Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripped Exhaust Port Threads

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016 | 10:30 AM
CJD197
Tourer

Originally Posted by bwoltz
Always good to have a good educational background.. Have you looked at the torque specs for case screws on HDs?
Have you?

Old 07-16-2016 | 10:44 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by CJD197
Have you?
Yep..

Old 08-19-2016 | 09:01 AM
newdyna
Advanced

I was just doing a bit of PM and found these fasteners to be really corroded. I am disappointed, since years ago, some companies like VW used a very special alloy fastener for exhaust studs and nuts. Evidently our Willie has ignored same....not sure about alloy, but rusty as hell on mine. So, before removal, it needs a bit of wire brush and lots of lube to prevent problems, if possible. One note after reading the thread, is that no lock tite will work at these temps. Note that just some heat is required to help remove fasteners when even the red is used....blue much less. Agree on using either anti-seize (note LOTS of different temp apps due to metals in the stuff....some go way above 2000F), or dielectric lube on electrics of ALL types. Lock tite required on the moving parts such as compensator, valve train drive gear, and so on. I agree with above statements that if properly torqued and sometimes locked, most fasteners will behave. I have been working on these things for about 50 years, including things like complete rebuild of honda 750 in the early 70's. Lots of harleys, lots of auto engines, and also an ME. Keys discussed earlier in thread are care on details, no short cuts on quality, and things seem to work. My rust does kinda **** me off....can't really PM something of poor quality, imo. Would also like to have seen a steel insert in the aluminum here??? I think I will try to wire brush and apply some high temp anti seize to help slow things down.

Old 08-19-2016 | 11:15 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by newdyna
I was just doing a bit of PM and found these fasteners to be really corroded. I am disappointed, since years ago, some companies like VW used a very special alloy fastener for exhaust studs and nuts. Evidently our Willie has ignored same....not sure about alloy, but rusty as hell on mine. So, before removal, it needs a bit of wire brush and lots of lube to prevent problems, if possible. One note after reading the thread, is that no lock tite will work at these temps. Note that just some heat is required to help remove fasteners when even the red is used....blue much less. Agree on using either anti-seize (note LOTS of different temp apps due to metals in the stuff....some go way above 2000F), or dielectric lube on electrics of ALL types. Lock tite required on the moving parts such as compensator, valve train drive gear, and so on. I agree with above statements that if properly torqued and sometimes locked, most fasteners will behave. I have been working on these things for about 50 years, including things like complete rebuild of honda 750 in the early 70's. Lots of harleys, lots of auto engines, and also an ME. Keys discussed earlier in thread are care on details, no short cuts on quality, and things seem to work. My rust does kinda **** me off....can't really PM something of poor quality, imo. Would also like to have seen a steel insert in the aluminum here??? I think I will try to wire brush and apply some high temp anti seize to help slow things down.
Funny from what I've seen the current HD studs and nuts are the same material as whet was on the old cb750s... Now HDs do run hotter and the stud are one of the few places that antisleeze needs to be used... (because of the temps)

If you want an improves stud and nut, ARP has a kit that is probably the best.. Whats an ME.

Old 08-19-2016 | 07:17 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Just helicoil the heads and get rid of the studs. Go to stainless cap screws. Looks better, no corrosion, easier installation. The helicoil takes care of ruining the head with repeated R&R.

Old 08-20-2016 | 12:55 PM
newdyna
Advanced

Good points guys, thanks. Me, me, mechanical engineer...worked on nuc ships for about first half of my life.

Old 08-20-2016 | 04:45 PM
CJD197
Tourer

Originally Posted by newdyna
Good points guys, thanks. Me, me, mechanical engineer...worked on nuc ships for about first half of my life.
In that case, put the x-ray inspection on the studs and get a smaller set of wrenches!

Old 08-21-2016 | 10:20 AM
newdyna
Advanced

Hmmm, sounds like some shipyard experience talking....but not sure how in TX??