Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motoillumination headlight doesn't fit. Now what?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016 | 08:37 PM
misfitJason
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Motoillumination headlight doesn't fit. Now what?

So I just got my new Moto headlight and the sucker doesn't fit in the bucket on my 2006 superglide. It won't go back far enough to with the bulb sockets. What shall I do now to make this light work. Bye the way. It's super badass bright

Old 05-28-2016 | 08:43 PM
c-note
Road Master

I had the same problem, even bought a daymaker bucket and couldn't make it work. They were cool about returning it, good people. Took my refund and bought a moons, super happy.

Old 05-28-2016 | 09:20 PM
martinj
Club Member
Veteran: Air Force
Riders Club Member

From the OP's photos, it looks like the Moto has a bigger heat sink than the Moon's.

I just put a Moon's on my bike a couple of days ago. It took a little fiddling around to find a space for the connectors to fit into, but it fit just fine and it puts out a bunch of light. I haven't actually ridden it at night yet, but I was following my brother in law today and he remarked how much brighter the Moon's was than the stocker.

Last edited by martinj; 05-29-2016 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-28-2016 | 09:32 PM
emerican19
Road Warrior

Just f-k with it some. Tuck the plug in one of the corners, not straight back. I had to toy with mine a lot and even held the whole thing in with electrical tape around the bucket, then put the trim Ring on.

Old 05-28-2016 | 10:00 PM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior

You just gotta play with it. It will absolutely be worth the effort it takes to install. You can grind down the heat sink a bit if you need to, you wouldn't be the first. Try coiling the wires and pushing them off to the side in the bucket. A band of quarter-inch weather stripping around the inner rim of the bucket will help you snug it down when tighten the trim ring around it. Mine felt like it wasn't seated all the way, until I used weather stripping.

Old 05-29-2016 | 01:48 AM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member

I have a Gen2 Motoillumination as well, and I had exactly the same issue initially. I ended up removing the silver locating ring from the inner edge of the bucket, after which I was able to hold the wires to the side of the connector and push the whole thing back far enough. It sits just fine now.

Old 05-29-2016 | 07:04 AM
misfitJason
|
Seasoned HDF Member

I think I got it now. I need a longer bolt and I see what you guys mean about the weather sealant. Running to ace or lowes now

Old 05-29-2016 | 12:14 PM
misfitJason
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Got it.

Old 05-29-2016 | 12:17 PM
tfalcon
Tourer

Originally Posted by misfitJason
Bye the way. It's super badass bright
Bright, yes, but doesn't project any of that light to usable light on the road. I don't like mine at all and plan on taking it off and throwing it in the fs section. I had to do some finagling to get it to sit right in the bucket, it's not a perfect fit but it doesn't move around.

Old 05-29-2016 | 12:20 PM
martinj
Club Member
Veteran: Air Force
Riders Club Member

Looks good. Make sure it's properly adjusted before you take it out at night. My Moon's was over a foot high at 17' when I installed it. It would have seriously hacked off a bunch of drivers if I hadn't adjusted it......

Quick Reply: Motoillumination headlight doesn't fit. Now what?