Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripped Exhaust Port Threads

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016 | 09:29 AM
CJD197
Tourer

Originally Posted by Ghost_13
Anti-seize is your friend

Ghost
Yeah...Harley's are a conundrum of paradox's. For every bolt/stud, do you anti-seize or do you lock tite??

Old 07-15-2016 | 09:40 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

I read a good technical brief from loctite once. I'll see if I can find it.

Basically, you can actually use both at the same time on the same faster, but loctite acts as both an effective anti-sieze and thread lube while also preventing unintended loosening.

I can't seem to find the Henkel sales engineer presentation now, but most of the relevant info is contained within the following documents. A very good read for those of a technical mind.

http://na.henkel-adhesives.com/us/co...king_Guide.pdf
http://na.henkel-adhesives.com/us/co...ives_92215.pdf
http://www.designworldonline.com/eli...tener-failure/

Last edited by cggorman; 07-15-2016 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-15-2016 | 10:08 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by cggorman
I read a good technical brief from loctite once. I'll see if I can find it.

Basically, you can actually use both at the same time on the same faster, but loctite acts as both an effective anti-sieze and thread lube while also preventing unintended loosening.

I can't seem to find the Henkel sales engineer presentation now, but most of the relevant info is contained within the following documents. A very good read for those of a technical mind.

http://na.henkel-adhesives.com/us/co...king_Guide.pdf
http://na.henkel-adhesives.com/us/co...ives_92215.pdf
http://www.designworldonline.com/eli...tener-failure/
My modus operandi used to be blue loctite on every fastener since I knew it prevented corrosion and couldn't hurt in fastener retention. Since then I've switched to loctite where necessary, otherwise I use anti-seize. Anti-seize goes on any cover fastener (cam, transmission, primary, rocker box uppers) with proper torque. It's the clamping force from proper torque that should hold the fastener, not the loctite. These aren't rigid mounted engines. Main reason I switched was chasing threads with loctite in them when I have something apart got real old real fast. If it's something that I think would really benefit from loctite then I'll use it, like if its a mechanical part with forces exerted on it.

Last edited by mattVA; 07-15-2016 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-15-2016 | 10:57 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by mattVA
My modus operandi used to be blue loctite on every fastener since I knew it prevented corrosion and couldn't hurt in fastener retention. Since then I've switched to loctite where necessary, otherwise I use anti-seize. Anti-seize goes on any cover fastener (cam, transmission, primary, rocker box uppers) with proper torque. It's the clamping force from proper torque that should hold the fastener, not the loctite. These aren't rigid mounted engines. Main reason I switched was chasing threads with loctite in them when I have something apart got real old real fast. If it's something that I think would really benefit from loctite then I'll use it, like if its a mechanical part with forces exerted on it.
I wouldn't use antiseize on anything that does not see over 250F. Maybe even 300F.. For one it reduces the required torque on the bolt increasing the probability of pulling threads.. Hope you aren't using HD Tq specs as they are typically for loctite patched bolts. A little bit of LT or even oil on the case screws goes a long way..

Using loctite on exhaust studs will sorta work for a while but after time it burns up and you loose the anti seize properties of the stuff.

LT works really well as an antiseize for stainless fasteners that go into stainless nuts. It's an acceptable replacement for anti seize.

Old 07-15-2016 | 11:27 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by bwoltz
I wouldn't use antiseize on anything that does not see over 250F. Maybe even 300F.. For one it reduces the required torque on the bolt increasing the probability of pulling threads.. Hope you aren't using HD Tq specs as they are typically for loctite patched bolts. A little bit of LT or even oil on the case screws goes a long way..

Using loctite on exhaust studs will sorta work for a while but after time it burns up and you loose the anti seize properties of the stuff.

LT works really well as an antiseize for stainless fasteners that go into stainless nuts. It's an acceptable replacement for anti seize.
Thanks Bruce. .or Max, or No One. .can't keep track. I read that somewhere but I haven't been the best on practicing. Just read some more on the topic via Google and I will be more careful moving forward.

Old 07-15-2016 | 08:35 PM
CJD197
Tourer

I have always used anti-seize on every bolt that goes in aluminum...and never had a single problem.

Then I bought a Harley.

I quickly learned that some bolts on Harley's simply MUST have Loctite holding them in, or they will come out. Torque and bolt stretch alone just don't do it.

Old 07-15-2016 | 10:26 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by CJD197
I have always used anti-seize on every bolt that goes in aluminum...and never had a single problem.

Then I bought a Harley.

I quickly learned that some bolts on Harley's simply MUST have Loctite holding them in, or they will come out. Torque and bolt stretch alone just don't do it.
Do you torque the screws with a torque wrench? Or do you just make them snug? What is the screw size? and it's TQ?

Last edited by Max Headflow; 07-15-2016 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Add
Old 07-16-2016 | 01:17 AM
CJD197
Tourer

Originally Posted by bwoltz
Do you torque the screws with a torque wrench? Or do you just make them snug? What is the screw size? and it's TQ?
Torque wrench, of course. By the book...always. I'm a mechanical engineer, so I am well versed in fasteners. The vibration is what makes the Harley unique.

Old 07-16-2016 | 08:46 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by CJD197
Torque wrench, of course. By the book...always. I'm a mechanical engineer, so I am well versed in fasteners. The vibration is what makes the Harley unique.
Always good to have a good educational background.. Have you looked at the torque specs for case screws on HDs?

Old 07-16-2016 | 10:20 AM
bad tappets
Road Warrior

OP - if you a helicoil on a head, make sure you use red locktite 272. 272 is the high temp version. Red 262 is standard temp grade.

Quick Reply: Stripped Exhaust Port Threads