Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripped Exhaust Port Threads

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016 | 09:02 PM
HighonHarley
|
Advanced
Default Stripped Exhaust Port Threads

While trying to put my exhaust back on tonight, the nut apparently seized on its way down the top stud on the front exhaust port and stripped out the threads in the cylinder. Please tell me there is a way to fix this!

Old 06-02-2016 | 09:09 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Absolutely. Heli-coil or your other favorite thread repair insert. Getting to it will be the hard part. I think that stud is pretty accessible, tho.

Old 06-02-2016 | 10:24 PM
CJD197
Tourer

Helicoil...but that front top stud points directly at the frame. It may be difficult. If you can't drill it absolutely straight, you may have to pull off the head to access it.

In the future...the torque on the exhaust is only 60in/lbs, or 5 ft/lbs. If you cross thread anything, 60 inch/lbs is not enough to strip the threads. It just locks up.

Last edited by CJD197; 06-02-2016 at 10:31 PM.
Old 06-02-2016 | 10:51 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Ugh. Is that the one closest to the down tube? Yuck. Might have to loosen the engine mounts and shift things around to get a clear shot at it. Not fun.

Old 06-02-2016 | 10:54 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

I was always taught never to put a tool on a fastener until it was at least 2 threads engaged by hand. That rule has saved me many heartaches.

Old 06-03-2016 | 09:35 AM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by cggorman
I was always taught never to put a tool on a fastener until it was at least 2 threads engaged by hand. That rule has saved me many heartaches.
Wise words to live by. That & if you are tightening a fastener & it starts to bind up, don't force it. Take it apart, inspect the threads & if necessary replace the bolt or nut or chase the threads with a tap or die.

Old 06-03-2016 | 09:58 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

My son used to get frustrated with me in the shop because I work slow and clean everything before reassembly. He hated cleaning threads and painting brackets.

He's spent the last couple months fighting with his 86 Yamaha that had PO with very poor work workmanship. He is the guy in class that all the other guys call when they need help. I come home to all kinds of random **** parked in the drive.

After fixing a lot of other's mistakes, he now greatly appreciates the benefits of doing it right. He really bags on poor quality work. Makes me smile.

The following users liked this post:
robbyville (06-03-2016)
Old 06-03-2016 | 10:51 AM
SquishyLowRider
Road Master

Originally Posted by cggorman
My son used to get frustrated with me in the shop because I work slow and clean everything before reassembly. He hated cleaning threads and painting brackets.

He's spent the last couple months fighting with his 86 Yamaha that had PO with very poor work workmanship. He is the guy in class that all the other guys call when they need help. I come home to all kinds of random **** parked in the drive.

After fixing a lot of other's mistakes, he now greatly appreciates the benefits of doing it right. He really bags on poor quality work. Makes me smile.
I'm always surprised by how much kids absorb when working with Dad during our younger years. At the time, I always thought I was just the 'tool fetcher', but as I have grown up, I see that my Dad knew exactly what he was doing by showing me 'how to work'. Anyone can work a socket wrench, but it's those that take their time and actually care about the task are the ones that make the best workers.

Old 06-03-2016 | 10:56 AM
GVan
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HighonHarley
While trying to put my exhaust back on tonight, the nut apparently seized on its way down the top stud on the front exhaust port and stripped out the threads in the cylinder. Please tell me there is a way to fix this!
Are you positive it's stripped? Is the stud just spinning in the head or could it have backed out a bit upon removal and it's threading back in and appears to be stripped?
I've seen studs come out of the head all the way or just partially as you take the exhaust off, then they turn when re-installing but they are not stripped. Just a hopeful thought...

-G

Old 06-03-2016 | 11:03 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

If access isn't a problem, consider a Time-Sert ... Much easier to use ( especially for a "novice" )

http://www.timesert.com/

Quick Reply: Stripped Exhaust Port Threads