Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake won't bleed. Any Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 07:57 PM
Lotaluck
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Brake won't bleed. Any Ideas?

So yesterday I pulled into the dealership on the way home from a 500 mile day and when I went to leave my rear brake was sticking. I reached down and pulled the brake pedal up and that freed it till I got home. Today I checked the fluid and it looked dirty so I changed that out and added new. I also took the caliper apart to check the pads and they were fine but noticed one of the cylinders was stuck down. A little brake cleaner seemed to free it up. Put everything back together and went to bleed the lines with my vacuum and thirty minutes later still nothing but air. Any one have any Idea what to check for. O ya one other thing I picked up a new bleeder from my local Indy and it was slightly different than the stock but he said it don't matter. The bleeder did appear to seal as I could not pull a vacuum when it was closed. Bike is a 2012 wide glide

Old 06-06-2016, 08:21 PM
imboden
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Did you bleed the banjo bold too?

Sometimes you gotta bleed the master cylinder.

When I bleed brakes I do this order:

Take the line off the master cylinder. Hold your finger over the connection where the brake line goes, pump the pedal/lever. That pumps all the air outta the master first.

Connect the brake line, bleed the banjo bolt. No air outta that.

then bleed the valve.

If you've done all that the right way, sounds like air is getting in the system somewhere. Bad seal or somethin dude. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
Lotaluck (06-06-2016)
Old 06-06-2016, 08:52 PM
Lotaluck
Tourer

Originally Posted by imboden
Did you bleed the banjo bold too?

Sometimes you gotta bleed the master cylinder.

When I bleed brakes I do this order:

Take the line off the master cylinder. Hold your finger over the connection where the brake line goes, pump the pedal/lever. That pumps all the air outta the master first.

Connect the brake line, bleed the banjo bolt. No air outta that.

then bleed the valve.

If you've done all that the right way, sounds like air is getting in the system somewhere. Bad seal or somethin dude. Good luck.
Thanks, I'll give that a try. I only tried bleeding the valve up to this point.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:14 PM
ravnos5811
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had problems bleeding my brakes when I installed some taller bars after my accident a couple weeks ago. I broke down and bought a hand vacuum bleeder. Had it done in a few minutes.

Old 06-07-2016, 02:53 PM
Lotaluck
Tourer

Originally Posted by ravnos5811
I had problems bleeding my brakes when I installed some taller bars after my accident a couple weeks ago. I broke down and bought a hand vacuum bleeder. Had it done in a few minutes.
Yep that's what I was using with no luck, just kept getting air and oil mist out of the line.
I have the caliper at my Indy now to have the seals checked.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:35 PM
hetkehog
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

try reverse bleeding. get a syringe and push fluid from the bleeder to the master. worked for me

Old 10-19-2016, 02:14 PM
Johnnyh14
Road Warrior
Received 177 Likes on 102 Posts

The seals are an easy job to replace. Buy the kit for your caliper and give it a try. Have some brake cleaner on hand and keep the job clean. I say easy if you have standard calipers and some tools. You need some compressed air to push out the pistons. Read a tutorial online.

Old 10-19-2016, 03:03 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Sounds like you have an air leak, and since it was working till it stuck, most likely culprit is the stuck cylinder seal, whatever was sticking got in the seal and is letting air in. Hopefully your indy will put new seals in it while it's off, doesn't cost that much and now's a good time to do it off the bike. Let us know if that cures it.

If you're putting the caliper back on yourself, and still don't have brake pressure after you're getting clear fluid out of the caliper, close it at the bottom and exercise the pedal, you may see a small stream of bubbles come up in the master cylinder and when that quits, you should have pressure. Word of caution, pump a pedal or lever fast, and if the master cylinder isn't covered, it can spit fluid out.

Old 10-19-2016, 03:10 PM
TheHHMF
Tourer
Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

No answer on the bleeding, but 9/10 times sticky Dyna rear brakes are due to the pedal pivot needing a good cleaning/regreasing