Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motoillumination headlight doesn't fit. Now what?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016 | 11:33 PM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by tfalcon
Maybe I got a bad one then? Or maybe I was just expecting too much? The way everyone talked about it on Facebook made it seem like it was the best brightest light in the word. The first time I rode with mine I thought it went off cause I couldn't see a damn thing. Loosened up the headlight bucket and set out again and adjusted it while riding and got it set the best I could. Either way, I don't like it and it's coming off Tuesday and I'm going to try something else. The one custom dynamics sells looks promising but costs a little more than I was willing to spend.
Yeah, the way people talk about it probably doesn't help. It sets expectations very, very high. It's possible you got a bad one, I suppose. Just take a picture of the output in the dark and compare it to the ones everyone's posting on the Facebook page. If it's noticeably dimmer, email Ryan and Nicole. They're great people to deal with. All said, I'm very happy with mine. The circular design matches the Custom Dynamics turn signals very well, too.

Old 05-29-2016 | 11:41 PM
emerican19
Road Warrior

Compared to stock, it's a god send. The beam is a whiter light, spreads across the road nicely and further out. I don't understand the complaint, but F it, hopefully someone gets a nice light for cheap.

Old 05-30-2016 | 06:54 AM
HarleyBob52
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by F86
Hmmm. Maybe I'm just comparing with my other bike, a twin-headlight Triumph Speed Triple. It has two conventional headlights (5.75" also), and they're like a pair of flame throwers at night.

The difference between the two bikes in the dark is like... well, night and day.

I'll try some more adjusting... But I do find that when the high beam is best, the low beam is above the road surface. When the low beam is best, the high beam bottoms out on the road too close to the bike.
It almost sound like this light is mounted upside down, or built with the beam patterns backwards...

Old 05-30-2016 | 09:33 AM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by HarleyBob52
[/B] It almost sound like this light is mounted upside down, or built with the beam patterns backwards...
It's definitely NOT mounted upside down!

Again, I'm not trying to trash these lights... there are things I do like about it, and I haven't made a decision yet as to whether I'll keep mine. However, I have experienced good, conventional bulbs in housings with good reflector designs that definitely outperform this light.

Old 05-30-2016 | 01:16 PM
HarleyBob52
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by F86
It's definitely NOT mounted upside down!

Again, I'm not trying to trash these lights... there are things I do like about it, and I haven't made a decision yet as to whether I'll keep mine. However, I have experienced good, conventional bulbs in housings with good reflector designs that definitely outperform this light.
figured you had it right... I have heard of someone buying one and the high and low beam were wired backwards from the factory, or wherever they build them.. so its possible it was built upside down... might try contacting them on facebook and see if they will send you a replacement for it, and give it a try

Old 05-30-2016 | 01:39 PM
tfalcon
Tourer

I don't know if there is a right side up or not. Nothing is really marked on the glass. I tried it in 2 different directions and didn't notice much of a change. I did talk to Ryan about it, actually had a pretty long facebook message convo with him. Told him I thought the light output sucked and I tried a bunch of different things blah blah and he says he designed it to "flood" the light out on the low beam cause he had a daymaker and didn't like the projection on it.

This is going to be my next light, just in the 5 3/4 size obviously. It's the same one/style that custom dynamics sell but a couple bucks cheaper.

Old 05-30-2016 | 05:50 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by tfalcon
I did talk to Ryan about it, actually had a pretty long facebook message convo with him. Told him I thought the light output sucked and I tried a bunch of different things blah blah and he says he designed it to "flood" the light out on the low beam cause he had a daymaker and didn't like the projection on it.
This makes some sense, as I find that it does a better job with lateral illumination than it does with projecting light forwards up the road. I would absolutely prefer the opposite!