or somehow alter the bikes's resting position for the alarm to activate. I've bumped into mine plenty of times in the garage without the key fob present and not set off the alarm. I know the power draw is low, but mine is on a battery tender when I'm not riding it. The remote pager goes through batteries though....

Old 06-12-2016, 10:35 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

No.
While the lights may flash a time or two if it's bumped, it takes trying to start it, or moving it a fair amount ( off kick stand and rolled ) to get the alarm to go into 'long' mode. I've never had anything that would remotely make me think the system had much of a drain on the battery. My stock battery lasted 7 years.... not bad for any automotive style battery.

Old 06-13-2016, 05:22 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

It doesn't effect battery life, but it will start to drain after sitting for a few weeks compared to a bike without security. I ride daily, but have a few bikes so sometimes one sits awhile. I plug in the smart charger about once a month just to top them off. On the other hand my FXR can sit forever and fire right up.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:13 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Yes it can shorten battery life, especially if you park your bike in an area where proximity FOBs from other vehicles are present; a parking garage for example. Every time a proximity FOB comes within range of the bike the system increases draw to verify that it's the FOB for the bike. If it isn't, the system goes back to the lower draw but not right away.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 06-13-2016 at 07:15 AM.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:06 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,204 Likes on 3,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Yes it can shorten battery life, especially if you park your bike in an area where proximity FOBs from other vehicles are present; a parking garage for example. Every time a proximity FOB comes within range of the bike the system increases draw to verify that it's the FOB for the bike. If it isn't, the system goes back to the lower draw but not right away.
Oh man, you are going to put OP into a tailspin, and the search for another machine.

OP, don't sweat the small ****. You have started a lot of threads for info on your Harley purchase. I think you are ready.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:20 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,199 Likes on 1,685 Posts

this question s out there. battery tender when you aren't riding it. dead battery beats invisible bike, yes?

Old 06-13-2016, 08:49 PM
Chekoz77
Tourer
Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

No but it will say hi to other bikes on a trailer while its being trailered. lol (lights blinking, must see other fobs when they drive by)

Old 06-13-2016, 08:51 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Originally Posted by HDConvert511
Oh man, you are going to put OP into a tailspin, and the search for another machine.

OP, don't sweat the small ****. You have started a lot of threads for info on your Harley purchase. I think you are ready.
I didn't see the other threads. Sorry OP, unless you commute to work and leave your bike parked where hundreds of cars a day will pass by with proximity FOBs for 9 hours a day I don't think you'll have any battery problems. I certainly wouldn't let a security system stand in the way of the bike in wanted. I didn't, I removed it. I negotiated the price down because that wasn't a feature I was willing to pay for. The overwhelming majority of the owners that have it, like it, and have no troubles at all.

Quick Reply: Does Harley Security System shorten battery life?